Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F30 HR came and goes back .

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    Yup but the saddle height and 1/8’dtop in neck angle don’t add up . Add that 1/8th to the saddle height and break angle is still poor .

Either way neck reset would cost the as much as the guitar did and that is certainly not worth it .

Wait !? You’re fruends with Dana ? I want in on that he’s the one that turned me on to African black wood and cedar tops . ;)
    I had the honor of meeting Dana a couple of times, and he is a gentleman. He also builds some really great guitars like my '97 Slope D. The beauty of Dana's guitars is that he realizes the inevitability of neck resets, and builds his guitars with bolt-on necks (like Bill Collings). I've had to do a neck reset on mine, and it cost less than $200 and took three days. Try that with a Guild!
    Sandy

'59 X175AB, '68 SFII Bass (Green), '73 D50NT, '82 Mark V, '87 Pilot SB602M, '88 Pilot SB602M, '10 F512NT,
    '11 F50ce Std (Sunburst) '13 R30S (Resonator), '13 B54ce Std Bass, '13 Orpheum Jumbo Prototype

No oh no , no hard rock on this model lol I give it a F rating even if new .

However the HR finish is thin and certainly would benefit other models tone and volume .

I can say if this f30 is worth 700.00 my cv-1 one should be worth twice that Mric or whatever you call it or not ! Lol
    Well that's no good, brother. It's either got it or it ain't. You've been around the block enough to tell the difference between the two. Life's too short...
    '56 Guild X50
    '67 Guild F30SB Hog/Sitka
    '73 Guild D25 Hog/Hog Flatback
    '79 Guild F50 Maple/Sitka
    '84 Guild D66 RW/Sitka
    '11 Guild F47 RW/Adi
    '14 Guild F50R RW/Sitka

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    I had the honor of meeting Dana a couple of times, and he is a gentleman. He also builds some really great guitars like my '97 Slope D. The beauty of Dana's guitars is that he realizes the inevitability of neck resets, and builds his guitars with bolt-on necks (like Bill Collings). I've had to do a neck reset on mine, and it cost less than $200 and took three days. Try that with a Guild!
    Yeah bolts are stepping up into the light for sure . My Custom by Ben Wilborn has a bolt on .

Iím surprised more manufacturers arenít getting board or are they and I just donít know it yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by sixx View Post
    Well that's no good, brother. It's either got it or it ain't. You've been around the block enough to tell the difference between the two. Life's too short...
    Actually Iíd be surprised if this model offered any mojo at all from the start .

I had a couple thin body acoustics but they where built with electronics. Plugged in they sounded ok unplugged forget it , the F30 HR are the forget it models . LOL

Quote Originally Posted by twocorgis View Post
    The beauty of Dana's guitars is that he realizes the inevitability of neck resets, and builds his guitars with bolt-on necks (like Bill Collings). I've had to do a neck reset on mine, and it cost less than $200 and took three days. Try that with a Guild!
    For the difference in price, tho, you can pay for a lot of neck resets, to be fair... You could buy 3 Guilds for the price of a Bourgeois, leave two unstrung and when one needs the neck reset, switch to the other...

Or if you really hate the idea of paying for a neck reset, you can get a Riversong -- neck reset proof...

I'd actually consider getting one of these, but I think they are a little high priced for the tone. The technology tho is really interesting. I'm guessing in the end he's going to make more on his patents than he will on his guitars.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    1978 Guild Mark II Classical

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

Yeah bolts are stepping up into the light for sure . My Custom by Ben Wilborn has a bolt on .

I’m surprised more manufacturers aren’t getting on board or are they and I just don’t know it yet ?
    IDK, can't see Martin doing it. But maybe I'm mistaken. It took them until -- what 1985? -- to put in a truss rod If I Recall Correctly.
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    1978 Guild Mark II Classical

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    For the difference in price, tho, you can pay for a lot of neck resets, to be fair... You could buy 3 Guilds for the price of a Bourgeois, leave two unstrung and when one needs the neck reset, switch to the other...

Or if you really hate the idea of paying for a neck reset, you can get a Riversong -- neck reset proof...

I'd actually consider getting one of these, but I think they are a little high priced for the tone. The technology tho is really interesting. I'm guessing in the end he's going to make more on his patents than he will on his guitars.
    You may pay twice as much and for that youíll have one heck of a guitar !

Their asking to much for them Al . Guild pricing is a little out of whack since I signed on .
    But I been looking at them , thing is if I buy one I want to be able sell it without taking a loss .
    Wow I had no idea that was even possible. I tend to buy low, but would never expect to get back what I have invested in a guitar if I sell it, not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    IDK, can't see Martin doing it. But maybe I'm mistaken. It took them until -- what 1985? -- to put in a truss rod If I Recall Correctly.
    Martin has had hybrid Bolt on Mortise and Tenon neck joints on some of their guitars for years now. Personally I am not a fan and prefer the traditional glued dovetail joints but I also don't mind spending the money to have a neck reset done on a Guitar that I love. If I have to have a reset done in 20-30 years then so be it, it is just part of the game as far as I am concerned.

Would I buy a used guitar that needs a neck reset not knowing how it would sound and play ahead of time? Probably only under special circumstances taking into consideration the rarity of the guitar and the materials it is built with. For example lets say a late 60's Guild Brazilian Rosewood F50R or F50 "Special" popped up needing a neck reset and the sale price reflected the work that needed done. I would probably jump all over it, LOL!

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 1976 G41, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284, 1993 JF100-NT-CRV
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Ann. Brz RW#10 of 50, 2003 X160 R.B., 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph 12 Fret Slope, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with this F30 Ray. When I first started buying guitars online I had to go through the growing pains of actually determining the condition of the guitar in the photos as opposed to the condition the seller says the guitar is in. That is probably the major reason I got so good at finding most of the issues in photos before the purchase was made. It is a learning experience and the best thing you can do is make sure whatever you purchase has a ironclad return policy. Best of luck in your search and I hope you find the one you are looking for.

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 1976 G41, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284, 1993 JF100-NT-CRV
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Ann. Brz RW#10 of 50, 2003 X160 R.B., 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph 12 Fret Slope, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia