Woohoo! NAD!

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
So while poking around my favorite local vintage shop, I was chatting with the manager, and he pointed out a VOX AC15TBX that he had just taken in trade. He had priced it and was about to put it out. I've been looking around for one of these British Marshall-manufactured examples for a while, and I just couldn't resist snagging it before it even hit the floor.

It's Class A, runs [5] ECC83s, [1] 5Y3 rectifier, and [2] EL-84s. The "X" designation means it came stock with a Celestion Alnico Blue. I've only partially put it through its paces. It seems just a bit more squishy and compresses the signal slightly more than the Chinese and Vietnamese versions, which I would say have a bit more jangle to them. It definitely gets that classic, chimey Vox sound, though, and I'm eager to run my pedal board through it this weekend. It even came with the cover and the chrome stand!

In addition to my black-faced '76 Deluxe Reverb, and Mesa DC-3, it may be all that I'll ever want. . . unless I start jonesing for an 18-watt Marshall too. :love-struck:

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the comments l read on the fb builders group, is the b+ of the Chinese voxes is much more heavily filtered than the original Dick Denny Vox AC15. I've wanted to try an AC15 for some time.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the comments l read on the fb builders group, is the b+ of the Chinese voxes is much more heavily filtered than the original Dick Denny Vox AC15. I've wanted to try an AC15 for some time.
I've read a lot of purists poo poo both the AC15CC1 and the AC15C1, but I've played both and think they sound great too. Build and material quality is probably the major difference. It's a known issue that these UK-made models occasionally blow transformers, which I may address later with a Mercury Magnetics replacement.

The reverb is passable, but the tremelo circuit is amazing. This amp seems to have less volume than the last AC15C1 I played, but I haven't had the opportunity to dime it yet. It also seems to have less touch sensitivity. My Bluesbird screams through it. I can't wait to try my my T-100D through it, which will be my treat for later today. These are great amps for single coils.

You should definitely try one out if you get a chance, esp. with a Strat or Tele, since I know you're an amp guy too :C). It unfortunately took me years to finally discover why so many people love Voxes.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Very cool, jp! I’ve played through a handful of those early Korg/Marshall AC15s and have liked ‘em all. To my ears they’ve got more mids—a major part of the classic Vox sound—than the current versions. The 5Y3 likely adds to the amp’s squishiness.

The original AC15s are pretty simple affairs, especially the Normal (EF86 preamp) channel. Not much going on beyond gaining up the input signal. They hum more than your average amp and are also prone to picking up RFI.

-Dave-

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats, jp!! Nice that you snagged it before it hit the floor!! :encouragement::encouragement:
Thanks, Tom. I know, right? It probably could have been priced a lot higher, but the manager at this shop is a big proponent of moving gear at just the right price so that it goes quickly, and people get excited about a good or fair deal. He's also smart and understands how the value of used goods decreases quickly. It's a much better philosophy to have fresh, evolving inventory, keep people interested in coming in frequently, and make a fair profit, too.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Very cool, jp! I’ve played through a handful of those early Korg/Marshall AC15s and have liked ‘em all. To my ears they’ve got more mids—a major part of the classic Vox sound—than the current versions. The 5Y3 likely adds to the amp’s squishiness.

-Dave-
I think you're right about the tube rectifier. I'm gonna run some pedals through it later to see how well it reacts, esp. to a little overdrive and boost.

I'll post pics, including gut shots when I get another photo account to post pics. Stupid Photobucket has obliterated more than a decade of my photo-posting history here. Arrghh!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! No matter what amps I add to my collection, my AC30CC half stack remains a reliable staple of my stable. (But definitely for at school use only; both the head and the cab weigh a ton!)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'll post pics, including gut shots when I get another photo account to post pics. Stupid Photobucket has obliterated more than a decade of my photo-posting history here. Arrghh!
Wordpress. You don't even need to publish them on a website, just upload media.