Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best rhythm guitarist?

Best rhythm guitarist?

Crank gave me the idea with part of his post in the "Lead vs. Rhythm" thread:

"Some rhythm guitarists I admire are:

John Doyle who used to be in the Irish band Solas. He drove their whole sound and really opened my eyes and ears to the guitar as a percussion instrument.

Ian Neville, one of the younger generation Neville's who plays strictly rhythm guitar in his band Dumstaphunk. Amazing sense of timing.

Neil Young who also taught me a lot about guitar as percussion - very evident in his soloing as well.

Bob Weir for a different approach to rhythm."

Keeping in mind I'm talking about guitarists who were/are mainly rhythm players throughout their career, I cast my vote for John Lennon...

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

I had heard a YouTube interview with John Lennon and in the discussion of his guitar playing skills talked of the importance of rythem guitar and why he felt confident in his skills at it and how it had a big influence on driving the song.

Jimi was also an incredibly strong rythem player with his unorthodox chord fingering forms.

M

Bob Weir came to mind first for me, when I read this thread title.
    several Guilds, one Gretsch, one Taylor, & a Squire CV tele

Pete Townshend and Jimi are my main guys when it comes to rock & roll. Gabriela Quintero (of Rodrigo y Gabriela) is a monster rhythm player. The late Malcolm Young (RIP) was pretty darn good and a fantastic riff crafter too. In the bluegrass world there are too many folks to list here.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 Thunderbird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

Billy Gibbons is one of those people that comes to mind for me. He doesn't require a lead player either.
    '94 GV-70 NT Westerly
    '99 F-30 NT HG Westerly

'67 F-30 Hoboken
    '73 S-100 Carved (Natural)

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w487/rampside/7e9e5171-995b-4a57-9757-e87f0e5c8b40_zps692ae4ec.jpg

I've always admired Tom Fogerty from CCR
    -A whole lotta Guilds, mostly acoustic but a few nice electric pieces as well

-Not nearly so many Martins, Gibsons and Taylors

-2 Chinese Blueridges and 1 Epi Masterbilt

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations

Iím fond of that Keith guy in the Rolling Stones band.
    Shihan= Dennis

Jimmy Rogers
    " Like meditation or yoga in Buddhist societies. it ( the Blues ) is a discipline, a structure, for the focusing of the self. "

Charles Shaar Murray

Jimmy Capps--may be playing more lead these days but I see him playing lots of rhythm on Larry's Country Diner--never tries to dominate the song or featured artist. Smooth as a 10 year old slide on elementary school playground.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

Warren Haynes and Dicky Betts were really, really, good rhythm players, when the other one was soloing, in the Allman Brothers. listen to the live shows from the first half of the 90s. i mean really, really good. Adjustments needed to be made when Derek Trucks joined Dicky. In the end it was Derek and Warren together, but the chemistry between Dicky and Warren, and those endless grooves...man they were good.

also just so many rhythm players, I could spend all day commenting on this.