Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Guild Guitar recommendation for children beginning lessons

Guild Guitar recommendation for children beginning lessons

Have a grandson in first grade who is taking piano lessons. He loves music and talks about guitar lessons next. When he visits TN for Christmas, I will let him sit and make sounds on any of my three guitars (to me none of the three are as special as he is) he wishes to enjoy. My question is what Guild and what strings for him when and "if" he begins taking lessons next summer? Any good patient teachers in Falls Church, VA you would recommend?
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

Blog Entries
    I'd suggest a smaller body -20 for ergonomics. PM me in a year and I'll see if my former teacher is interested in a student that young. I wonder if Grandpa's Pride is getting ahead of itself :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

fronobulaxg:
    No doubt your last sentence is correct! Always thought, "pretty poor mule that wouldn't brag on his on stable." lol

Good on you. Never too early IMHO to get those young un's involved. Wish I would have started in the 1st grade. I'd likely still suck but maybe not quite so bad.
    -A whole lotta Guilds, mostly acoustic but a few nice electric pieces as well

-Not nearly so many Martins, Gibsons and Taylors

-2 Chinese Blueridges and 1 Epi Masterbilt

"I Hope To Die Young At A Very Old Age"

I've found that the secret to having a very happy life is to have very low expectations

If Guild made a cigar box, that would be the way to go. I sent one to my grandkids in Japan. Got it from Elder. They play with it more than they play it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4BYOJ1tc-k

If you can't laugh at yourself, someone else will do it for you.

1974 D40 "Big D"
    2010 Gretsch 6129 blue mother of toilet seat "Little Mother"
    2013 Newark St. Starfire III "Red"
    1980 Yamaha FG 331 "El Kabong"

I found an inexpensive First Act (REALLY inexpensive) for my grandson, and it actually works pretty well, plays easily and is perfect for a kid. I tuned it to an open "D" so he could be more successful at playing. It's pretty small guitar, good for smaller hands. Once he starts really getting after it, I will get him a nicer guitar. Or he'll inherit one of mine.

It's actually kinda fun playing the Blues on this little thing...
    "The air's as still as the throttle on a funeral train." John Prine

'76 D-25M
    '99 DV-52ABHG
    '98 DeArmond Starfire Special
    Takamine Acoustic Flying "A"
    Crate CA-125D Acoustic Amp
    Fishman Loudbox Mini Acoustic Amp

I agree that the small-bodied acoustics from Guild's new or older series used would be good choices. They're very easy to hold for smaller people. If you can find a used M-120 or an affordably priced M-240E from the Westerly Series would both work well and are pretty high-quality starters.

If you need to be more budget conscious, I think the best value-to-quality guitars are any of the Godin Series lines: Art & Lutherie, Simon & Patrick, or La Patrie guitars. Depending on age and size, any parlor, concert, or orchestra size should work well.

Personally, though, the Guild's are definitely worth the money and will last from early years to intermediate level.
    1959 T-100 DP
    1968 CE-100 DP
    1976 BluesBird M-75

ip:
    There is a 240e in the Nashville craigslist that I will check on when we return from Falls Church.
    Would nylon strings be better than steel or steel only on 240e. Just thinking about tender fingertips and desire to practice.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

You can look at the F20/M20 series from westerly or the newer made in china versions for good solid guitars to start with. Something I would seriously consider is the new Guild Junior Jumbo as it has a shorter than normal scale at 23.75 inches which means it takes less string tension to reach pitch which is easier on the fingers for a beginner. It has a relatively same body size as the 240E with the choice of Maple or Mahogany arched back and sides. The absence of internal back bracing also makes the guitar lighter which will be easier on him. You can find them new in either Hog or Maple back and sides for around $350 MAP pricing and used for around $250. I would also consider some coated light or extra light strings to get him started as the coating normally is easier on the fingers and allows for much longer periods between string changes. Just a suggestion as always but if I were in your shoes I would definitely consider the Junior Jumbo. Here is the link to Guilds page.

http://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-mahogany/

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 1976 G41, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284, 1993 JF100-NT-CRV
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Ann. Brz RW#10 of 50, 2003 X160 R.B., 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph 12 Fret Slope, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

Tx:
    Thanks and I do like the looks of the Junior Jumbo and suggestions on strings.