Low B with Hipshot D Tuner and other Pilot specs.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I4kcL6I.jpg

The catalog scan above was posted here.

I do not recall ever seeing that the Hipshot Drop D tuner was an option on Pilots. Mine has one but I just figured it was aftermarket.

But if I am reading this correctly the SB-605 came with one standard (and I presume that was a five string bass) and it was available as an option on any Pilot for $100.

We know about the different headtstocks. The "Off Set" headstock was a $20 upgrade. Which is which, now that we know Guild called one of them "Off Set"?

And then, there is a part of me that really wants to see a "Purple Burst" although I will either avert my eyes or don spandex afterwards.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
And then, there is a part of me that really wants to see a "Purple Burst" although I will either avert my eyes or don spandex afterwards.

I cannot in good conscience even post a link to what Google Images returns for "Purpleburst Leotard".
But I need to see an eye doctor right away.

Them ol' lists is fascinatin' stuff, though, ain't they?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Assuming you all can see the photo below.

I think the "Purpleburst" is the bass on the far left! (Interesting Pickguard!)

Guild010_zpsqikfz0tb.jpg

(I know the third from the left is "Blueburst".)

SB-600s.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
We know about the different headtstocks. The "Off Set" headstock was a $20 upgrade. Which is which, now that we know Guild called one of them "Off Set"?
I was gonna bet that the "Offset" is what I've seen called the "cake knife" IIRC, and it's presence on "J" the SB604 in that photo seems to confirm it?
If I owned that thing I'd be mightily tempted to evoke a fighter ace theme over that "sunrise" motif by organizing 7 or 8 little "Fender" logo decals in a rectangle on the upper bass bout....
:glee:
Great pic, Kurt, thank you!

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks. I love the blue burst but the first picture does not do it justice. Maybe the purple burst is better in person?

Headstock nomenclature. Fill in the blanks, or correct me. I want to know what do we call them and which one Guild called "Off Set" when it was a $20 upgrade. My comments are below the pictures.

SB-600s.jpg

Foot? No special name from Guild?

pilot.jpg

Other foot or cake knife? No special name from Guild?

imageuploadedbytalkbass1411990537-243620-jpg.484357

Other Cake Knife? Pointy head stock? Guild's "Off Set"?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
apparently all 3 of them look like a "cake knife" in different countries all over the world, so I thought we decided to tank that name.

Grot's blue burst set above features the "foot headstock" (or in this case, feet)
the black one Frono posted is the "droopy headstock"
the super pointy (literally a stabbing weapon) triangular headstock is the "knife" (S-284 aviator) also looks the most like a hockey stick

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
OK, let's see if we can get this straightened out.

"Foot":

120305445835-6.jpg

"Cake Knife":

180161707582-2.jpg

I believe that Hans has said that he is reluctant to use the "Cake Knife" nickname in Volume II because the rest of the world does not recognize a "Cake Knife" as this: (The utensil on the left!)

love-knot-handle-cake-server-set-lg.jpg

"Offset":

85-guild-pilot-fretless-1-jpg.199516

I hope this has cleared everything up.

These headstock designs also pertain to the guitars though there were two different "Offsets".

This one "matches" the Bass:

guild-sprint-blk-hdf-b.jpg

And then there's this one:

Guild-S284-Blue-Headstock1.jpg

Thank you for attending today's seminar, class dismissed.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
bottom line, no matter which headstock u have, if u don't have a whammy bar on your bass guitar, u have nothing

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Thank you for attending today's seminar, class dismissed.
Thank you.
I do remember the story about the reluctance to use the term "Cake Knife", now, but I saw it so early in my time here it's kinda stuck in my memory.
That last post oughta be a sticky or maybe in the FAQ section.
Mods?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the reminder and definitions. I never really grasped that there were three variations so I was thinking that the "foot" and "cake knife" were the same and called "foot" and the "offset" was the "cake knife". Fixed that.

While I suffer from Khaler Envy is it possible that I have the only Pilot with a dropped D tuner on LTG? ;-)

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
While I suffer from Khaler Envy is it possible that I have the only Pilot with a dropped D tuner on LTG? ;-)

No sorry, I think I have one or two!

By the way, if you do big divebombs with the Khaler, because there's no locking nut or locking tuners, it knocks the bass way out of tune!