X150 or...?

KuuKOO

Reaction score
A friend of mine picked this up recently. Tag reads X150 and serial number says it is a '55. Plays much better than I expected and kinda wish I had picked it up when offered to me. I suspect that it is an old refin/restain of a Savoy with new bridge, tuners and Martin dearmonds. Has a great 3 ply pickguard. I'm curious about the additional electronics and what looks to be a pre-55 tailpiece. It was on CL for too much money (friend talked down) so apologies if people have already discussed.

QCsJ5KP.png

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks like that was a X150 or more likely an X175 originally. The pickups that are currently on it are internally the same DeArmond pickups Guild used in the early 60's, but that cover is the way they came on the short lived Martin electric hollowbodies.

None of the hardware on the guitar is original, and it's been refinished. pickguard might be original, don't know. That said, for the right price, it could be a fine Rock and Roll/Rockabilly guitar! I wouldn't say no to it myself, haha.

That headstock inlay was only used for one specific year IIRC, I forget which year. It's in Hans' book.

It's a mutt, but I like it!

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine picked this up recently. Tag reads X150 and serial number says it is a '55. Plays much better than I expected and kinda wish I had picked it up when offered to me. I suspect that it is an old refin/restain of a Savoy with new bridge, tuners and Martin dearmonds. Has a great 3 ply pickguard. I'm curious about the additional electronics and what looks to be a pre-55 tailpiece.

That could be a great instrument; most likely an X-150 from the end of 1955. I would think a serial number close to # 3000. Can you tell us what the number is? Pickguard is probably not original, but tailpiece might be original.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

dklsplace

Reaction score
Wow! A player for sure! Is that a Bigsby bridge?

That headstock inlay was only used for one specific year IIRC, I forget which year. It's in Hans' book.

I don't have the book handy either, but I know the simple G was used in more than just 1 year...but it doesn't seem like they were consecutive years. I have one on my '60 Aristocrat.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow! A player for sure! Is that a Bigsby bridge?

I don't have the book handy either, but I know the simple G was used in more than just 1 year...but it doesn't seem like they were consecutive years. I have one on my '60 Aristocrat.
Ah, I'm probably confusing it with the diagonal script headstock logo. Yep, that does look like a Bigsby bridge.

KuuKOO

Reaction score
Hans-- serial number is 2632. Tag is yellow inside and clearly reads X150....

Needs a fret job but DAMN kicking myself. The refin is has checking but it looks WAY better than the pic I posted does justice to.

Don't think this is any better but...

dFkI8H3.png

Last edited:

zizala

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Coming out of a long lurk for this one....

I've always been about sticking to original unmodified old instruments, but this one has me spinning and a bit off my game!

I like the combination of those Martin DeArmonds and one of the more attractive red finishes I've seen on an always good looking 17" Guild of the 50's.
I'm betting it has the 25.5" scale neck from looking at the older rounded inlays.

Bet its a great guitar.....I'd take it.....

X-170AB

Reaction score
Congrats on a rare, sweet-looking, and no doubt great-sounding old Guild! The gods have smiled on you!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have to say your friend got a pretty cool Guitar. I am not much for modifying oldies like that from original but in this case I think they did a pretty cool job. That is the first time I have thought those Martin covered Dearmonds actually looked good on something! If I were you I would be bugging the hell out of your buddy to see if he would let go of it, LOL.

TX

KuuKOO

Reaction score
It's been offered to me again :) What do you think the right price would be......?

kakerlak

Reaction score
It's been offered to me again :) What do you think the right price would be......?

$1,000-1,200 if the refinish is as professional as it looks. If it needs a refret, rather than just a fret dress, then less. How decent is the rebinding job? Looks like it might be more recent than the refinish or at least doesn't appear finished over.

KuuKOO

Reaction score
Appreciate that. May need a refret but need to check it again. Same with the binding. I think I can grab for 1100 usd if the seller isn’t too greedy (I know the current owner bought it for that and tried to jack me on the price).