'76 D-35: bone or nut?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm doing some upgrades on my favorite axe and wonder: Are the nut and saddle on a '76 D-35 bone or nut?

Thanks!

Hi Charlie, welcome aboard!
Never heard of Guild installing bone until Tacoma.
Assuming they're original, 99.9% probability they're Micarta.
First heard it here from Hans Moust several years ago.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, if your axe wasn't bought new, Charlie, someone might've replaced the saddle/nut before you. Honestly, if you're worried about that aspect of originality, I wouldn't. Use bone. :)

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Bone nut, Saddle, and Bridge pin upgrade. Has made every one of my Westerly made Guilds even better than they were to begin with. As far as the originality aspect I think the upgrade far outweighs any issues you may encounter with keeping it 100% original.

TX

Reaction score
I am a big fan of the Bone nut, Saddle, and Bridge pin upgrade. Has made every one of my Westerly made Guilds even better than they were to begin with. As far as the originality aspect I think the upgrade far outweighs any issues you may encounter with keeping it 100% original.

TX

+1

Plus, the OP said he said he was doing "upgrades", not restoration.
Even if it were a restoration, I would think that bone upgrades would be acceptable.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I guess I really don't understand the question: "bone or nut?"

Charlie Bernstein

Reaction score
Maybe they were makin' 'em outta coconut husk at one time?
Initially I just assumed it was a typo and drove right on by.

You read my mind like an open comic book.

Thanks, gang! The saddle and nut don't look like bone to my untrained eyes, but thought I'd ask folks who know before making changes - and someone at another forum suggested I ask here.

So now I know. Now excuse me while I contact StewMac about their vaunted coconut husk upgrade . . . .

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
You read my mind like an open comic book.

Thanks, gang! The saddle and nut don't look like bone to my untrained eyes, but thought I'd ask folks who know before making changes - and someone at another forum suggested I ask here.

So now I know. Now excuse me while I contact StewMac about their vaunted coconut husk upgrade . . . .

To tell, with an untrained eye, I think you take the saddle out, heat a straight pin and then poke the saddle with the pin in an inconspicuous place. If the result smells like burning plastic then you don' have a bone saddle. If it matters someone who knows will certainly correct me or confirm ;-)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

To be fair I thought it was entirely possible you knew something I didn't know about what might have been used long ago as an alternative to bone, and I was thinking "Maybe he really does mean 'nut' ?", as in some kind of nut shell.
Which led me to wonder what kinda nut could have a shell big, thick, and hard enough to serve the purpose?
All I could come up with was coconut.

Last edited: