Serial Number just printed on the headstock

harptailpiece

Reaction score
I bought a 1980 Starfire IV, last month.
Surprised to see the serial number printed, instead of engraved, on the back of the headstock.
Was it often the case in these years?

matsickma

Reaction score
Never saw that before. Normally they are "stamped" not engraved.
Look closer and also run your fingers over the serial number to feel for engraving. I have seen some guitars that look a bit like the serial number was stensel on the head stock only to find that guitar polish filled the depressions where the serial number was stamped and as it dried it looked like the number was painted on with white paint.

M

harptailpiece

Reaction score
Never saw that before. Normally they are "stamped" not engraved.
Look closer and also run your fingers over the serial number to feel for engraving. I have seen some guitars that look a bit like the serial number was stensel on the head stock only to find that guitar polish filled the depressions where the serial number was stamped and as it dried it looked like the number was painted on with white paint.

M

That's what it looks like....

harptailpiece

Reaction score
Harptailpiece,

That may be a refinished guitar, but it could be a factory job; shows us a detail shot of the label!

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Yes, actually the guitar has been refinished.
There's no label inside the body, though we can clearly see an oval trace (see pic). I contacted the luthier who did the refinishing job and he told me it can be a natural detachment, that can seem odd...

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's what it looks like....
That looks correct as far as font and placement. Maybe, as M suggested, its the last remnant of the stamp with some ink added for visibility before the refi, so that you can't feel any depression.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, actually the guitar has been refinished.
There's no label inside the body, though we can clearly see an oval trace

That explains it all. The original finish was removed and during the sanding process the serial number digits became less 'deep'. You can also see at the top end of some of the digits that the darker finish was almost removed during the sanding.
What you see now is the leftovers of the original darker finish at the deepest part of the stamped digits; that's why they look less bold, because the digits are now actually thinner.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

harptailpiece

Reaction score
That explains it all. The original finish was removed and during the sanding process the serial number digits became less 'deep'. You can also see at the top end of some of the digits that the darker finish was almost removed during the sanding.
What you see now is the leftovers of the original darker finish at the deepest part of the stamped digits; that's why they look less bold, because the digits are now actually thinner.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thank you very much, Hans, for your explanation.
I know that the original finish was tobacco burst, so that confirms the darker original finish.

Cheers

Last edited: