Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Does it matter where guitars are made?" article

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    And carrying on with what GAD has said, percentages and sample size further pollute the waters. Due to the sheer numbers of instruments made overseas and outside the USA there are bound to be some super good ones. But what percentage of the entire number are super good? Whereas, with the USA made instruments I think there will be a few duds here and there, but I'm gonna guess the actual percentage of "super good" ones, will be significantly higher. Does that make sense??
    Yes.

Tom, stop making sense!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Done!! I'm not making any more sense for the rest of the day!! I'm taking a HOLIDAY from SENSE!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Antonio Stradivari made some pretty decent violins in....Italy. And they seem to be holding their resale value pretty well.

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Quote Originally Posted by GAD View Post

Let ne further polute the waters with this gem: Iíve never played a NS Guild thatís as good as any Westerly Guild Iíve ever played.
    +1000

I have two electric guitars in the process of being made, one in Quebec and the other in Germany. Both by individuals rather than factories. These folks could live anywhere on the planet and make great instruments ‘cuz that’s what they’re dedicated to doing.

When it comes to factory-made guitars, given the same materials and quality standards I doubt it matters much if at all where they’re made. Of course materials and quality standards aren’t the same across the board. The larger guitar makers use certain Chinese, Korean, Mexican, etc. factories because of price points and profit margins. IMO we should be careful about conflating standards and locale. All those countries I just listed are full of master craftspeople making all kinds of high-quality stuff. We’re just not seeing or getting our hands on (much of) their work here.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 Thunderbird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Perfect example of generalizations made in this argument all the time.

Let ne further polute the waters with this gem: I’ve never played a NS Guild that’s as good as any Westerly Guild I’ve ever played.

Does that mean anything? Maybe, maybe not. It’s merely my observation made with my sample size. Does that mean NS guitars are bad? No. It means I prefer Westerly Guilds.
    Not a generalization at all. I was referring to 1 quality guitar from Korea.
    Last edited by crank; 11-26-2017 at 10:01 PM.

I have a great Jack Casady Signature bass that was made in Korea, but that's about it for Asian rim instruments that blew my hair back. Americans are still better at building guitars than any other country in the world, and you sure can't say that about many other consumer items.
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

I have to honestly say that I prefer high quality guitars made in the country where the brand first originated or where the company resides. This is, of course, with caveat that I can afford such instruments, but I am aware that I ultimately try to purchase according to this premise. And I always try to support American companies, if possible, esp. smaller ones.

What can I say, though? I prefer my flamenco guitar to be Spanish, my Ibanez shredder or GB10 to be Japanese, my Hofner bass to be German, and my Guilds to be American. There are exceptions, and I don't always abide by this, but in some inexplicable way, it feels like an instrument is a truer representation of the quality for which a company wants to be known.

I certainly am not at all against owning well-made gear, esp. gear built to a specific price point for certain markets. After all, I think young players have access to a world of instruments and gadgetry that were untouchable (and nonexistent) when we were kids. My kid's Fender bass is Korean and is perfectly suitable, and I'm always lusting after Japanese Fender models that aren't even made in the U.S. I also know it's just a matter of time before I buy a NS M-75, Bluesbird, or Starfire VI.

I sincerely think this is simply a false construct in my mind because I've played many fine instruments made in various countries. I'm constantly picking up Mexican Fenders that are so tempting, however, if I bought one, I realize I would always be on the lookout for an American example to "upgrade." I do know better, but I'm fully aware that I'm a product of my environment and admittedly susceptible to the sales propaganda.
    1959 T-100 DP
    1968 CE-100 DP
    1976 BluesBird M-75

yada, yada, yada...(the article, that is.) When speaking of hand-made production acoustic guitars, the U.S. built instruments command higher prices because they are superior. It's basic economics. People will spend $5K on a Collings, but not on a Cort.
    Last edited by dreadnut; 11-27-2017 at 01:26 AM.
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Perfect example of generalizations made in this argument all the time.

Let ne further polute the waters with this gem: Iíve never played a NS Guild thatís as good as any Westerly Guild Iíve ever played.

Does that mean anything? Maybe, maybe not. Itís merely my observation made with my sample size. Does that mean NS guitars are bad? No. It means I prefer Westerly Guilds.
    Not a generalization at all. I was referring to 1 quality guitar from Korea.

I have not played a lot of offshore Guilds. The one's I have did not impress me.