Source for guitar strings online?

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I've just about tired myself of visiting the local Guitar Center. Aside from the occasional need to return a used instrument that I purchase from them online...I no longer wish to use GC to purchase supplies and strings with any regularity. If I tell you why....I'll sound like an a-hole.....but lets just say that the service is less than should be expected from a major retailer. I like to browse GC''s used instruments online and occasionally purchase....but that is the only transaction type that I wish to continue with them.

Anywho....where do you all buy strings from online? Strings and Beyond? Is there a better source? Cheaper? Low shipping costs? I need several sets of my regular D'Addario PB's.....and wish to try a few of the John Pearse strings. I'm not in dire need or hurry...so I thought I would cut the Guitar Center 'cord' now....and place an order for home delivery.

Thanks,

Kit

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Amazon can be good - I go by the cheapest price! Lately, I've bought strings from Musician's Friend - always free shipping, no matter how much you are buying.

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
But - "Just Strings" charges $6.95 for shipping. No free shipping available. IMHO, too much for some strings...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I buy strings by the case once a year from wherever has the best price.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use Strings and Beyond. The prices are great, their website is easy to use, their customer service is awesome, and they always throw an extra "little something" into my package!! Picks or other fun stuff!! I ordered strings from them yesterday during their Cyber Monday sale and got 20% off the whole thing with free shipping (which is over a certain dollar amount). I'm not going to waste my time looking to save a few cents here or there. They suit my needs. :encouragement:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
But - "Just Strings" charges $6.95 for shipping. No free shipping available. IMHO, too much for some strings...

walrus
Yes, that's why you always compare the entire bill. I have found, however, that they may have some brands/models(?) that the others don't.

shot put

Reaction score
Just strings for John Pearse heavy gauge for the Kottke sound

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's why you always compare the entire bill. I have found, however, that they may have some brands/models(?) that the others don't.

Exactly.
Strings by Mail offers the D'Addario PB025 single I'm always on about, that the local shops don't seem to want to stock anymore.
I like to sub it into D'A's EJ16 set to identically replace the L350 set that was originally installed on my D25.

Last edited:

markus

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
JustStrings worked just fine for me (shipping to an US address).

Markus :smile:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I sometimes buy individual sets from my local bricks and mortar store, but for multiple sets (bulk), I almost always go with Strings and Beyond. Ditto what Tom said earlier about them.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Shoreline music. Free shipping and they carry a solid selection of good strings. I get free shipping even when I buy the cheap Martin M140s too, at 2.85 a set. they don't care, they just do cusotmer service super well. https://shorelinemusic.com/

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Believe it or not I would check Ebay out. I always find a deal on 3 packs of Dadarrios. This weekend I found a blowout sale from an Official Elixir dealer (which is what I am using now). They are selling the 3 packs of Light 12-53 Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze for $12.75 and free shipping with a limit of 2 packs per buyer per 10 days. For less than what Musicians friend and Strings and Beyond are selling one 3 pack on sale for ($28-$30) I got 6 sets of strings for $25.50 shipped. Always find good deals on Daddarios on Ebay as well, all sizes coated or uncoated. Just a suggestion.

TX

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Believe it or not I would check Ebay out. I always find a deal on 3 packs of Dadarrios. This weekend I found a blowout sale from an Official Elixir dealer (which is what I am using now). They are selling the 3 packs of Light 12-53 Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze for $12.75 and free shipping with a limit of 2 packs per buyer per 10 days. For less than what Musicians friend and Strings and Beyond are selling one 3 pack on sale for ($28-$30) I got 6 sets of strings for $25.50 shipped. Always find good deals on Daddarios on Ebay as well, all sizes coated or uncoated. Just a suggestion.

TX

Nice call...thanks. I didn't find everything that i wanted....but I did get 2 sets of EJ16's shipped for $8.58. Hard to beat. Thanks again...I hadn't thought about ebay!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice call...thanks. I didn't find everything that i wanted....but I did get 2 sets of EJ16's shipped for $8.58. Hard to beat. Thanks again...I hadn't thought about ebay!

Awesome! I used to get the 3 pack of EJ16's and the lowest price I found on Ebay for the 3 pack was right around $11-$12 shipped so that was a good deal on the 2 sets you got. What cracks me up is sometimes Musicians Friend lists the same 3 pack of strings on Ebay for $5-$10 less than on their own website with free shipping. If you look for the deals you can find them for sure.

TX