D4-NT pickguard

bossbrew1

Reaction score
Hi,
First post. I have a D4-NT (1993ish) that is missing the pickguard. They list one for the D series on the Guild site, but it doesn't say if the guard has adhesive on it. If not, what is the best adhesive to use?

Thanks!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi,
First post. I have a D4-NT (1993ish) that is missing the pickguard. They list one for the D series on the Guild site, but it doesn't say if the guard has adhesive on it. If not, what is the best adhesive to use?
Thanks!
HI Bossbrew welcome aboard!
Duck tape.
:glee:
Kidding aside, I'm guessing that the area where the 'guard was, is already a little roughed up because of the way Westerly applied 'em:
They used finish lacquer for glue which made the NCL plastic of the 'guard literally melt into the soundboard and then applied finish over 'em to boot.
Made 'em hard to remove without damage.
I suspect the 'guards showing on Guild's website right now will have removable backing type adhesive which may not bond to a rough surface very well, anyway.
I'm gonna stick my neck out and guess that a regular woodworking glue like yellow titebond will do the job although I really don't know how it might react with adhesive already on the 'guard.
Hopefully if I'm wrong one of the more experienced builder types here will quickly correct me.

Note your first few posts are screened by mods so don't worry if your replies aren't showing up right away.
Give 'em a couple of days to catch up.

bossbrew1

Reaction score
Thanks! The old pickguard came off easily, so the finish is still that smooth satin like the rest of the top. I'm waiting to hear back from Guild, but they said that they can take a long time so check on the forum!

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!

I would not recommend a wood glue like Titebond to try to adhere a piece of plastic to wood, with or
without adhesive, especially on a guitar top.

The main question is what is the condition of the surface area where the new pickguard is to go?

Does the area look or feel in any way rough, as if the original low-gloss / hand-rubbed lacquer was damaged or partially removed
when the original PG was removed?

Does it feel sticky anywhere, possibly from residual adhesive from the original PG?

Is the area clean, smooth and matching the sheen of the rest of the guitar top - in other words,
appearing as if if never did have a pick guard?

I've seen and handled pick guards from the new Guild website - both were peel and stick with full-coverage
adhesive on the back.

bossbrew1

Reaction score
Thanks Bonneville88, The area is smooth and there is no adhesive. It looks like the rest of the top, and I considered getting a clear pickguard. I think I'll order the standard D type from Guild.

Cheers!

bossbrew1

Reaction score
And thanks Joe! I'll check those sites out before ordering...

Dave

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
bossbrew,

That's the best condition you could ask for.
The self adhesive pick guard from Guild should work great.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thanks! The old pickguard came off easily, so the finish is still that smooth satin like the rest of the top. I'm waiting to hear back from Guild, but they said that they can take a long time so check on the forum!

Ah, this popped up overnight in its original posting sequence.
That's very interesting, I learned something if I'm correct in understanding that you removed the old 'guard yourself?
Realized after the fact that perhaps they did apply the guard over the finish on the HR (Hand Rubbed) finish guitars because the finish itself was applied by hand.
Otherwise I'm guessing it might have been special ordered without a PG or possibly built as part of a run ordered that way. (I thought I put that in a post last night but guess I forgot to hit "submit")
We've seen a couple of samples of D4's that were special ordered in volume runs by chains, typically with an unusual finish color.

bossbrew1

Reaction score
Well, I bought it new in '93 and eventually the pickguard started to lift off. I don't remember the details. Mine is a D4-NT, but does not have the HR. Is it possible that the guard wasn't covered? The finish seems normal with the satin/matte finish.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, I bought it new in '93 and eventually the pickguard started to lift off. I don't remember the details. Mine is a D4-NT, but does not have the HR. Is it possible that the guard wasn't covered? The finish seems normal with the satin/matte finish.

In the beginning the "HR" finish was the only finish so it may not be listed on the label.
"High Gloss" wasn't formally announced on D4's until the '97 catalog/Guild Gallery #1, and it was announced as a new model as opposed to an available finish option: "D4HG".
"NT" meant Natural, no color .
I have to assume that yes the pickguard wasn't covered by finish (it most definitely is on my '96 D25).
This is also interesting to me because there's another member claiming his D4 "satin" is actually a poly finish, which I'm still skeptical about.
See this thread:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?194513-D4-code-question

Last edited:

bossbrew1

Reaction score
So Guild finally replied and said that they can't promise that the pickguard will fit my D4, so I ordered a self adhesive sheet of brown tortoise material from Musiclily. The UA16 template will work, so now I get to make my own!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
A late welcome Bossbrew1! Would love to see picts once the project is finished. My first Guild was a D4. Loved it!

bossbrew1

Reaction score
Well, here ya go! It took a while, but I think it came out just fine. I used a utility knife (new blade), scissors and 120 grit to clean up the rough edges.

GSv0JL7.jpg
[/IMG]
u9aYpUp.jpg

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dayam son... now that is some mighty FINE pick-guardin' if I ever saw it! OUTSTANDING!