Guild Guitar recommendation for children beginning lessons

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I think that TX's junior jumbo suggestion's the best so far because not only do you have the short scale, but the shorter scales inherently have less tension at pitch.
Top it off with silk'n'steels and possible a touch of set-up to lower the action a tad, and you have an instrument that's actually very easy for a kid to play.
My 8 year old nephew got a First Act from well-meaning but unknowledgable grandparents at Christmas last year, and then a "back-packer"-sized Luna from me, and greatly prefers the Luna.
Short scale, easy to play, and just feels like a "real" guitar.

NEONMOONY

Reaction score
For a child, I think you should get an import, something not only small bodied but with a shallow neck. The fat necks on a lot of Guilds can give a kid problems with his hand muscles. You see a lot of youngsters playing skinny neck electrics with ease.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, I know you asked for "Guild guitar" recommendations and I've suggested everything but what you asked for. I only have a couple of Guild dreads and I used to own an F-512, but I have no experience with smaller Guilds.

I've got another story for you. A few years ago my cousin says to me (when I took him to the Del McCoury concert) he says "My Grampa bought me a guitar when I was 10 years old. He came right into my bedroom one night and asked me "What instrument would you like to play" and I said "Guitar, Grampa."

The next week on payday, his Grampa gave him a red 1958 Les Paul Jr. and an amp. It was the entry level LP, 1 p/u way down by the bridge and 2 knobs. Long story short; he still has it! And it's a Junior Junior, built with a short scale neck. It's a double cutaway like an SG. There were only 400 made.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
dreadnut:
Another great story. I am not "headstrong" it has to be a Guild but if he learns to play and appreciates music he will wind up with my dv52, most likely.
I have had great suggestio s and keeping a file.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, people likely would have told my cousin's Grampa to start him out on a cheap guitar, but he went out and plunked down $120 for that LP Jr., and that was some serious coin in 1958.

When he told me about it I said "Oh no, please don't tell me you sold it to one of your friends in high school or something." He says, "No, I've still got it." He still has the amp too, I figure that must be worth a few shekels too, but I haven't researched it like I did the LP Jr.

i4TggvN.jpg

HNdNYkV.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, people likely would have told my cousin's Grampa to start him out on a cheap guitar, but he went out and plunked down $120 for that LP Jr., and that was some serious coin in 1958.

When he told me about it I said "Oh no, please don't tell me you sold it to one of your friends in high school or something." He says, "No, I've still got it." He still has the amp too, I figure that must be worth a few shekels too, but I haven't researched it like I did the LP Jr.

For some reason that story just warms the cockles of my heart.
Maybe I'm hoping my nephew'll do something similar, or at least learn how to treasure something the same way?
BTW the idea with the "backpacker" Luna was to give him something that was scaled to his size, very closely to how a regular sized guitar fits a full or almost fully grown person.
Just like your cousin's grampa instinctively or more likely, consciously did.
I actually bought it when he was only 4 and saved it until he was old enough to know how to take care of it.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Some people would kill just to get their hands on the capacitors wired across the pots in this LP Jr., LOL.

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Some people would kill just to get their hands on the capacitors wired across the pots in this LP Jr., LOL.

Indeed....and those old LP Jr's are worth a LOT of money. Sidenote....in 2015 Gibson began putting a 1.85" +/- neck on those LP Jr's....crazy wide. I've always had a soft spot for those old Gibson electrics.