Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Label penmanship on Tacoma Guilds

Quote Originally Posted by tommym View Post
    I still have busted knuckles from the nuns that disapproved of the lack of quality of my penmanship in gradeschool.
    Which improved the legibility of said penmanship immensely, I'm sure.

Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

I finally learned some decent printing penmanship in drafting class (used to be called mechanical drawing.) With AutoCAD, that's a lost art.
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    And I agree with Ralph that discontinuation of the serial number stamping was a BAD idea. Labels are much easier to fake and tamper with. Or to lose altogether!
    Can it come back like Coke came back?

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    I used to joke that the most often used line in the labeling department at Westerly was, "Does anybody have a pen?"
    LOL ...and that was probably the only requirement to fill the position of company scribe!

I was once on jury duty in civil court here in Virginia. At the time, I was a project manager at a Land Surveying and Engineering Firm. I was in the habit of carrying a pen and mechanical pencil in my shirt pocket (matching set). When we retired to the jury room, I was elected Foreman because I had a pen and pencil in my pocket! True story!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Which improved the legibility of said penmanship immensely, I'm sure.

Yep, it sure did......those all day Saturday and Sunday writing sessions with Attila the Nun are still fresh in my memory. On the other hand, the Head Penguin was a very nice nun. So it wasn't all bad news.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    I finally learned some decent printing penmanship in drafting class (used to be called mechanical drawing.) With AutoCAD, that's a lost art.
    FYI....AutoCAD is becoming a lost art too! Not to many AutoCAD users left in our company.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1972 F-30 (purchased new in 1973; my FIRST Guild guitar!), (sold in 1979), (re-purchased this same guitar in 2013)
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Quote Originally Posted by tommym View Post
    FYI....AutoCAD is becoming a lost art too! Not to many AutoCAD users left in our company.

Tommy
    They have self-drawing blueprints now?
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Penmanship on my Westerley DV52 is legible and that is all that is important, really, but the Tacoma penmanship is so clean and clear. I am thinking if Guild pays that much attention to labels the guitar has to be as near flawless as they could possibly make it. Strike anyone else in such a positive way?
    I've probably seen more Guild labels than the average guy and I believe I can say that for the most part it's not too hard for me to figure out what's written on labels even when the penmanship is not all that great.

As someone who still writes letters (and sends them out ..... stamps and all) and who loves to get written letters back, I can appreciate good penmanship.

I too noticed that the writing on Tacoma labels is usually quite clear; not really nicely written, but easy to read. However, I've seen a few that made me wonder why they let the person, who wrote up the following example, anywhere near a label; or a pen for that matter!

......... and what happened to the double-S at the end of BlueGrass?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
    www.guitarsgalore.nl
    Last edited by hansmoust; 11-17-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hansmoust View Post

......... and what happened to the double-S at the end of BlueGrass?
    When I first read that label, I thought it said:

D 50
    Blue Eyes
    Special

As in "Judy Blue Eyes". I thought it might be a model that I hadn't heard of before.

sailin'shoes

that would be the blue "mardi gras" model. great for parties; very rare!