The Obligatory and Periodic What Strings are You Using Thread

InvisibleWren

Reaction score
Guild Total
For the past few years I've been using Dunlops and using either 12s or 13s. Idk if my ear has changed, but I'm liking them less and less. Looking at changing. SO... What are you using? Brand? Gauge? What do you like about them.

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I put John Pearse PB's on everything. I guess I have no imagination.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Recently switched from D'Addario Phosphor Bronze mediums (EJ17) to Bluegrass (EJ19.) The top 3 strings are slightly lighter so I'm finding them easier to play, but I can still get the punch from the bass strings, which are the same as the mediums.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm an oddball - Earthwood 80/20 Extra Lights. Right now, I am loving their playability, bending ease, etc.

walrus

InvisibleWren

Reaction score
Guild Total
Recently switched from D'Addario Phosphor Bronze mediums (EJ17) to Bluegrass (EJ19.) The top 3 strings are slightly lighter so I'm finding them easier to play, but I can still get the punch from the bass strings, which are the same as the mediums.

Yeah, I'd probably stick with Dunlops if they made a Bluegrass set, but sticking with them means I'd have to buy a set of 12s and a set of 13s every time I change strings. I find that on my D35, 12s don't quite have enough umph on the low end, but that the high end loses its shimmer on the 13s. Might try some D'Addario EJ19s, or possibly DR's Rare set since the 12s have slightly heavier than normal bass strings (the low E is a .54 instead of the pretty standard .52). I could swear I had a set of those laying around somewhere but I haven't found them.

Antney

Reaction score
I use elixir nano pb lights. In fact the set on my d50 are/is about 5 months old and just starting to decay sonically. I think they're the best string for the buck. You put em on and they sound a week old...but they sound that way for 5 months

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
My "go to" strings have always been GHS Bright Bronze. But recently I think I've been swayed by D'Addario EXP 14's!!! SO nice. It's the light and coated version of the 80/20 bluegrass strings with medium bottom and light top strings. NICE!!!

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have D'Addario lights. But prior to that I had the Martin Retro, and I really liked the way they felt. Lost some volume, but the sounds was really mellow and folksy. I'm trying different strings about every other week right now.

I'm thinking about trying to silk and steel. Anyone try any they like?

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've been using D'Addario Phosphor Bronze pretty much since they introduced them in the mid-70s, different gauges on different guitars. I've tried others, but always come back to them. A friend really likes DR strings, so I may give them a shot when I run out of what I have on hand.
Brad

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Silk and Steels are real easy on the fingers but they suck a lot of volume and tone out of the guitar you put them on, At least that is my experience with them.

TX

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi , my name is Ray and I’m a stringholic :(
I’ve tried to quit but all my support friends use strings too :(

Earthwoods are best out the box sounding string to me , but don’t last long . Good for a show or recording session then toss’em .

Been through many brands of strings , heck have stacks of them lol

I Find D’Addario and Elixer Nano webs top on the list at the moment.

One pet peeve is squeaky strings meaning the windings ( I think ) are to coarse and slightest slide across then produces the most annoying squeak.

The D’s and Nano webs preform will in the category and have very good tone .

Each guitar is picky about its like in strings so experiment .

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Hello Ray... and welcome to the meeting!

My "go to" string has always been Martin Marquis PB Light gauge. I like the warm tone, and the bridge on my guitars appreciates the silk wrap. Like everyone else, I try out different brands... but always seem to come back to the Martin MQ.

And I pass to the... whistle pig.

Bill

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I put many sets of "Nashville Straights" on my D-25M, until they quit making them. In fact, that's when I switched to D'Addario.

ToJMp6H.jpg

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Earthwoods are best out the box sounding string to me , but don’t last long . Good for a show or recording session then toss’em

Agreed - I change them every month, simply because I love the sound and feel of new strings!

.10's - .46 on all acoustics. Usually Elixir Nanos or D'Addario EXP's.

Ah, a man of similar tastes! The Earthwood Extra Lights I use are .10 - .50. Slightly heavier bottom end strings. On my electrics, I've always used D'addario XL110W, .10 - .46 (wound third). I like the "similar" feel on both guitars.

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, where is the obligatory and periodic gopher photo? It's not really a string thread until he shows his face!

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking about trying to silk and steel. Anyone try any they like?
A very nice string choice... either silk and steel or better yet, silk and bronze. GHS makes a really good version of both!! I love the Silk & Bronze in the GHS version. They're also a tiny bit lower tension if you have or worry about the strain on the neck.

Last edited: