"Does it matter where guitars are made?" article

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don’t think the answers from companies who want you to buy overseas instruments carry as much weight as an independant reviewer would.

Interesting points, but it all comes down to cost these days.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Interesting read for a Sunday morning, or any day for that matter. Thanks for the link.
To paraphrase one comment, "dogs" are made all over the world, and I'm a firm believer in the concept of the eyes and ears of the beholder being the final judge. Wear a blindfold and see what you end up with.

Budget often plays an important part as well. I can vouch for that first hand, having been in situations over the past 47 years when I just wanted a guitar in my hands and bought what I could afford. If money were no object, stand back.

Then there's always the harsh reality that a better/more expensive guitar doesn't necessarily make the guitarist sound better.

So many variables out there, so little time to try them all.

**FWIW, I've been checking out a Jumbo Junior, just for the fun of it. I buy guitars to play them, I'm not a collector, per se.
:rugby:

Joe

crank

Reaction score
I have 3 electric guitars. 1 made in USA, 1 made in Mexico and 1 made in Korea. The best electric guitar I own was made in Korea.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have 3 electric guitars. 1 made in USA, 1 made in Mexico and 1 made in Korea. The best electric guitar I own was made in Korea.

Perfect example of generalizations made in this argument all the time.

Let ne further polute the waters with this gem: I’ve never played a NS Guild that’s as good as any Westerly Guild I’ve ever played.

Does that mean anything? Maybe, maybe not. It’s merely my observation made with my sample size. Does that mean NS guitars are bad? No. It means I prefer Westerly Guilds.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
All highly respected names and luthiers that are at the very TOP of their respective companies, therefore they tend to talk in circles and never commit to a point of view. They're all towing the company line and saying everything we expected them to say, while not saying much. We all know the quality of instruments coming from overseas and outside the USA has increased dramatically in recent years. Nothing terribly earth shattering in this article.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And carrying on with what GAD has said, percentages and sample size further pollute the waters. Due to the sheer numbers of instruments made overseas and outside the USA there are bound to be some super good ones. But what percentage of the entire number are super good? Whereas, with the USA made instruments I think there will be a few duds here and there, but I'm gonna guess the actual percentage of "super good" ones, will be significantly higher. Does that make sense??

Also, guitars made in the USA tend to hold their value better than those built other places. Does that ad value to the guitar? I does to me.....

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
i am personally sold on Korean and Mexican guitars and basses, acoustic and electric. "Made in USA" has its own special vibe, in addition to typically among the highest quality/tone etc...but that does not make all imports bad.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
And carrying on with what GAD has said, percentages and sample size further pollute the waters. Due to the sheer numbers of instruments made overseas and outside the USA there are bound to be some super good ones. But what percentage of the entire number are super good? Whereas, with the USA made instruments I think there will be a few duds here and there, but I'm gonna guess the actual percentage of "super good" ones, will be significantly higher. Does that make sense??

Yes.

Tom, stop making sense!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I have two electric guitars in the process of being made, one in Quebec and the other in Germany. Both by individuals rather than factories. These folks could live anywhere on the planet and make great instruments ‘cuz that’s what they’re dedicated to doing.

When it comes to factory-made guitars, given the same materials and quality standards I doubt it matters much if at all where they’re made. Of course materials and quality standards aren’t the same across the board. The larger guitar makers use certain Chinese, Korean, Mexican, etc. factories because of price points and profit margins. IMO we should be careful about conflating standards and locale. All those countries I just listed are full of master craftspeople making all kinds of high-quality stuff. We’re just not seeing or getting our hands on (much of) their work here.

-Dave-

crank

Reaction score

Let ne further polute the waters with this gem: I’ve never played a NS Guild that’s as good as any Westerly Guild I’ve ever played.

Does that mean anything? Maybe, maybe not. It’s merely my observation made with my sample size. Does that mean NS guitars are bad? No. It means I prefer Westerly Guilds.

Not a generalization at all. I was referring to 1 quality guitar from Korea.

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a great Jack Casady Signature bass that was made in Korea, but that's about it for Asian rim instruments that blew my hair back. Americans are still better at building guitars than any other country in the world, and you sure can't say that about many other consumer items.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I have to honestly say that I prefer high quality guitars made in the country where the brand first originated or where the company resides. This is, of course, with caveat that I can afford such instruments, but I am aware that I ultimately try to purchase according to this premise. And I always try to support American companies, if possible, esp. smaller ones.

What can I say, though? I prefer my flamenco guitar to be Spanish, my Ibanez shredder or GB10 to be Japanese, my Hofner bass to be German, and my Guilds to be American. There are exceptions, and I don't always abide by this, but in some inexplicable way, it feels like an instrument is a truer representation of the quality for which a company wants to be known.

I certainly am not at all against owning well-made gear, esp. gear built to a specific price point for certain markets. After all, I think young players have access to a world of instruments and gadgetry that were untouchable (and nonexistent) when we were kids. My kid's Fender bass is Korean and is perfectly suitable, and I'm always lusting after Japanese Fender models that aren't even made in the U.S. I also know it's just a matter of time before I buy a NS M-75, Bluesbird, or Starfire VI.

I sincerely think this is simply a false construct in my mind because I've played many fine instruments made in various countries. I'm constantly picking up Mexican Fenders that are so tempting, however, if I bought one, I realize I would always be on the lookout for an American example to "upgrade." I do know better, but I'm fully aware that I'm a product of my environment and admittedly susceptible to the sales propaganda.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
yada, yada, yada...(the article, that is.) When speaking of hand-made production acoustic guitars, the U.S. built instruments command higher prices because they are superior. It's basic economics. People will spend $5K on a Collings, but not on a Cort.

Last edited:

crank

Reaction score

Not a generalization at all. I was referring to 1 quality guitar from Korea.

I have not played a lot of offshore Guilds. The one's I have did not impress me.