Guild Guitar recommendation for children beginning lessons

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Have a grandson in first grade who is taking piano lessons. He loves music and talks about guitar lessons next. When he visits TN for Christmas, I will let him sit and make sounds on any of my three guitars (to me none of the three are as special as he is) he wishes to enjoy. My question is what Guild and what strings for him when and "if" he begins taking lessons next summer? Any good patient teachers in Falls Church, VA you would recommend?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd suggest a smaller body -20 for ergonomics. PM me in a year and I'll see if my former teacher is interested in a student that young. I wonder if Grandpa's Pride is getting ahead of itself :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
fronobulaxg:
No doubt your last sentence is correct! Always thought, "pretty poor mule that wouldn't brag on his on stable." lol

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good on you. Never too early IMHO to get those young un's involved. Wish I would have started in the 1st grade. I'd likely still suck but maybe not quite so bad.

griehund

Reaction score
If Guild made a cigar box, that would be the way to go. I sent one to my grandkids in Japan. Got it from Elder. They play with it more than they play it.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I found an inexpensive First Act (REALLY inexpensive) for my grandson, and it actually works pretty well, plays easily and is perfect for a kid. I tuned it to an open "D" so he could be more successful at playing. It's pretty small guitar, good for smaller hands. Once he starts really getting after it, I will get him a nicer guitar. Or he'll inherit one of mine.

It's actually kinda fun playing the Blues on this little thing...

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I agree that the small-bodied acoustics from Guild's new or older series used would be good choices. They're very easy to hold for smaller people. If you can find a used M-120 or an affordably priced M-240E from the Westerly Series would both work well and are pretty high-quality starters.

If you need to be more budget conscious, I think the best value-to-quality guitars are any of the Godin Series lines: Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, or La Patrie guitars. Depending on age and size, any parlor, concert, or orchestra size should work well.

Personally, though, the Guild's are definitely worth the money and will last from early years to intermediate level.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
ip:
There is a 240e in the Nashville craigslist that I will check on when we return from Falls Church.
Would nylon strings be better than steel or steel only on 240e. Just thinking about tender fingertips and desire to practice.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You can look at the F20/M20 series from westerly or the newer made in china versions for good solid guitars to start with. Something I would seriously consider is the new Guild Junior Jumbo as it has a shorter than normal scale at 23.75 inches which means it takes less string tension to reach pitch which is easier on the fingers for a beginner. It has a relatively same body size as the 240E with the choice of Maple or Mahogany arched back and sides. The absence of internal back bracing also makes the guitar lighter which will be easier on him. You can find them new in either Hog or Maple back and sides for around $350 MAP pricing and used for around $250. I would also consider some coated light or extra light strings to get him started as the coating normally is easier on the fingers and allows for much longer periods between string changes. Just a suggestion as always but if I were in your shoes I would definitely consider the Junior Jumbo. Here is the link to Guilds page.

http://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-mahogany/

TX

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Tx:
Thanks and I do like the looks of the Junior Jumbo and suggestions on strings.

poser

Reaction score
I don't think nylon strings are any easier on the fingers that steel strings. I started playing with nylon strings and got blisters on my fingers just the same. You can always lower some of the tension on the strings by using them a little below concert pitch.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would recommend silk & steel strings, they are very easy on the fingers. (unlike my first guitar which was like telephone cables on a two-by-four, LOL)

I think it is crucial to build early success into his lesson plan; I like to send my students home playing a song the first week, even if it is just a one string song or an open tuning thing, kids and adults alike.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
just an additional suggestion/opinion I would consider the GAD/Westerlycollection/M-120, small body and short (but full) scale. This is a professional model (yes even the Asian one), but would still work for a first grader, I would guess. An easy re-sell later, popular and standard model. there is a nice looking Cherry one on Reverb now for 559 or best offer. has a gig bag or hard foam case. not sure of electronics or not. looks to have the MIRC refurb sticker over the serial number. In my experience that basicaly means the guitar was unsold inventoty, went to a 3rd party where it is was set up recently and has no warranty,but should be essentially brand new. possibly a customer return. the cherry red Guild acoustics seem to be getting more popular. this is just an import in poly but still is pretty. no affiliation, etc. make a hot black friday offer!! bwahaha https://reverb.com/item/6897455-guild-m120-cherry-red

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Getting lots of great suggestions and needed information. The grandson still has 7 months of piano lessons before he can try guitar. His parents told him a year of piano and if he wanted to try a different instrument that would be fine but no quitting piano until a years worth of lessons. I am pretty sure his parents will ask my opinion on guitar and with your advice I will be able to offer excellent advice or say, "I have an extra one that would be just fine" and give him the one I bought based on your replies.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
just an additional suggestion/opinion I would consider the GAD/Westerlycollection/M-120, small body and short (but full) scale. This is a professional model (yes even the Asian one), but would still work for a first grader, I would guess. An easy re-sell later, popular and standard model. there is a nice looking Cherry one on Reverb now for 559 or best offer. has a gig bag or hard foam case. not sure of electronics or not. looks to have the MIRC refurb sticker over the serial number. In my experience that basicaly means the guitar was unsold inventoty, went to a 3rd party where it is was set up recently and has no warranty,but should be essentially brand new. possibly a customer return. the cherry red Guild acoustics seem to be getting more popular. this is just an import in poly but still is pretty. no affiliation, etc. make a hot black friday offer!! bwahaha https://reverb.com/item/6897455-guild-m120-cherry-red
I think this is an outstanding idea.

Dread, I'm glad you had luck with that First Act guitar, but I had bad luck with an electric that I bought as a starter kit for my kids. It was a big mistake (and a serious piece of junk).

Anyway, good luck in the hunt, Stu. I am a big fan of getting nice instruments for youth players to get them (and keep them) interested.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Stu, my Mom had me take piano lessons when I was young and I hated it. My piano teacher took my Mom aside one day and told her "You're wasting your money; he won't learn to read music."

She got me my first guitar a few years later, and I've been playing (by ear) for almost 50 years now...

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Dreadnut:
Great story and always thought people who could play by ear "felt" the notes instead of just seeing the notes. I realize there are those who can do both. I know I would enjoy your playing.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Agree with the jr jumbo and silk and steel strings...the short scale and narrow nut is more accommodating for small kids hands...nylon/classical fingerboards are wider...and longer scale...full scale doesn't work for kids...they can't handle the spacing on the lower frets.

Meanwhile, you could get the kid an ukulele...the size that's tuned like the 4 high strings on the guitar...with an easy kids beginner book with pictures...he can learn to hold it, develop some hand strength, and ease thru the beginners sore fingers until he/his parents are ready to give him guitar lessons...no reason he can't learn a second instrument while taking piano...all music is related...and maybe he won't hate his piano lessons so much if he can look forward to playing with the ukulele after practice.

Above all, make it fun for the kid.

Hint: holidays are coming.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Almost hate to suggest it, but Epiphone LP's are cheap, and easy for a kid to play. That's what I started my son on, and he transitioned to acoustic easily when he got a little bigger.

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Although classical strings are easy on the fingers, I think the wide fret board and high string height of classicals are more difficult to fret for younger beginners.