NGD 1974 Guild F-30NT

Kitarkus

Reaction score
That's a good acquisition. I really like the modern Gibby take - the American Eagle - that I played. REALLY liked it, actually.

I like ALMOST everything about that guitar....including the price. Unfortunately (and I have not seen it in person)....I don't think I can live with the looks of the American Eagle.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I like ALMOST everything about that guitar....including the price. Unfortunately (and I have not seen it in person)....I don't think I can live with the looks of the American Eagle.

I hear you. In person I didn't mind the looks. In hand it was light, resonant, played easy. I dug it. However the one I had in hand had a funky neck hump at the body join, so I'd recommend being careful.

Reaction score
There's that puzzling comment again...."plays like butter."
I think we get your point but I'm still curious about the origin of the phrase.
Anyone?

Curious Joe

“Like butter” or “Like buttah” is an old expression I have heard for decades! Not just about guitars... but just describing anything that’s smooth or seemingly effortless. They say Barbara Streisand’s voice is “Like buttah”... in fact, didn’t Babs herself use it to describe...something... in her concert at Central Park? I use the phrase myself when describing the action on some guitars... or even flawless paint jobs on classic cars!

bobouz

Reaction score
Whoever let that happen to the peghead should be tarred & feathered! A beautiful example otherwise.

I bought a similar flat-backed F-30 back in the '70s (there was an arch-backed version, too), and at some point foolishly traded it away. Had to correct that mistake & picked up a '73 F-30R a few years ago, which was the first year of that model, as well as the initial year of the F-30's switch from a 000-shaped body to the mini-jumbo version. It's probably my all-time favorite body size & shape for an acoustic.

I also have one of the Gibson LG2-AEs mentioned above, which has the shorter 24.75" scale. Even though the F-30 has the longer scale, playability-wise these are two of my favorite instruments.

Congrats on a great acquisition!

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Whoever let that happen to the peghead should be tarred & feathered! A beautiful example otherwise.

I bought a similar flat-backed F-30 back in the '70s (there was an arch-backed version, too), and at some point foolishly traded it away. Had to correct that mistake & picked up a '73 F-30R a few years ago, which was the first year of that model, as well as the initial year of the F-30's switch from a 000-shaped body to the mini-jumbo version. It's probably my all-time favorite body size & shape for an acoustic.

I also have one of the Gibson LG2-AEs mentioned above, which has the shorter 24.75" scale. Even though the F-30 has the longer scale, playability-wise these are two of my favorite instruments.

Congrats on a great acquisition!

Thanks very much. I am actually patting myself on the back for pulling the trigger on this one. SO glad that I didn't pass it up. I'm enjoying this F-30 more than I'd ever anticipated. I absolutely love it. So much in fact, that I don't even notice the scar on the head stock. This is a keeper (and yes...you may point out that I said this when I decide to sell it later). The combination of play-ability, tone, and comfort of this guitar is unrivaled when compared to other guitars that I've owned. This is a great compromise for those who do not wish to deal with dread or jumbo sized guitars but do not wish to compromise on the quality of tone. This is not as loud as a D-40 nor does it have the bass of a dread or jumbo....but it doesn't matter....because "it" all just "works" so well. If I can ever put it down long enough...I'm going to take this guitar to my favorite guitar store (https://massstreetmusic.com/) for a bone nut, saddle, and pins. This guitar deserves bone.

As far as your F-30R goes.....I've been thinking a lot about this model this week. I almost think that I could add your F-30R to this F-30NT and be truly satisfied. I don't perform. I'm not a good guitarist. I enjoy guitars and play and learn to relax. These F-30's are perfect. Unfortunately I do not want any of the 1 3/4 nut width F-30's that are more prevalent in the later/more recent years. I predict that this new (to me) NH D-40 Standard is going to be spending time in a humidified case this winter. The D-40 is a superb example and sounds great....but damn this F-30 if fun to play.

Last edited:

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
"This is a keeper (and yes...you may point out that I said this when I decide to sell it later)."

Having the poor taste to draw attention to that upon the sale of a guitar will get you thrown out of most places I frequent...it's simply not done. ;) The bonding of a "new to us" guitar and the new owner is a magical process and is understood quite well by those of us who spend time frequenting online venues to discuss, gaze upon, and pore over all things guitar. We're fanatics.

So glad to hear how great your new guit is...smaller guitars that don't sound boxy are a beautiful thing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There's that puzzling comment again...."plays like butter."
I think we get your point but I'm still curious about the origin of the phrase.
Anyone?

Curious Joe

According to several online slang/idiom/etymological references I painstakingly searched for and checked, the phrase doesn't exit.
It's a hoax, a chimera, a malapropo-ism purposefully perpetrated by players of poor taste.
Otherwise I'd guess it simply sounds more appetizing than "slicker than snot".
:eek-new:

Last edited:

Kitarkus

Reaction score
Well...I've had this little F-30 for most of a month now and I absolutely love the guitar. I'd shown the head stock scar prior. Now I've also observed now that the top center lower bout has a slight but obvious belly to it....while the area in front of the bridge between the sound hole seems absolutely flat. If I described such an 'issue' to a prospective buyer....they would probably balk....but I gotta tell you....this thing sounds like a MUCH more expensive, perfect, vintage guitar. The bridge appears perfect. The action is better than perfect. I have abundant saddle remaining. The notes really really really ring and sustain...it produces a balanced and very woody vintage mahogany tone that I don't believe you can obtain without age....and it plays more similarly to an electric guitar than it does a steel string acoustic. If this is "bellying"....then please allow all of my guitars to belly in this fashion. For all of the cosmetic "wrongs" with this guitar....it does all things that a guitar should do so 'right'.

If I've ever owned a true 'keeper' guitar...this is it.....warts and all. During my long quest for a good sounding 'small body' guitar at a reasonable price....I overlooked the F-30 entirely. I have very limited experiences with F-30's so I cannot speak from experience, however, I'd find it hard to believe that I could pick up 10 different "F-30's" and have a similar degree of play-ability and sound quality compared to this 1974 F-30. I am very surprised that the Seller was willing to part with this guitar....but he did have a long list of very expensive pre-war Martins in his arsenal. Lucky me. I do have a somewhat difficult time calling this F-30 a "small body guitar". This is not a small 0, 00, 000, or even OM. As most of you know....this is a size/shape all its own....I'd call it a mini jumbo shape/size. It is deep bodied...and at about 15" lower bout. That said....the shape is much more comfortable ( to me ) when compared to a dread. This guitar absolutely does not produce dread deep bass.....but once you start playing it....you won't miss any depth of tones.

Again...I implore you all...later when I inevitably....for whatever dumb GAS involved reason....think of selling this guitar...I will rely on you kind people to remind me that I am behaving irrationally. I'm thankful that my libido never compelled me to dump women in the way that I've been known to dump high quality guitars. Beautiful women walk by and I might just glance and move on. When I see a guitar....I flirt and take my wallet out of my pocket immediately. I'll stick with guitars.

Last edited: