Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In Danger of Spilling the Secret

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    A right before they hit the stage they look at each other and say: "Well, let's see if we can go fool them again."

That felt like something that someone somewhere says to their bandmate every time they play...
    I like that. Humility rocks!
    Wood

1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

"i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "holy grail" guitar"--mav

"always confront the load facing it directly"--nuuska

I agree with you guys on "getting a better guitar makes you play more".

But a quick story - I had a Sears electric guitar as a teenager - total crap - and a friend of mine, who at 17 was a great guitarist, came over my house. He picked it up, tuned it, and played some of "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes". I will always remember that!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

I attended a flat picking class with Dan Crary a number of years ago. Interesting guy (he was a Taylor endorser at the time). Told a story about playing at a show, and was on a break between sets. Guy comes up to him and said that the guitar sounded great. He took the guitar and put it on table, sound hole up, and asked "how's it sound now". Point taken.
    1996 DV-6
    2005 GAD 30R

Quote Originally Posted by kostask View Post
    I attended a flat picking class with Dan Crary a number of years ago. Interesting guy (he was a Taylor endorser at the time). Told a story about playing at a show, and was on a break between sets. Guy comes up to him and said that the guitar sounded great. He took the guitar and put it on table, sound hole up, and asked "how's it sound now". Point taken.
    Damn! Seems like a harmless well meaning if not worded well compliment to Crary. Yeesh, we are all super impressed down here, Dan...
    Wood

1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

"i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "holy grail" guitar"--mav

"always confront the load facing it directly"--nuuska

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    I agree with you guys on "getting a better guitar makes you play more"
    walrus
    Yeah then after that wears off we just buy more guitars just because their different , then after that we realize that our first new better Guitar was really good so thennnn to make sure we’re not nuts we buy a few more guitars just to make sure , thennnnnnn we sell some because we have to many , thennnnnnnnnnnn we come the realization that we really liked some those guitars we sold and sulk , not because we sold them ( a hind site thing ) but because we realize ( yup that word again ) we’re low on guitars , thennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn we buy some more . 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    Damn! Seems like a harmless well meaning if not worded well compliment to Crary. Yeesh, we are all super impressed down here, Dan...
    Only thing that would make that story better would be if the guy was Phil Kaeggy and he picked the guitar up and said: "Well, let's see..." and started playing.

One of my favorite stories is of a guy who survives the Johnstown flood. You'd probably have to be from PA to really understand that, but the Johnstown flood about wiped out the city when the dam broke. Being one of the few survivors, he is asked time and time again to tell the story of how he survived. This guy ends up living a long life, and he gets really good at telling the story (which grew better every year.) It became one of the greatest things in his life, retelling that story.

Well, eventually the ol' boy dies and he goes to heaven. Peter meets him at the gate and explains that there are no pleasures of the flesh allowed in heaven, so they give everyone a chance to experience their favorite moment one more time before entering. The guy says: "I'd like to tell a crowd the story of how I survived the Johnstown flood."

Peter says, well, an unusual request, but he sets it up. They have this huge outdoor stadium and invite everyone in heaven to the event. Place is packed. And on stage is a single microphone. Guy can't wait to get started. Peter goes out to introduce him:

"And now a special entertainment. Bob Smith would like to share a story of an experience he had on earth." It's heaven, so everyone gives a polite applause. Bob walks to the center of the stage. And just before he steps up, Peter covers the mic and says to him:

"Just thought I would give you a heads up... Noah's in the crowd..."
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    1978 Guild Mark II Classical

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)

PittPastor
    I love that story. U Da Man
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    PittPastor
    I love that story. U Da Man
    Ditto.

If you just throw out unplayable pieces of junk from consideration, I am happy with the following:

A good player will sound good regardless of the instrument.

A bad player won't sound worse on a good instrument and may sound better.

An instrument that is "better than the player" or just a joy to play will often inspire the player to play more and thereby improve.

There are bargains out there from people who "over bought" and realize they are never going to "grow into" the instrument.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Quote Originally Posted by kostask View Post
    What a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by crank View Post
    What a dick.
    Quote of the day! :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655