Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Does it matter where guitars are made?" article

"Does it matter where guitars are made?" article

This article just popped up on the Sweetwater web site. No Guild content, but pretty interesting.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ma...paign=20171126

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

I donít think the answers from companies who want you to buy overseas instruments carry as much weight as an independant reviewer would.

Interesting points, but it all comes down to cost these days.

It matters to me. I won't buy guitars from China or Korea.

Anywhere else, I'm willing to give it a try.
    Youtube

More

1972 D25 (flatback), 1997 F65ce.

Interesting read for a Sunday morning, or any day for that matter. Thanks for the link.
    To paraphrase one comment, "dogs" are made all over the world, and I'm a firm believer in the concept of the eyes and ears of the beholder being the final judge. Wear a blindfold and see what you end up with.

Budget often plays an important part as well. I can vouch for that first hand, having been in situations over the past 47 years when I just wanted a guitar in my hands and bought what I could afford. If money were no object, stand back.

Then there's always the harsh reality that a better/more expensive guitar doesn't necessarily make the guitarist sound better.

So many variables out there, so little time to try them all.

**FWIW, I've been checking out a Jumbo Junior, just for the fun of it. I buy guitars to play them, I'm not a collector, per se.

Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

I have 3 electric guitars. 1 made in USA, 1 made in Mexico and 1 made in Korea. The best electric guitar I own was made in Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by crank View Post
    I have 3 electric guitars. 1 made in USA, 1 made in Mexico and 1 made in Korea. The best electric guitar I own was made in Korea.
    Perfect example of generalizations made in this argument all the time.

Let ne further polute the waters with this gem: Iíve never played a NS Guild thatís as good as any Westerly Guild Iíve ever played.

Does that mean anything? Maybe, maybe not. Itís merely my observation made with my sample size. Does that mean NS guitars are bad? No. It means I prefer Westerly Guilds.

All highly respected names and luthiers that are at the very TOP of their respective companies, therefore they tend to talk in circles and never commit to a point of view. They're all towing the company line and saying everything we expected them to say, while not saying much. We all know the quality of instruments coming from overseas and outside the USA has increased dramatically in recent years. Nothing terribly earth shattering in this article.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

And carrying on with what GAD has said, percentages and sample size further pollute the waters. Due to the sheer numbers of instruments made overseas and outside the USA there are bound to be some super good ones. But what percentage of the entire number are super good? Whereas, with the USA made instruments I think there will be a few duds here and there, but I'm gonna guess the actual percentage of "super good" ones, will be significantly higher. Does that make sense??

Also, guitars made in the USA tend to hold their value better than those built other places. Does that ad value to the guitar? I does to me.....
    Last edited by davismanLV; 11-26-2017 at 06:36 PM.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

i am personally sold on Korean and Mexican guitars and basses, acoustic and electric. "Made in USA" has its own special vibe, in addition to typically among the highest quality/tone etc...but that does not make all imports bad.