D40nt

GaryG

Reaction score
I just got a 1977 D40 that has those crystal clear bell tones. What a great contrast
to my incredibly mellow Mark 5! The D40 did come with Gibson tuners and I am
thinking about switching back to original Guild tuners. Any opinions?

beecee

Reaction score
Any opinions?

As far as D-40's, I love mine. It's a NH model. Would love to try a D-40 from that era.

As far as originality, not a deal killer for me if the price reflected that. I may be in the minority here on that.

I like mojo on a used guitar unless it is some type of investment example.

I'll beat Davisman and Killdeer: Unless there are pictures it ain't happened.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you have the originals? If not, they probably were Japanese tuners like this:
159086444.jpg

159346493.jpg

These are from my (now departed) '74 G-37... not the best tuners, but I never had any trouble with them. They show up occasionally on eBay, or member Hans Moust might be able to help you.

Reaction score
I own a 1978 D40. Everything is original(except for the nut), but I must say the guitar has some mojo. I'll defer to others on replacing the tuners.

bobouz

Reaction score
I bought an F-40 new in the late '70s. It was a very nice instrument - one of many I probably should have kept. It had a chesterfield headstock & I believe those same tuners as on GardMan's G-37. The same tuners also are on my current '76 G-37, and they still work very well.

My replacement for the D-40 is a '92 D-6nt-hg, which is virtually a clone of the D-40, but with a snakehead headstock & slightly different pickguard shape. Very nice tone, playability, and wood on this one!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I bought an F-40 new in the late '70s. It was a very nice instrument - one of many I probably should have kept. It had a chesterfield headstock & I believe those same tuners as on GardMan's G-37. The same tuners also are on my current '76 G-37, and they still work very well.

My replacement for the D-40 is a '92 D-6nt-hg, which is virtually a clone of the D-40, but with a snakehead headstock & slightly different pickguard shape. Very nice tone, playability, and wood on this one!

Ooooo do we have pics of said wood ? Love grain patterns.

bobouz

Reaction score
Ooooo do we have pics of said wood ? Love grain patterns.

Ray - Haven't ever gotten the hang of the pic posting thing, but I can email pics if you'd like to PM me. I'm not talking about exotic figuring or anything like that. Rather, just some very nice straight & slightly wide-grained spruce & nicely shaded mahogany on a near-mint body..... Bob

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ray - Haven't ever gotten the hang of the pic posting thing, but I can email pics if you'd like to PM me. I'm not talking about exotic figuring or anything like that. Rather, just some very nice straight & slightly wide-grained spruce & nicely shaded mahogany on a near-mint body..... Bob

Posting is easy ! Pm sent or sending lol

GaryG

Reaction score
Do you have the originals? If not, they probably were Japanese tuners like this:
159086444.jpg

159346493.jpg

These are from my (now departed) '74 G-37... not the best tuners, but I never had any trouble with them. They show up occasionally on eBay, or member Hans Moust might be able to help you.

Those tuners look like the ones that were on my 1977 D40CNT What brand name are they?

GaryG

Reaction score
What is the correct brand tuner that came on the 1977 D40's?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What is the correct brand tuner that came on the 1977 D40's?
My guess would be they would be Japanese imports (brand unknown) looking like the ones in the pics I posted... IIRC, those were the stock tuners for a D-40 in '74, and believe they also would be correct for a '77.