Guild C0-2 - Thoughts? Not finding much on the forum about them

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Maybe I am not looking in the right places :)

I am intrigued by this. I know this contemporary series has a history of having some warped necks. I would be interested to hear thoughts on this one. Here is a link to one I am interested in. I believe it is likely a Tacoma model from around 2006 - 2009. Doesn't say and I have a message into the seller. Should I run?

https://reverb.com/item/3275477-guild-co-2-acoustic-guitar-w-case-used

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It’s nailed to the wall pretty good ...

I will one day try one I like my cv-1 it’s tone is a tad darker then I’d like but saying she has subtle sweetnesses. Knowing this has nothing to do with CO-2 it a pot luck deal I feel tonality wise .

Most of the co’s and cv’s from what I see share the same irregularities on the top under the fingerboard . So get good pics of the that area and the standard along the neck to bridge pics .
And most important neck angle .

Good luck when I get money I will buy one just see what it’s about .:)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well I can confirm that they were only built in Tacoma; that they filled an F30 slot to complement the spruce-topped F30 Aragon; that Tacoma actually only produced between '05 and '08, and that the s/n can be decoded for build date, BUT, I got a suspicion it's gonna turn out to be an MIRC refurb (because of that "has been fully tested" phrase that seems to always accompany the refurbs), so the s/n'll be obscured.
I don't think all that many were actually built and that's why info is scarce.
I think you may already know about the "Trainwreck Neck" thread, but that's the one that started it all here, re potential for twisted necks.
To be fair, I realize now it may not be smart to extend the problems with one model to all "Contemporaries", as TJ Mangum mentioned in this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...coma-Acoustic/page2&highlight=trainwreck+neck.
That one's got a lot of technical info about the neck block system itself and a pretty balanced discussion about the instruments whether MIRC'd or not.
There's also a pretty good thread from Rayk about his efforts in bringing his CV model up (or at least as close as he could get) to his personal standards, what he discovered and dealt with while re-working the neck attachment.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?188464-CV-1-Contemporary-fret-board-repair/page3
Sadly some of the excellent pics on that thread have fallen under the Photofu-, uh, -bucket guillotine.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd run as fast as I could away from that one. My luthier describes the neck block attachment system as the "stupidest design I've ever seen", and you're more likely than not to get one with neck issues. Not worth the risk IMO.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I can confirm that they were only built in Tacoma; that they filled an F30 slot to complement the spruce-topped F30 Aragon; that Tacoma actually only produced between '05 and '08, and that the s/n can be decoded for build date, BUT, I got a suspicion it's gonna turn out to be an MIRC refurb (because of that "has been fully tested" phrase that seems to always accompany the refurbs), so the s/n'll be obscured.
I don't think all that many were actually built and that's why info is scarce.
I think you may already know about the "Trainwreck Neck" thread, but that's the one that started it all here, re potential for twisted necks.
To be fair, I realize now it may not be smart to extend the problems with one model to all "Contemporaries", as TJ Mangum mentioned in this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...coma-Acoustic/page2&highlight=trainwreck+neck.
That one's got a lot of technical info about the neck block system itself and a pretty balanced discussion about the instruments whether MIRC'd or not.
There's also a pretty good thread from Rayk about his efforts in bringing his CV model up (or at least as close as he could get) to his personal standards, what he discovered and dealt with while re-working the neck attachment.
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?188464-CV-1-Contemporary-fret-board-repair/page3
Sadly some of the excellent pics on that thread have fallen under the Photofu-, uh, -bucket guillotine.

Nice... :) I think you had it right the first time sir.. That is why I switched to Imgur. Thanks for sending the resources Al. After reading these too many unknowns. Think I will likely pass. Of course it is made difficult by Sandy's ringing endorsement :) Nothing gets my wallet out like "I'd run as a fast as I could away from that one."

Thanks Sandy. Good to know about the luthier neck block observation. Wasn't sure what that was all about..

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Of course it is made difficult by Sandy's ringing endorsement :) Nothing gets my wallet out like "I'd run as a fast as I could away from that one."

Thanks Sandy. Good to know about the luthier neck block observation. Wasn't sure what that was all about..

Well, there's obviously a good reason why they don't make them like that anymore! If you're looking for a smaller body Guild with a 1 3/4" nut, try an F30 or F30R Standard from New Hartford. Much better!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice... :) I think you had it right the first time sir.. That is why I switched to Imgur. Thanks for sending the resources Al. After reading these too many unknowns. Think I will likely pass. Of course it is made difficult by Sandy's ringing endorsement :) Nothing gets my wallet out like "I'd run as a fast as I could away from that one."

I kind of dislike the bashing but totally endorse the warnings . If you can get all the right pics and it looks right with no warning sign ringing then as long as you can a return/refund option then go for it !

Dispite my issues with the cv-1 and let me make my old point of its buy clear again which was I bought it as a project guitar and it had less to repair then I was expecting. So the guitar was not a “Oh my God I got burnt now I’m stuck with this piece of junk ! “

The end result is of all my guitars the CV -1 is the guitar I play the most ! Even more then my custom !

I’ll will get another one when money permits .
Lastly their are many models that have not been recalled or repaired by that mric place lol

You don’t find them often for sale so what does that say ? 😁

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Dude chill , I meant the non- refurbished models even though I seen two that were not in co’s . Either way I’m not a junkie searching every site and news ads for them or any other guitar lol
So in my travels I have not seen many A OK models for sale .
Mine had the referb serial removed but carried the used I didn’t ask but I don’t think they offered the info either .

I bought a 12pk but I haven’t touched a beer yet :(

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The price they come up for keeps going up and up.

When I joined, I asked about them and was told, I should be able to find one in the $500 range easily enough. NOPE ! I played one at Norm's Rare Guitars and rather liked what I heard, but they wanted too much and it had a big scratch on the back. I would like to try a cedar topped one, but not enough to pay what people want now.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The price they come up for keeps going up and up.

When I joined, I asked about them and was told, I should be able to find one in the $500 range easily enough. NOPE ! I played one at Norm's Rare Guitars and rather liked what I heard, but they wanted too much and it had a big scratch on the back. I would like to try a cedar topped one, but not enough to pay what people want now.

Absolutely right , I have mentioned to Al that very point . If I was to get another Cv or try my first Co I would pay an equal or close price to what you get a F30 for .

I feel that Guild has been getting more interest most likely because of LTG 😁 and it’s amazing amount of educated Guild masters anyway since interest is up prices are up . It’s possible done these retailers have no idea about the contemporary series bad history possibly paying more themselves for the guitar trying to get on board the Guild express . IDK

Also keep in mind that the holidays are about and even though Amazon and most every other Store is going crazy with cyber this or that it’s the one thing guitar retailers are not doing ( offering deals ) if anything they upped the price .

I have been watching the rise in price for a while now so F30 is now the target instead of the contemporary’s

I’ve been thinking about the neck block system a lot and many say it was bad design but in the basic attachment side I think it’s pretty good .

The spider assembley is the most over kill for me and seems more like a gimmick then a proven functional technology as to improving tone or vibration transfer to the top. Just my opinion of coarse . But a side by side with an F30 would be interesting. 😁

Last edited: