Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Does it matter where guitars are made?" article

I still trust the free market to determine the answer. No one offshore is producing acoustics like Martin, Taylor, Collings, Huss & Dalton, etc. If they were, people would be paying the big bucks for them too.

I can't tell you exactly what it is, but I know it when I play it and hear it.
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Blog Entries
    This article is about electrics which muddies the waters on a thread about acoustics, but I note that it is written by a UK author. It lists several non-US made instruments as being among the best electric guitars in the world.

Very few guitars are made from locally sourced wood, or any other locally sourced ingredient. So the kinds of things that will vary based on country of origin are

• environmental factors such as heat, humidity or pollution
    • regulatory factors that encourage or prohibit certain manufacturing processes
    • local costs such as wages, taxes, bribes, etc.
    • skill of the local labor
    • oversight ("quality control" - I'm talking about YOU, Inspector 11)

So while these things do vary by country it doesn't seem to me that the country is the most important factor.

While I am rambling and waiting for the coffee to kick in I'll note that beer is very much a product that does vary by country. That is because it is brewed with local ingredients, if nothing else but the local water. Stone Brewing opened up a brewery in Richmond VA. Since they wanted their product to be consistent regardless of where it was brewed, they invested a lot of time and energy to determine the chemical characteristics of San Diego water and then developed water treatments so that the Richmond water was chemically the same before it was used for brewing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Got China built Epiphone Masterbilt - all solid wood - I paid $375 for and it plays and sounds just as well as some that bring 4 times that price.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    Stone Brewing opened up a brewery in Richmond VA. Since they wanted their product to be consistent regardless of where it was brewed, they invested a lot of time and energy to determine the chemical characteristics of San Diego water and then developed water treatments so that the Richmond water was chemically the same before it was used for brewing.
    San Diego water's periodically tested for the presence of effluents of guitar manufacturing.
    By #11.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!