1965 Guild M20 ~ Refretted, neck reset, etc. - Anything else to look out for?

shshsh

Reaction score
Hi All,

This forum was really helpful a few months back when I purchased an old Guild F30. Now, I've stumbled upon what seems to be a good deal on a '65 M20. It looks like a lot of work has been done to it, including a refret, neck reset, and some reenforced on some back cracks.

Anything else I should look out for or is this really as good of a deal as it seems?

Thanks!

poser

Reaction score
I am far from an expert on such things, but another thing I look for on older guitars is cracks that extend from the sides of the neck to the sound hole. If it's been left in the sun or a hot car, the glue will loosen and the string tension will pull the neck into the body of the guitar. I did not see that issue on that M20.

shshsh

Reaction score
thanks for the reply – i'll keep an eye out for that.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I did some repair work on a well worn 1958 M20 a few years ago. I loved the sound of the guitar. The hard part for me was the neck. 1 5/8". It just was to narrow for me. Not sure if the '65 will have the same spec, Guild may have moved to 1 11/16" by then.

Here is a thread about the project but not much help due to the Photobucket fiasco.

http://letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?187844-M20-project