The Obligatory and Periodic What Strings are You Using Thread

jedzep

Reaction score
I finally have it figured out, for me anyway. All small bod...30's era Gibson L00 and L0 get the Dunlop 80/20's 13's, '61 Martin 00018 gets the Thomastik-Infeld 13's, Spectrum or Plectrum, and the brighter sounding '68 F20 uses the 6 month old strings removed from the Martin. Perfect! All tuned down D - D, which gives me a better vocal range and easier fretting.

Sweetwater free ships me the Dunlops 4 sets at a time for about $3.79 a set, and I get a 'free' ride on the re-used T-I's that cost around 20 bucks.

All set now. No more hair pulling. Ain't much left to pull.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice choices, guys.

Yeah, jedzep, I was going to recommend the Spectrum strings for anybody who's trying out different string sets and wants to hear a truly unique sound. Personally, the Spectrum strings weren't my cup of tea, but they're a must if you're "doing the rounds" and trying stuff.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey Chaz, did you find the T-I's too quiet or 'soft' sounding?

I used a set on an F-50R that I bought from fellow LTG member "frosty." He likes those strings, and I tried a set on that guitar. I liked 'em too, but, yeah, I'd say I agree with that characterization. I am a finger picker, but as I mostly just arpeggiate chords, I did find them a bit quiet and muted. Frosty is one of the best players I've ever met, and that's why I always say "to each his own" when we have these string discussions. For me, variety is the spice of life.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Charlie...... don't see 'nuff of Frosty these days, ya know? Although I did look up a couple of his videos just to show someone how it's done..... :encouragement:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Wow, Charlie...... don't see 'nuff of Frosty these days, ya know? Although I did look up a couple of his videos just to show someone how it's done..... :encouragement:

Who’s Frosty ? Any vid links love to watch one :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I been recently into Martin strings. While I have not landed on a particular Martin string yet, there are so many freakin options, I do like their phosphor bronze alloy, nice and gritty sounding. Thinking of trying out Retro medium gauge next (tony rice) or the SP PB light meds. Even their cheap phosphor bronzes sound great on the Guild. Shoreline music has great prices and always free shipping.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'm here to help!

latest

And I'm hunting gophers...

geoguy

Reaction score
IIRC, Frosty played with fingerpicks (Alaska piks, they might have been called?) . . . perhaps they made up for those soft/quiet TI Spectrum strings.

I prefer D'Addario phosphor bronze, usually the coated EXP variety. Mostly light gauge, but mediums on a couple guitars that seem to need a little extra tension to drive the top.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Geo, that's right. Frosty is a master of clawhammer technique and (I think) other fingerpick techniques. I just use my finger tips and am a master of absolutely nothing except hot air. :)

Honestly, I don't want to put words in his mouth, I think he just really liked those strings. They do last a very long time, and he told me at one point that he likes the played in sound and feel.