Reaction score
Guild Total
RIP, Coca Cola Cowboy.

5pu48ev.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
My mother was a speech therapist - she loved his music, and how he could sing without his stutter. RIP.

walrus

silverfox103

Reaction score
Loved Mel----I'll miss him. We saw Mel & the Statesiders in 1981 in Marysville WA at the Strawberry Festival, just down the street from where Joe lives. I think it was at a high school.

He was on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson quite a bit. I know it was part of the routine, but got a kick out of the way Mel would tell a joke. He could tell the joke, but when it came to the punch line, Mel had trouble getting it out. I think he was in a movie with Tim Conway. I can picture him riding a stage coach with him. It could have been Don Knots with Tim.

RIP Mel!

Tom

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
RIP Mr. Tillis, Damn they are just dropping like flies again. Just for reference Mel was in the Movie "Cannonball Run" as Terry Bradshaw's co-pilot in the Hawaiian Tropic Stock Car painted primer grey. He always made me laugh with his comedic timing, Just a master at it. Not to mention he has an amazingly talented daughter in Pam Tillis. Always loved her music as well.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bummer haven’t heard his name in a long time.

what Model is his guitar ? Is that hog B&S ?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Bummer haven’t heard his name in a long time.

what Model is his guitar ? Is that hog B&S ?

It appears to be a 60's Hoboken F50 with the mahogany colored stain over a Flamed Maple back and sides. I say Hoboken because of the thru saddle bridge on it. It also looks to have some kind of binding around the fretboard extension on the top which I have never seen before. I think it is a F50 but it looks kinda small with Mel holding it. Very interesting guitar for sure, I would bet Hans would know more about it.

TX

Last edited: