sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Nothing to see here...move along. ;)

Last edited:

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate--and their ego cannot stand not to have a big name guitar when someone ask, "what do you play? It creates a "warm fuzzy" for them. If you can "Really" play, you can make a $200 guitar make the listener's jaw drop and if you cannot play, the most expensive of any brand will not conjur up one positive remark from the listener. My .02 worth.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate--and their ego cannot stand not to have a big name guitar when someone ask, "what do you play? It creates a "warm fuzzy" for them. If you can "Really" play, you can make a $200 guitar make the listener's jaw drop and if you cannot play, the most expensive of any brand will not conjur up one positive remark from the listener. My .02 worth.

This is true but I am also of the belief that a nicer guitar or maybe even a high end guitar will make someone a better player. The reason being is they love the guitar so much that they want to pick it up and play more. This leads to learning how to play new things and kind of opens up the creative path of learning to get better at playing. The other major contributor to wanting to play a higher end or high quality guitar more and more (which leads to better playing skills) is that overall they stay in tune better, most of the time they play a lot easier on the fingers due to proper geometry, have proper intonation up and down the neck so notes don't sound sharp or flat, and tend to last a lot longer before needing major work than most cheaper guitars.

Most of the $200 guitars you find on the market won't hold tune properly, are hell on the fingers which can turn a newbie off from playing guitar almost instantly, Have bad intonation due to mass production & little QC, and warp or fall apart within the first year of having them. If a guitar hurts some one who is trying to play it, when they do play it doesn't sound like it is supposed to due to bad intonation and geometry, and all around sounds/plays/feels like junk then I feel people are more inclined to treat it like junk. Honestly how many folks do you see out there playing First Act or Esteban guitars?

Am I saying that someone who is just learning to play needs to go out and drop $2500 on a High end Model? No. But I do think they should research different models and not be afraid to spend more than $200 on a guitar that is built right with correct geometry so they can comfortably enjoy learning how to play guitar if they are serious about learning. Just an opinion as always.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
or a nicer guitar can make someone want to play more, as they like the sound more and more they are producing, and more practice and more playing makes one better.
now, i bought a really nice guitar only to eventually prefer the way cheaper guitar currently in our acoustic quiver, just cause i like the sound better of my Guild most days. now the Guild is harder to play...but i grin and bare it.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate

No judging issue here 😁. I just plain stink lol but I love what I do and try to do a little better on each new song . 😉

Now where’s that new F50 R at ?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
No judging issue here ��. I just plain stink lol but I love what I do and try to do a little better on each new song . ��

Now where’s that new F50 R at ?

Ray, you play great bud!

PittPastor

Reaction score
I'm also guilty, but I have a few people fooled.

A show I had a love-hate relationship was "Nashville." When it focused on the singer songwriting, I really enjoyed it. Then it veered off into the soapbox stuff and I was out. But there was this one bit I really liked where there was this ritual between Luke Wheeler and Deacon Claybourne, (in the fictional land of Nashville) two legends of Country -- right before they hit the stage they look at each other and say: "Well, let's see if we can go fool them again."

That felt like something that someone somewhere says to their bandmate every time they play...

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A right before they hit the stage they look at each other and say: "Well, let's see if we can go fool them again."

That felt like something that someone somewhere says to their bandmate every time they play...

I like that. Humility rocks!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I agree with you guys on "getting a better guitar makes you play more".

But a quick story - I had a Sears electric guitar as a teenager - total crap - and a friend of mine, who at 17 was a great guitarist, came over my house. He picked it up, tuned it, and played some of "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes". I will always remember that!

walrus

kostask

Reaction score
I attended a flat picking class with Dan Crary a number of years ago. Interesting guy (he was a Taylor endorser at the time). Told a story about playing at a show, and was on a break between sets. Guy comes up to him and said that the guitar sounded great. He took the guitar and put it on table, sound hole up, and asked "how's it sound now". Point taken.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I attended a flat picking class with Dan Crary a number of years ago. Interesting guy (he was a Taylor endorser at the time). Told a story about playing at a show, and was on a break between sets. Guy comes up to him and said that the guitar sounded great. He took the guitar and put it on table, sound hole up, and asked "how's it sound now". Point taken.

Damn! Seems like a harmless well meaning if not worded well compliment to Crary. Yeesh, we are all super impressed down here, Dan...

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree with you guys on "getting a better guitar makes you play more"
walrus

Yeah then after that wears off we just buy more guitars just because their different , then after that we realize that our first new better Guitar was really good so thennnn to make sure we’re not nuts we buy a few more guitars just to make sure , thennnnnnn we sell some because we have to many , thennnnnnnnnnnn we come the realization that we really liked some those guitars we sold and sulk , not because we sold them ( a hind site thing ) but because we realize ( yup that word again ) we’re low on guitars , thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn we buy some more . 😁

PittPastor

Reaction score
Damn! Seems like a harmless well meaning if not worded well compliment to Crary. Yeesh, we are all super impressed down here, Dan...

Only thing that would make that story better would be if the guy was Phil Kaeggy and he picked the guitar up and said: "Well, let's see..." and started playing.

One of my favorite stories is of a guy who survives the Johnstown flood. You'd probably have to be from PA to really understand that, but the Johnstown flood about wiped out the city when the dam broke. Being one of the few survivors, he is asked time and time again to tell the story of how he survived. This guy ends up living a long life, and he gets really good at telling the story (which grew better every year.) It became one of the greatest things in his life, retelling that story.

Well, eventually the ol' boy dies and he goes to heaven. Peter meets him at the gate and explains that there are no pleasures of the flesh allowed in heaven, so they give everyone a chance to experience their favorite moment one more time before entering. The guy says: "I'd like to tell a crowd the story of how I survived the Johnstown flood."

Peter says, well, an unusual request, but he sets it up. They have this huge outdoor stadium and invite everyone in heaven to the event. Place is packed. And on stage is a single microphone. Guy can't wait to get started. Peter goes out to introduce him:

"And now a special entertainment. Bob Smith would like to share a story of an experience he had on earth." It's heaven, so everyone gives a polite applause. Bob walks to the center of the stage. And just before he steps up, Peter covers the mic and says to him:

"Just thought I would give you a heads up... Noah's in the crowd..."

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
PittPastor
I love that story. U Da Man

Ditto.

If you just throw out unplayable pieces of junk from consideration, I am happy with the following:

A good player will sound good regardless of the instrument.

A bad player won't sound worse on a good instrument and may sound better.

An instrument that is "better than the player" or just a joy to play will often inspire the player to play more and thereby improve.

There are bargains out there from people who "over bought" and realize they are never going to "grow into" the instrument.

crank

Reaction score

What a dick.