Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wood choice for second Guild?

Quote Originally Posted by txbumper57 View Post
    The F48 Chazmo mentioned was a Guild Jumbo with a Spruce top and Solid Flat hog back and sides. They were made for 3-4 years in the early to mid 70's.
    TX
    I just sold my '74 F-48 and loved every minute playing it. In very good condition an F-48 usually goes between $1000 -- $1400.
    Westerly: 1973 F-512, 1976 G-41, 1993 JF-100NT CRV
    Nashville: 1997 45th Anniversary (#32 of 45)
    New Hartford: 2010 GSR F-40 Cocobolo (K&K Pure Mini), 2013 Orpheum 12 Fret Slope

Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Kitarkus:
    Have looked at that one several times and hsve a son born in '74 so a little extra mojo. Hs
    Having become more and more enamored of the F40 body outline for its comfort factor (16" lower bout) of late, that thing really catches my attention.
    They're not all that common and if money were no object it'd be bought right now.
    It is arched btw in case you can't see it clearly.
    It'd be a great change of sonic pace from a rosewood dread flatback.
    Nobody else does maple like Guild, and they've been using it since their first flattops.
    If it's been there for a while, he might be open to offers.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Al:
    In another thread, I confirmed buying a JF65 Maple and really like it. My next purchase will not be for a while, but I want a Mahogany Guild. You had said to not disregard the G41 and I want but would like yours and others opinions on what other Mahogany -- Guild acoustic -- should I consider? Just getting my ducks in a row.

My guitars less the f 212 are rosewood . I not wanted a Hog back and sides as they sounded to dry but then I decided to just get one had to send it back but it was the NH F30 Sitka top hog B&S . It had the dryer tone but also carried lovely overtones so that I think would be my next guild . I like verity and having an option to record a track with a rosewood guitar and another track with a Hog or what ever offers a nice separation of tone and would add a fullness to the musical piece .
    But you get whatever floats your boat ! 😁

Rayk:
    The F30 is on my radar but a long range radar. Been researching them and like what I am finding out. Thanks
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1984 Guild D46
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2000 Guild JF65 6 String

Rayk:
    The F30 is on my radar but a long range radar. Been researching them and like what I am finding out. Thanks
    Cool, Id like to hear a one on one comparison with the Aragon and Sitka from NH .
    I really did like the Sitka one I had maybe it was special lol that being said I like Adirondack tops a lot to if their not held back meaning over built/ toned down I would go for it .

Al:
    In another thread, I confirmed buying a JF65 Maple and really like it. My next purchase will not be for a while, but I want a Mahogany Guild. You had said to not disregard the G41 and I want but would like yours and others opinions on what other Mahogany -- Guild acoustic -- should I consider? Just getting my ducks in a row.
    IMHO, "It Don't Git Much Gooder" than a nice D 40 either from New Hartford or Westerly
    -Plenty enough Guilds, Martins and Gibsons to keep me happy and 2 really nice Chinese Blueridge gitfiddles as well.

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

"I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations"

"A coincidence is just God's way of remaining anonymous"

Al:
    Hi Stu:
    Think it was TXBumper who suggested G41, he's got one, but they're pretty rare and you'd better have big hands to handle the 26"-plus scale length. I'm sure I couldn't.
    I've got both arched and flat-backed 'hog dreads, and the difference is subtle but audible, especially in recordings.
    It's really true, a flatback (D40) is "punchier", would probably be a better finger-picker, bass is "focused" but "tight".
    Mine's actually a Corona, they don't get no respect (until recently), and it was actually the sonic runt of the litter for the first ten years and finally started finding its voice a couple of years back.
    The archback D25 is a strummer's dream and does pretty good for playing scales, too. Bass is a little "woodier", has more of the standup bass kind of "buzzing on the fretboard" resonance that jazz guys get.
    Folks like my analogy that a flatback's sound is like a laser, the notes stay tight and focused due to a little less sustain, but an archback's sound is like a parachute flare: just spreads out and washes over everything.
    Overall I'd give the edge for versatility to the '25 but if you do a fair amount of fingerpicking, and since you've already got one archback, I'd go the D40 or one of its relatives like a (Westerly, not Tacoma) DV-6 which due to bracing and a couple of other tweaks is like a D40 on steroids....
    And much like D25's I can't recall anybody flat-out dissing ANY D40 with maybe an exception for Corona, which saw some cosmetic blems get loose, and Coronas in general had the highgest rate of initial owner underwhelment for quite a while there.
    But in the last couple of years pretty much universal new owner happiness.
    A D40 from any factory is a pretty sure bet for satisfaction.
    The guitar that opened Woodstock.
    (That's the real reason I bought mine)
    Last edited by adorshki; 01-15-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by chazmo View Post
    Well, that didn't take long. We're all giving you that knowing smile, Stu. It won't be long until you're struggling to decide which Guild strikes your mood today... :)

Rich's suggestion will certainly put you in another great Guild. But, you might be surprised, Stu, that an F-50R (rosewood, that is) sounds very different than the Guild dreads. It's my all-time favorite 6-string, so I always put a plug in for it. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with an F-50R.

That said, if you look around for an F-50 (maple) you might find one of the Standard models from New Hartford, which are not only fantastic guitars, but they are cheaper than the Traditional F-50 models (which are top of the line). Oh, and while I'm at it, there is a mahogany-bodied jumbo called the F-47 (I think) which wasn't produced for very long. I can't remember if this was a solid-backed or arched laminate. You could always look for an F-212XL and string it with 6 strings.

If you're looking for a smaller guitar, solid mahogany bodied F-40 or (I think) maple or mahogany F-30 will be great tonal changes for you.

Anyway, best of luck in the hunt. Definitely look for an "F-body" in your future.
    You'll find the F-48, spruce with hog back and sides, made just for a few years in the middle 1970s, a jumbo beast, and to your liking I should think. Though fairly rare, if you're patient one will turn up for around $1,200 - 1,400, in very good condition.
    Westerly: 1973 F-512, 1976 G-41, 1993 JF-100NT CRV
    Nashville: 1997 45th Anniversary (#32 of 45)
    New Hartford: 2010 GSR F-40 Cocobolo (K&K Pure Mini), 2013 Orpheum 12 Fret Slope

Thanks Al and may be able to play a D40 NH this week but nowhere near the "Rathole" money to buy it but looking forward to the experience. Leaning toward D40 or D35--used.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1984 Guild D46
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2000 Guild JF65 6 String