New Here and NGD - ‘98 X-170B

Reaction score
New Here and NGD - ‘98 X-170B

Hi everyone-

First, first post. Thanks to folks here for the insight you’ve shared about Guilds.

Second, got a ‘98 X-170B (according to the card in the case). TN orange. Pic is in the avatar. I really, really like it. Feels a lot more solid than the SSLVO I had a couple years back. Agree with others about the Fender pickups.

TV Jones are likely down the road, but before I do, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has any good recs on PAF style pups for this. I have Wolfetones in other solid bodies, and I could go for some of those and likely be happy. Could also do some HB-style P-90s. What’s the collective sense here? Looking for garage/rockabilly mainly.

Thx again!

dbirchett

Reaction score
Are you sure that it has the Fender HB-1s? They may be the Seymour Duncan-made SD-1s. Some 1998 models have them.

As far as PAF style pickups, you might try Seth Lovers. Or Fralins.

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you want to stick with humbuckers, I would consider the Lindy Fralin Pure PAFs. I had them in my X-170T when I still had it and they sounded wonderful in that guitar. I only sold it because I just couldn’t bond with the neck profile. Mine also originally had the Fender pickups.