'67 F30 SB Rescue...Yeek

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
'67 F30 SB Rescue...Yeek ***Update 11/20***

Let me start by saying that I know better. But knowing better still doesn't stop me from doing stupid things sometimes.

I saw a local Craigslist ad for an original '67 F30 SB in very good condition. The reality was far from that but the guy selling the guitar explained that he was given the pics by someone else and didn't actually have the guitar in hand when he posted the ad.

The "story" was that this guy was selling a guitar for an older friend of a friend who had experienced a debilitating stroke. The guitar had sat unplayed for quite some time (the strings are indeed ancient and gummy) and now the owner's things were being gone through to tidy up in preparation for moving into assisted care. Whether true or not, I choose to believe stories like this because I choose to be an optimist in life and to look for the good in people. Doesn't mean a person shouldn't be wise in their dealings, but like I said, I choose to believe people without evidence to the contrary.

Now, the guitar.

The bad: SEVERELY dehydrated...I live in Arizona and it's dry here. This guitar's top was so sunken between the bridge and sound hole...the actual sound hole was distorted and angled downwards. The neck took a dive after reaching the body. The top seam had separated from the lower bout edge to the sound hole. The saddle, while still having good height, was also canting toward the neck and I spied some small cracking in the bridge between the pin holes. Finally, the original tuners (3 on a plates) were replaced with Grovers. Bleh. Oh, original case (which isn't going to protect anything it's so thin but it's original and I found a ton of stuff in the case compartment that I'm sure the guy I met didn't check but was a nice surprise - some kind of a mouth flute thing with 5 or 6 tubes plus other stuff).

The good: It's a pretty burst...lol. The pics are too red and it's more brownish in person. Frets are good, neck is straight (I mean without twist, but it does dive at the body), it's in fairly unmolested condition other than what I mentioned with some finish checking and scratches. Plus the dang guit is LIGHT.

3 things then conspired against me. 1) It's my birth year. Dumb, I know, but I'd by lying if I said it wasn't a factor. 2) I played it for a bit as much as I dared, and the bass for that small guitar was most impressive and even as hurt as it was, it RANG. 3) I quickly did a tally of what I thought it might cost to fix with the BIG supposition that humidifying it would even help it because I've never seen a guitar that bad before. I tallied in my head and came up with a price less than what I thought I'd be ok spending to make it right thinking he'd say no and I would leave, but after hemming and hawing he accepted and I left with this emaciated guitar.

I went home, loosened the strings, and stuck it in a closet with a humidifier set at 50%. These pics are 5 days later. The doggone guit is making a recovery. :tongue-new: The top has risen drastically, I really can't believe how much it's changed. The crack is closing tighter and tighter as well. When viewed from the side, it doesn't look nearly as concave. Such a dramatic difference.

I plan on humidifying it at 50% for another couple of weeks, then it's heading to a new luthier that a forum member recommended in the Phoenix area to tell me what the general health of the guitar is and what needs to be done. For sure it needs the center seam cleated and glued, and a new bridge installed as well. I'm hoping the braces are good...I tapped everywhere and didn't hear anything loose but I'm no luthier.

I'd like to find a set of original tuners for it...the grovers are too heavy for that light box and the 3 on a plates will cover up the holes from the Grovers just fine.

So that's my long story of a sucker that knew better but went ahead and bought a husk of a guitar. I hope it continues to come back...it's about 85% back already.

OIOCOSk.jpg

9uZTCd7.jpg

GUgcH6a.jpg

OhypF9j.jpg

gqtOhBj.jpg

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
I did the same thing to a horribly cracked and separated Guild 12 string guitar. The only difference is that I left the strings on but tuned down. The cracks did close up and the guitar appeared to go back to near normal.

So that would be a room humidifier set at 50%, plus an internal humidifier at about 47%. I used to really love fixing guitars.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Edit: Here's the link to the pic album, but I can't figure out how to make the pics just appear in the thread.

https://imgur.com/a/ey08U
Lessee, I just hovered over a pic and selected "copy" from a right click pull down menu.
I'm on a desktop using Explorer under Windows10 now, it used to be a little more complicated under an older version of Windows or Chrome, and I wouldn't even know what to do in a mobile app, so don't feel bad.

GUgcH6a.jpg

9uZTCd7.jpg

The link works good, though, and congrats!
Looks like a great find!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The photos show up beautifully in the original post now! Good for you, sixx, for rescuing this stray dog. I like the grain in mahogany sides (photo #4) and the tortoise shell binding. If the project goes well, it will be an nice addition to your Guild collection.

If you have a new bridge made, you will have a decision to make... a simple belly bridge or the fancier Guild cloud bridge.

Bill

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Really good find, I'd say! Congrats!
Might want to have the that bridge glued. Actually it looks to be in pretty darn good condition. I think you're gonna really like it.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
sixx:
I think this is headed for a happy ending and you will grow fond of that birth year '67. Great story.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I did the same thing to a horribly cracked and separated Guild 12 string guitar. The only difference is that I left the strings on but tuned down. The cracks did close up and the guitar appeared to go back to near normal.

I hope I have the same good fortune as you.

The link works good, though, and congrats!
Looks like a great find!

Thanks Al, and yup, I finally figured out how to post it directly.

The photos show up beautifully in the original post now! Good for you, sixx, for rescuing this stray dog. I like the grain in mahogany sides (photo #4) and the tortoise shell binding. If the project goes well, it will be an nice addition to your Guild collection.

If you have a new bridge made, you will have a decision to make... a simple belly bridge or the fancier Guild cloud bridge.

Bill

Thanks Bill, appreciate that. And re: the bridge, I'd go with what's original if possible.

Really good find, I'd say! Congrats!
Might want to have the that bridge glued. Actually it looks to be in pretty darn good condition. I think you're gonna really like it.

Thank you sir. And for whatever reason, that bridge is on there tight. Couldn't slide anything underneath it. If there was a way to seal the darn cracks which are invisible now but which show when under stress I'd do that. Not sure that's feasible though. Seems like once the wood is cracked, it's cracked and a bridge replacement is necessary. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

sixx:
I think this is headed for a happy ending and you will grow fond of that birth year '67. Great story.

Thank you Stu, I've been jonesin' for a short scale small body. Another reason I ignored common sense.

Cool find, good story, sweet guitar, love that burst!

Tks man. I'll take better pics of it once it gets healed.

Yes, the burst is sweet! Good luck!

walrus

Thanks Walrus, I'll take all the luck I can get. ;)

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you sir. And for whatever reason, that bridge is on there tight. Couldn't slide anything underneath it. If there was a way to seal the darn cracks which are invisible now but which show when under stress I'd do that. Not sure that's feasible though. Seems like once the wood is cracked, it's cracked and a bridge replacement is necessary. I'd be happy to be wrong though.

The reason I had mentioned that was that the bridge on my '67 F-30 had been cracked across the pin holes and someone had glued it, at least 20 yrs. or so ago and it's still solid. Gives it a nice touch of vintage character.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Big thumbs up for taking the project on. I think there is something rather noble about bringing an old and bit abused guitar back to life. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total

Thanks Ray...let's hope it turns out awesome.

The reason I had mentioned that was that the bridge on my '67 F-30 had been cracked across the pin holes and someone had glued it, at least 20 yrs. or so ago and it's still solid. Gives it a nice touch of vintage character.

WHAAAAA??? We have F30 year brothers? Cool. What's your serial number? Mine is AI 1628.

Re: the bridge glueing...I'd love to see a pic of what that looks like if you ever find the time to take one and share.

Big thumbs up for taking the project on. I think there is something rather noble about bringing an old and bit abused guitar back to life. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story.

Thanks for the encouragement, I appreciate it.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
WHAAAAA??? We have F30 year brothers? Cool. What's your serial number? Mine is AI 1628.

Re: the bridge glueing...I'd love to see a pic of what that looks like if you ever find the time to take one and share.

S/N AI-1638
RDPnGWG.jpg
[/IMG]
Fav5cJe.jpg
[/IMG]

Mine was probably in worse condition than yours. It had a refin done, cracks cleated and glued. There is no saddle adjustment left and string slots have been ramped. The action is low and it plays very easy and is so incredibly light wt.. Sounds good, but it will get a neck reset eventually. I love this guitar and the vintage mojo.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I've heard of 2 techniques:
Wicking super glue into it, or creating a "slurry" of fine sawdust of rosewood and wood-working glue and filling it.
If the bridge had acceptable height and no distortion I'd be ok with either one of those solutions. I'd expect "your luthier" would be familiar with the processes and could perform the appropriate one after giving his assessment.
From your description that it's only visible under stress, I'm guessing wicking superglue into it while it's slightly opened would be ideal.
But definitely get it dealt with before it gets any worse.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
S/N AI-1638

Mine was probably in worse condition than yours. It had a refin done, cracks cleated and glued. There is no saddle adjustment left and string slots have been ramped. The action is low and it plays very easy and is so incredibly light wt.. Sounds good, but it will get a neck reset eventually. I love this guitar and the vintage mojo.

Only 10 away...pretty close. That's a good looking guitar and you're right, the bridge repair adds to the mojo...that's a good word. Appreciate the pics and sharing of info. :)

I've heard of 2 techniques:
Wicking super glue into it, or creating a "slurry" of fine sawdust of rosewood and wood-working glue and filling it.
If the bridge had acceptable height and no distortion I'd be ok with either one of those solutions. I'd expect "your luthier" would be familiar with the processes and could perform the appropriate one after giving his assessment.
From your description that it's only visible under stress, I'm guessing wicking superglue into it while it's slightly opened would be ideal.
But definitely get it dealt with before it gets any worse.

Yes, super glue route seems best given there's no extra crack space to fill - it just needs to be strengthened. Thanks for the info, Al! I'm very encouraged now...I thought for sure I was going to have to replace the bridge which I didn't want to. My camera skills aren't as nice as rampside's, but I really like the grain pattern in the current bridge and I'm tickled I may get to keep it.

"Very nice. Great success." Borat

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
***Update***

Update - It's been another 5 days and I thought I'd post an update in hopes that anyone who searches on "dehydrated" or some such term will find this post and have hope.

The F30's shape has come completely back. No more sinkage between the bridge and neck area and the misshapen soundhole is once again as it should be...round and aligned. Also, i couldn't resist but I tuned the old strings back up to pitch and played it for a bit. I'm EXTREMELY pleased. It's a loud, very responsive instrument. I play with bare fingers and a light touch is all that is needed. I can't wait to get some new strings on it, but for now I've detuned once again, and the F30's enjoying a constant 48% humidity until after Thanksgiving when I'll drop it off at the luthier for some additional R&R. The neck angle looks fine but it def needs that crack cleated and perhaps the bridge glued/strengthened between the pin holes, plus whatever else he finds.

I still can't quite believe that the F30 came back so quickly. 10 days ago it was collapsing in on itself, today it sang again like it was meant to. Good stuff. :) These old Guilds are made to be played (and last)!

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
It truly is amazing what proper humidification will do for a solid wood guitar. My Orpheum 12 fret 12 string came to me new from a shop in Salt Lake City where it had sat on a wall for two years neglected of proper humidification. When it got here to the Gulf coast the fret ends were sticking out far enough to hang a finger on on both sides of the fretboard and the ebony fretboard was so dry it looked like light rosewood. After 2 weeks down here in the Humidity the frets ends were completely covered and the fretboard returned to it's deep dark grain. I would love to find a guitar that was severely dried out and then do a time lapse video of it being re-humidified over a two week period. I would bet the change from dried out to properly humidified in the time lapse would be pretty dramatic not to mention really cool to see the process.

Glad she is coming around and glad to hear you are loving it! Failure to properly humidify a solid wood guitar is probably the number one reason for them needing repairs.

TX

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I would love to find a guitar that was severely dried out and then do a time lapse video of it being re-humidified over a two week period. I would bet the change from dried out to properly humidified in the time lapse would be pretty dramatic not to mention really cool to see the process.

Any excuse to buy another guitar, eh?
Of course, I gotta admit, I would watch the video.
:biggrin-new: