Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Best rhythm guitarist?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schmidlin View Post
    Scotty Moore once told me Elvis was the best rhythm he ever heard,
    Elvis shows off some chops, on Scotty’s guitar, in the ‘68 TV special during Jimmy Reed’s Baby What You Want Me To Do. The various takes of this are all good stuff. He could play, and IMO shoulda played more in the studio.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 Thunderbird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post
    Elvis shows off some chops, on Scotty’s guitar, in the ‘68 TV special during Jimmy Reed’s Baby What You Want Me To Do. The various takes of this are all good stuff. He could play, and IMO shoulda played more in the studio.

-Dave-
    Yeah that's exactly what I thought of, that whole informal acoustic jam, when Rick posted that.
    It's where I first started to actually dig Elvis, like 20 years after the fact.
    Then seeing Kid Creole for the first time sealed the deal a few years later.

As far as I can tell, that's a live take baby.
    A revelation to me. GI Blues had a couple of 'em too, IIRC.
    Pure ear candy after seeing so many of the later ones with nothing but lip-synching in 'em.
    Last edited by adorshki; 11-21-2017 at 08:59 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

David Crosby.

I find myself listening to his electric rhythm work and constantly saying, "What chord is THAT???"
    '69 Yamaha FG-110 (mom & dad)
    '08 DV-6 (8th Street Music)
    '72 F-212XL (ex-idealassets - now with a nephew)
    '83 D-35 (ex-Walking Man, ex-Qvart)
    '92 JF4-12 (ex-grumpyguybill)
    '07 F-47R (ex-mikemo6string)
    '74 G-37 (ex-Gardman, ex-Neal)
    '94 D-6 (CL find)
    '61 F-40B (ex-Walking Man)
    GAD F-130R NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Jeffcoop,)
    GAD-30 NAT (ex-Killdeer43, ex-Geoguy - now with a different nephew)
    GAD D125-12 (ex-BoneDigger)
    NS SFIV-ST (ex-BoneDigger)
    '99 DeArmond M-75 (why not?)

Quote Originally Posted by gjmalcyon View Post
    David Crosby.

I find myself listening to his electric rhythm work and constantly saying, "What chord is THAT???"
    C coke minor.
    (Sorry couldn't resist. If I Could Only Remember My Name 's one of my all time faves )
    Al
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Strummer View Post

-Dave-
    This was told to me when I was in a Nashville with Scotty and DJ doing a commentary on DVD for the 68 special.

Merle Travis anyone?
    1975 Guild S-100
    1996 Guild S-100
    1998 Guild D-30AB
    1999 Guild S-100
    2000 Guild X-170T
    2000 Guild Blues 90
    2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio
    2008 Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    2011 Fender 52 American Vintage Re-Issue Telecaster
    2012 Paul Reed Smith "Stripped" 58
    2013 Gibson Elliot Easton "Tikibird" Firebird
    2014 Fender 65 American Vintage Re-Issue Jazzmaster
    2016 Gibson Les Paul Standard Gold Top
    2016 Guild S-100
    2016 Fender Precision Bass

Dave Edmunds and a 335 in Rockpile, but I have to concede that Lennon was right about himself.

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    C coke minor.
    (Sorry couldn't resist. If I Could Only Remember My Name 's one of my all time faves )
    "Laughing" is brilliant

re his chords, a lot of that was just open tuning and barred all over the neck.
    Wood

1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

"i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "holy grail" guitar"--mav

"always confront the load facing it directly"--nuuska

Quote Originally Posted by banjo View Post
    Dave Edmunds and a 335 in Rockpile, but I have to concede that Lennon was right about himself.
    And John's hero was Elvis, so I'm back full circle to John as #1, for breadth of style (s).
    Richie's a very close runner up losing out only for actually being a percussionist (I was only half joking, before):
    “I realized this is six strings, which could equal six guys in a doo-wop group. So now I’m the lead and this is my back-up. I laid it flat on my lap and put my thumb across it like a bar, and chunked along like a dulcimer. I am a frustrated drummer. I think that is really the sense of music, the drums. I am playing drums on guitar, that is what I do.”.
    That always stuck with me and I was reminded of it when I came across a corollary proposition in a book about the nascent avant garde jazz scene by Val Wilmer, As Serious As Your Life.
    In it she proposed that all musical instrument families trace their heritage back to a drum, the basic rhythm instrument.
    Some kind of resonating element transmitting vibration to a reflector of some type, even if it's simply the shell of a hollow log.
    Al
    All bought new!

Speaking of Elvis, I used to have, on cassette, The Million Dollar Quartet. There is some solo Elvis playing guitar and singing on that album that really shows his rhythm skills.

Speaking of Bob Weir, I saw Dead and Company last night in Hartford, CT. He was playing and singing really well though he screwed up a few words and missed his in cue a few times. The band was really good and the present configuration with Oteil Burbridge on bass, John Mayer on lead guitar and Jeff Chimenti is, IMO freaking great.