Back surgery update

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Boys and girls, I am happy to report that my healing is progressing, slowly but surely, and I have been able to play and sing three one-hour gigs this week. I led the music at church on Sunday morning, and two sessions with our old friends in the Alzheimer's units this week as well. This includes loading and unloading all my gear from the truck each time. Last week I had to put my guitar away after 1/2 hour because of pain in my back, so I'm seeing some good progress here.

So this spinal neurostimulator is quite the device. It delivers electrical impulses to my lower back to block the pain signals to the brain. I can control the intensity and duration via my iPhone controller. It is working pretty darn well so far. I had some pretty intense pain the last couple days and was able to dial in some relief. The electrical vibration feels way better than the pain. Ain't technology wonderful?

I'm still trying to talk my doc into programming my device to deliver pulses in sync with music! The device is already controlled with an iPhone. We could combine music therapy with electronic stimulation; I could be listening to Beethoven's 5th through earbuds at the same time it's being pulsed to my stimulator.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Great to hear positive news and has to remove a few of those doubts you had presurgery.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Excellent news, dreadnut! Glad you are feeling much better!

walrus

5thumbs

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Glad to hear you're doing well!

That musical interface idea is interesting. But you might, uh, want to avoid AC/DC? :excitement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
wow dread, after doing all that lifting and moving around this week, i would say you are on the tail end of the healing. nice!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Rick, you hit the nail right on the head; I ALWAYS avoid AC/DC! Whenever they come on the car radio I immediately change the station! I just can't stand that band. Oddly enough, I love Black Sabbath.

As for the stimulator I think I'd load it with Classical, Moody Blues, Beatles...probably just daydreaming, but why couldn't this be done? Of course, they'd need to get copyright licensing.

poser

Reaction score
I really like stories that have a good ending. :calm: Glad things are going so well. Thanks for the update.

Antney

Reaction score
...control it with your iPhone? That is pretty friggin amazing. Great news sir!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Antney, it came with its own iPhone. I'm still gonna keep working on integrating music therapy with the stimulation therapy, through the iPhone.

Meanwhile, I can play guitar simultaneously and make my own music therapy!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Awesome heal up well and fast :)