So, I bought a Thing Too.......

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
From the clues so far:

It was built by Carlo Greco. He was of Italian heritage and is a recently deceased Living Master.

Some component of the guitar was built with Rosewood of indeterminate origin.

The "F512 with F612 inlays" would indicate that it is an acoustic guitar with unusual appointments.

No but if we were playing hot/cold 3 days ago and you actually picked up that ukulele I would have say that you were burning up.

TX

... and from the above, it was listed for sale three days ago on Reverb.

I've wracked my brain, but I still can't guess what it is! :chargrined:

sailin'shoes

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Carlo Greco? Trying to think of a Ferrari connection...

Correct On The Builder Jeffcoop! Nice Job! Now what is it?

From the clues so far:

It was built by Carlo Greco. He was of Italian heritage and is a recently deceased Living Master.

Yes!

Yes!

The "F512 with F612 inlays" would indicate that it is an acoustic guitar with unusual appointments.

Yes!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by txbumper57

No but if we were playing hot/cold 3 days ago and you actually picked up that ukulele I would have say that you were burning up.

TX

... and from the above, it was listed for sale three days ago on Reverb.

No

I've wracked my brain, but I still can't guess what it is! :chargrined:

sailin'shoes

Very Nice, You are getting so close!

TX

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OK, here is my Clue for this evening and it is in a few parts.

1. To the best of my Knowledge this guitar has never been offered for sale on Reverb.
2. The Builder's name is on the Headstock and this is a Finished guitar by the builder himself.
3. While it is not a Guild it does have some serious Guild DNA both Old and New.
4. When I look at it I am reminded of Reno, Texas, and a name that rhymes with Pearl.

TX

bdeclee

Reaction score
Well, I have no clue now. Except Guild's very first location in New York City was on Pearl St, back in the 1950s. But Reno, Texas?? Hmmm.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Reno makes me think of the Johnny Cash song "Folsom Prison Blues"

Pearl makes me think of Merle, as in Travis, and the Merle Travis Model archtop guitar that Guild manufactured with the "star" fingerboard inlays and fancy colored wood marquetry.

Did this guitar come up for sale?

http://celticsolstice.com/Jim's Home Page/Music/Guitar Pics/The Greco.htm

Or maybe this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CARLO-GREC...-ARCHTOP-BLONDE-FINISH-M-IN-USA-/142479200992

sailin'shoes

Neither of those but they are both drop dead gorgeous! Your "Pearl" observation is right on the money.

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Today's Clues,

18 inches, Checkerboard, High board access. This guitar has been discussed on this forum in the last year.

TX

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Carlo Greco 18 in jumbo with Merle Travis checkerboard style trim

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Clues and answers, Sorry about the numbering in the margin, My word program has gone nuts and won't let me fix it.

1. GAD’s Question, Is it a Ferrari?
Response: Nope, but they do share in a round about way some of the same origins!
Answer= Both Enzo Ferrari and the builder of this guitar share the same home country of Italy.

1. Fronobulax’s response to info found in another thread on the forum:
Well, we know it is a once in a lifetime guitar that is better than a D55 and
perhaps others but...
Answer= Correct though I would never say a guitar is Better than a D55,
Just different.

1. GAD’s Observations:
The person who made it didn't need it
That is often the case, but this leads me to believe that it was made by one person, and not a mass-produced item.
The person who bought it didn't want it
So it's used...
Answer= Both observations are correct.

1. Guild-1979-D40’s Question, Is Brazilian part of the answer?
Response= Not known at this time but very well could be.
Answer= This builder has been known throughout the years to use some of the most beautiful Figured and Straight grained Brazilian RW in the guitars he has produced. Only after close inspection and possible testing can this ne verified but the headstock cap at the least may well be Brazilian.

5. Sailingshoes72’s inquiry: Is it this?

https://reverb.com/item/7352708-1962...h-a-spruce-top

Response or Clue: No but if we were playing hot/cold 3 days ago and you actually picked up that ukulele I would have say that you were burning up.
Answer= The person that sold that Ukulele is the same person I purchased this guitar from. There is a very good chance that when the photos of the Ukulele were taken this guitar was within an arms reach or two.

1. Clue: It is a child of one of the last Living Masters who is no longer living.
    Mavuser’s Response: Is it a F512 with F612 Inlays?
Answer=No but along the right thinking track. This builder was the one who built the F512’s with the F612 inlays as well as Guilds F612’s.

6. Clue: It is a child of one of the last Living Masters who is no longer living.
JP’s Inquiry: How about a D'Aquisto archtop?
Response: You are in the right neighborhood of thought for sure! However it is not a D'aquisto and it is not an Archtop.
Answer= This builder was considered to be one of the masters of guitar making and in the same class as D’angelico and Jimmy Daquisto among few others.

1. Jeffcoop’s Inquiry: Carlo Greco?
Answer= Yes! The builder of this guitar is Carlo Greco.

1. Sailingshoes72 Inquiry: From the clues so far:

Answer= Yes to all.

1. Bdeclee’s Inquiry: Is it a Carlo Greco guitar (as opposed to a Guild)?
Answer= Yes! This was probably the best question as it confirmed the guitar as a Carlo Greco guitar and not a Guild built by Mr. Greco.

1. Next to Last batch of Clues:
1.To the best of my Knowledge this guitar has never been offered for sale on Reverb.
2. The Builder's name is on the Headstock and this is a Finished guitar by the builder himself.
3. While it is not a Guild it does have some serious Guild DNA both Old and New.
4. When I look at it I am reminded of Reno, Texas, and a name that rhymes with Pearl.

Sailingshoes72’s Response: Pearl makes me think of Merle, as in Travis, and the Merle Travis Model archtop guitar that Guild manufactured with the "star" fingerboard inlays and fancy colored wood marquetry.

Answer= Pretty much on the money with this response. The serious Guild DNA both old and new as well as the “rhymes with Pearl” clues were a reference to the Guild Merle Travis Model that was ornately built by Mr. Greco.
The reference to “Reno” and “Texas” clues were that in New Hartford Guild ran a special run of guitars ordered by Reno’s Music that all had Star lnlays in the fretboard. That was the “New” part of the Guild DNA. Of course there is also the Lone Star Flag to reference the Star inlays.

1. Last Clues: 18 inches, Checkerboard, High board access. This guitar has been discussed on this forum in the last year.

FNG’s Response: Carlo Greco 18 in jumbo with Merle Travis checkerboard style trim.

Answer= Correct! Congrats FNG! While FNG’s post is correct I feel that the group as a whole should get credit as well for the great questions and detective work done by all.

The guitar should be arriving tomorrow and I can’t thank Richard here on the forum enough for giving me a second opportunity at this wonderful instrument. It is not that often that we get a second chance at something we kick ourselves over not buying the first time around. I will post a New Guitar Day write up with pics and info upon its arrival for everyone. For now it is an 18” lower bout Carlo Greco Spruce and Rosewood jumbo with an extended scale length and cutaway. Basically the 6 string version of my F612 with a bit of Merle Travis bling to boot.

Honorable mention needs to go to Stuball48 for solving the random riddle that I posted after taking some pain medication! The correct answer was Coffin.

Thanks to all who played along and hopefully we can keep this game going with someone else at the helm.

For the time being here is a photo or three to tide you over. She might look a little dirty but I requested to not clean it before it shipped so I could go through everything and get to know it when it arrives.

BPPMbn.jpg
f9X0mI.jpg
jiLBzJ.jpg

TX

Last edited: