D100 & JF100 Info wanted

Reaction score
Can anyone fill me in on the details and history of these 2 models coming out of Westerly in the '90s? How many were made? Were these custom shop and who were the luthiers that made them?
Thanks

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
First, welcome to LTG!

Changes in the SN numbering schemes make counting SNs an uncertain means of ascertaining production numbers for these limited edition models. Nevertheless, SN lists suggest about ~200 D-100/100Cs (carved heel) and ~175 JF-100/100Cs were made between 1990-1997. I couldn't say how many were made after the end of the available SN lists. I would guess Han Moust could give you better numbers. (in addition, there were about two dozen D-80s, the forerunner of the D-100, made in the mid-80s.)

As far as I know, these were limited editions made in the Westerly factory... again, Hans would know.

Reaction score
First, welcome to LTG!

Changes in the SN numbering schemes make counting SNs an uncertain means of ascertaining production numbers for these limited edition models. Nevertheless, SN lists suggest about ~200 D-100/100Cs (carved heel) and ~175 JF-100/100Cs were made between 1990-1997. I couldn't say how many were made after the end of the available SN lists. I would guess Han Moust could give you better numbers. (in addition, there were about two dozen D-80s, the forerunner of the D-100, made in the mid-80s.)

As far as I know, these were limited editions made in the Westerly factory... again, Hans would know.

Thanks for the welcome and response! Yes I know what you mean in regards to the SN.
I have 3 D100s, 2 JF100s and a JF100-12 and the date stamped on the neck butt in the sound hole does not seem to correspond chronologically with the SNs on the D100s, where as it might in regards to the jumbos .
1 of the D100s has a SN of AD1000003 stamped as Sept. 16 of 92 Non carved heel
1 has a SN of AD100083 and a stamp date of Jan. 22 of 2000 Carved heel
1 has a SN of AD1000996 and no stamp date--appears to be mid 90s Carved heel

On the JFs
1 has a SN of AJ100027 -dated Oct. 5 of 95 Carved heel
1 has a SN of AJ100044--dated Dec 4 of 96 Carved heel
The 12 string has a SN of AJ200006 and dated Sept 10 of 93 carved heel

I have never asked or tried to research info on these previously, but as always assumed that they were a custom shop effort and the production numbers were limited (but not knowing to what extent limited meant).

I'd be curious as to what other folks know AND more about teir production.
They are absolutely killer guitars! I sold several boutique instruments and got off on a Guild binge several years ago and glad I did!

Any body know more about the guys who made these?
THANKS --

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
While they weren't Custom Shop models they were the top of the line for each body style made by Guild in Westerly and produced in very limited numbers. There were several artists that were known for playing each. Off the top of my Head George Strait played a D100-CRV at quite a few live shows including the Houston Rodeo. Chris Ledoux who was known for loving Guild Jumbos appeared in several live performances playing a JF100-CRV. He can also be seen on some of his videos with F50's, F50R's and his JF100-CRV. These guitars were considered the cream of the crop for the Guild Flagship guitars in a similar way that the Martin D45 was the top of that companies line.

As an owner of a JF100NT-CRV I can say that it is an Amazing instrument and work of art all rolled into one. The detail of the hand carving on the heel of the CRV designated models is absolutely stunning as well as the craftsmanship of the all Maple binding and tons of Abalone & Paua shell inlays throughout.

While actual production numbers are not specifically known for each model there were not a lot of them made. Hans's new book should shine some light on that when it comes out which we all here hope is in the near future. Here is a link to the description for the JF100 on westerlyguildguitars.com with photos of the hand carved heel and front of the guitar. Hope this helps!

http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/jf100.html

TX

Last edited:

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sure I am not the only one who would like to see pics!

For more info on the dating of your D-100s, you might contact member Hans Moust... he wrote the book on Guild Guitars (literally!), and has many of the ledgers from the Westerly factory. Sometimes it is easier to contact him thru the e-mail on his website (see his profile for the web address). Let us all know what he says!