Why is an F30 a classic and an A25 an orphan?

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Or did the A25 not fill a niche that was already full of F30's?

School me, please.

bobouz

Reaction score
I'd been a bit curious about the A-25, but then discovered that it has the wider 1-3/4" nut width, which is a deal breaker for me.

It seems like it should have the potential to be a nice parlor-ish type of instrument.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I can't say for sure....but it is certainly an unusual size/shape guitar compared to most traditional instruments. That said, I have an F-30....and its shape is not exactly 'traditional' either.

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
Well, that and the "standard" vs "X" bracing and scale are what I'm seeing in the specs.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the Guild F-30 is a legendary instrument. to me, it is not a small bodied guitar. it is a regular acoustic guitar, a touch on the small side.

the F-20 is a small bodied guitar. to me, feels completely different than the F-30. it feels like playing an electric.

The A-25 (and A-50) are closer in build to the F-20, than the F-30. I've never played one but have read they are lacking...something. Guild may have overthought this one and retreated back to the F-20, during the 90s. no real demand (not much supply for that matter), and a reputation for not really having Guild worthy tone, creates orphans. Of course its all about the player and some of us have unexplainable chemistry with oddball guitars. the A-25 is 1 3/4 nut so if that is your thing, maybe with a pickup and some amplification, magic can be made.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They're really pretty guitars and we know a couple of people over the years that have acquired them, but I think they were both sonic runts and didn't deliver on tone. As much as they were pretty, people just couldn't bond. I have no idea why. Steffan had one for a while. Sure was pretty though.

beecee

Reaction score
I just sold my A-50, the R/W slightly bling-ier version of the A-25. Ebony fret/bridge. I equate it to a small DV-52.

Fabulous guitar but I got an offer locally on CL from a well known musician for it that would put it into the "investment" range. Still, I wish I had it back.

Read the Westerly site description. These were made for a smaller audience than the F body stuff.

I played a number of A-25's that did not please but this A-50 was special.