Incoming!!!!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Nice looking 12-str ...

About finish cracking - ( not finnish cracking... ) - I was working at James Berns Music store, 8417 Pillsbury Ave S Bloomington 55420 MN some thirty years or so ago. We were also buying used instruments. One cold winter day - perhaps round -30F or so - a young man comes in with his Les Paul. He puts it on the floor and opens the case. We look at it - and before anybody touches it, the finish cracks completely. Literally hundreds cracks all around that poor Les Paul. I never seen any price hit bottom that quickly. it was worth maybe 200 USD - we were selling new ones around 900-1100 back then. Still playable and technically fine, but looks was gone.

He said he had it in his car trunk over night before he came to us ... poor fellow.

So I agree, that it is not wise to be too hasty with opening parcel, when it arrives. Unlike txbumber57 - I would unbox it immediately, then let it lay in closed case for some hours - suppose it is not -40F over there this time of year. But the longer, the safer.

The body looks very similar to F512 - a bit smaller perhaps? Neck and fingerboard have less bling and tuners are different. I expect you have a very nice guitar there. Please let us know all about it.

Finally - congratulations.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
1971 F-312. Pulled the trigger at 4:15 this morning.

No one is up to any good at 4:15 in the morning, except for this.

Congrats - I predict it will sound like choirs of angels and/or a grand piano in your lap. That what these rosewood 12-ers do.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
beecee, congrats. An F-312 remains on my bucket list. This one does look super nice. I hope the condition is really that good.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice score! I've been keeping my eyes open for one of these; they don't come up that often.

beecee

Reaction score
Thanks all.

Success in dismantling the battery bank. Darn things are way too heavy.

Just one question, well ok 2:

Does that bridge look like RW or ebony.

Would you tune this down a bit being 45 years old?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tuning it down would depend on the strings you use. I run Daddario EJ41 9-45 extra lights on all my 12 strings and never have a problem with the necks at standard tuning. The extra lights are also easy enough to play that I don't have problems with my bad left arm. I even run them on My F612 which has an extended 26.25" scale length which means the strings have more tension to reach standard tuning than the shorter scale guitars do. No problems with it at standard tuning either. I get just as much tone and volume out of the Extra lights as I used to with the regular lights with less wear and tear on me and the guitars. Just a suggestion of course.

TX

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

One full step down - I have my F512 two steps down at moment - and it sounds MASSIVE - strings are Guild Phosphor Bronze 13 to 58

beecee

Reaction score
Tx, Sounds good, I'll give them a try.

Frickin' insomnia is driving me nuts....but I'll stay away from guitars for sale tonight.

Nuuska,

I'm half Finnish, maternal side, always dreamed of getting over there!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would down-tune this at least a half-step below concert pitch. But that's really my advice on any normal-scale 12-string. You could always set to concert when you're playing with people. That said, use light strings if you do that.

Br1ck

Reaction score
A very good era for Guilds in general.

I have a friend with a mid 70s F 112. He brought it to and open mic last week and played Kottke tunes on it. Stunning clarity due to it's smaller body and hog back and sides.

Guild just has a way with 12 strings unlike any other maker.