Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Upcoming gig and nervous

Quote Originally Posted by jmascis View Post
    Hey guys. Now that I got my guild setup and playing nicely, I decided to schedule a gig over Thanksgiving weekend. It's my first in like 20 years. I quit back then because of performance anxiety. But, I want to give this another shot because I love playing music.

Do you have any advice?

I can play pretty well at home, but even going to guitar shops to test instruments I freeze up and suddenly my left hand becomes a death grip claw and might right hand has no idea how to play rhythms (at home this never happens). So if it's that bad in a guitar shop I guess I'm not over this and fear I'll bomb. I'm going to start with some relatively simple songs because of this, but any other tips? I want to get into some kind of zen state where I just don't care and have fun. That's what I keep telling myself. That nobody cares if I flub a chord, etc.
    Do what I do......remember it's coming out, so it might as well come out your best (if they don't like it, give them the guitar)......AND drink two glasses of wine and call me in the morning.

West
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... nt=widgets

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

Best advice I ever received about playing live was this:

Remember that if you make a mistake:
    95% of the people won't even notice.
    4% will notice but won't care.
    1% will notice and mentally mark you down for it, but you probably wouldn't want to be friends with them, anyway.

That simple bit of advice was given me by a guitar teacher and it made all the difference in the world to me. I've proven it to myself on many occasions playing for small groups of people and after mistakes, asked if they noticed any. It's very rare for a non-musicial to notice mistake.

Also, never play the toughest song first. That one I learned the hard way.
    1970s: [ S70 ]
    1980s: [ BB | X79-3 | 2x X80 | X100 | S270 | S281 | 2x S284 | S285? | S300AD ]
    1980s: [ X82 | Detonator | Liberator Elite | 2x Nightbirds ]
    1990s: [ 2x S100 | X170 | X170T | SB602F | SF IV | SF V | BB | NB I | NB Dlx ]
    2000s: [ SF IV | BB-90 ]
    2010s:
    [ NS BB ]
    Amps: [ G300 | G500 | G600 ]

My Blogs: GADsGuilds.com | Blog | Cozy Tales

Saw a kid in a bar one time, he had a slick Tele and a big amp, and he absolutely nailed the blues song "Red House." I was impressed.

Next he murdered a Jim Croce song, I mean it was absolutely dreadful.

Know your strengths...
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

Quote Originally Posted by West R Lee View Post
    Do what I do......remember it's coming out, so it might as well come out your best (if they don't like it, give them the guitar)......AND drink two glasses of wine and call me in the morning.

West
    Jim, this is the BEST advice. Some of my best support will be my most hateful critics but if they ain't singing??? Here's the MIKE BITCH!! Just keep a good thought and do your best..... it's taken me 64 years to learn that one, you know?? Everyone has lots of opinions and judgement. But they ain't singing!! Or playing!!
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    Jim, this is the BEST advice. Some of my best support will be my most hateful critics but if they ain't singing??? Here's the MIKE BITCH!! Just keep a good thought and do your best..... it's taken me 64 years to learn that one, you know?? Everyone has lots of opinions and judgement. But they ain't singing!! Or playing!!
    Years ago I shut a couple of guys up who were making fun. I stood up and handed the guitar to them. They politely declined and shut up. What I always used to love about Arlington was that one's skill level never mattered.........everybody there was so nurturing of everyone else. I personally saw player after player come out of their shell in that environment. Graham......Scratch.......neither had ever played in front of people before. Over the years, Graham has picked up on guitar faster than maybe anyone I've ever seen, And Scratch? Well he writes all his own music now and straps a harmonica around his head while he plays and sings. Both were true beginners in '07 or '08, and I think the folks in Arlington gave them the confidence.

West

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

Quote Originally Posted by West R Lee View Post
    Both were true beginners in '07 or '08, and I think the folks in Arlington gave them the confidence. West
    Is Arlington a guitar show where they sound demo in front of a few folks, or do they also have an open mic there, or something?

1978 Tama Drums (mahogany)
    2007 Guild D55
    2010 Guild F512
    2011 Rickenbacker 360/12

LMG III

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by idealassets View Post
    Is Arlington a guitar show where they sound demo in front of a few folks, or do they also have an open mic there, or something?
    Many years ago at the Arlington Guitar show, some LTG folks rented a meeting area and met there. About ten folks, plus or minus, sat around and played their Guilds for and with each other. It happened two or three times that I can recall, although I was not there. If you recall when the Guilds took over the lobby at a hotel at the LMG you attended, that is probably a close comparison. But it was not an offical activity of the show, nor was it an open mic in the usual sense. just friends playing together.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by idealassets View Post
    For 4 or 5 years, each year beginning in '07, LTG held a get together centered around the largest vintage guitar show held at the Arlington Convention center in Arlington, Texas each October. Another reason we held the get together there was because it was the only American guitar show Hans Moust did each year. On Saturday nights we'd lease a cabin behind the hotel and had an LTG get together and an "open mike" where LTG members would play solo, accompany each other, or simply take it all in. It was truly a blast and many of us miss it enormously. It seems we've all just gotten too busy.

West

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

On the Verde Valley Wine Trail near Sedona, Arizona
    Wow, that's the way to do it.....sounds like a dream get together. What a beautiful thing. Just appreciation in the most honest and open sense.

"Too busy" then too dead" (or physically unable anymore) and then too "late." Too common.
    Westerly JF55, JF30-12, GF-30, D40
    Loving life in our "little slice of paradise" in central Arizona!