Joe
    "Just give me one extra season, so I can figure out the other four."

Westerly:
    '75 D35
    '76 F112-6
    '94 D4-12

Other:
    Seagull S6

Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate--and their ego cannot stand not to have a big name guitar when someone ask, "what do you play? It creates a "warm fuzzy" for them. If you can "Really" play, you can make a $200 guitar make the listener's jaw drop and if you cannot play, the most expensive of any brand will not conjur up one positive remark from the listener. My .02 worth.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

Quote Originally Posted by Stuball48 View Post
    Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate--and their ego cannot stand not to have a big name guitar when someone ask, "what do you play? It creates a "warm fuzzy" for them. If you can "Really" play, you can make a $200 guitar make the listener's jaw drop and if you cannot play, the most expensive of any brand will not conjur up one positive remark from the listener. My .02 worth.
    This is true but I am also of the belief that a nicer guitar or maybe even a high end guitar will make someone a better player. The reason being is they love the guitar so much that they want to pick it up and play more. This leads to learning how to play new things and kind of opens up the creative path of learning to get better at playing. The other major contributor to wanting to play a higher end or high quality guitar more and more (which leads to better playing skills) is that overall they stay in tune better, most of the time they play a lot easier on the fingers due to proper geometry, have proper intonation up and down the neck so notes don't sound sharp or flat, and tend to last a lot longer before needing major work than most cheaper guitars.

Most of the $200 guitars you find on the market won't hold tune properly, are hell on the fingers which can turn a newbie off from playing guitar almost instantly, Have bad intonation due to mass production & little QC, and warp or fall apart within the first year of having them. If a guitar hurts some one who is trying to play it, when they do play it doesn't sound like it is supposed to due to bad intonation and geometry, and all around sounds/plays/feels like junk then I feel people are more inclined to treat it like junk. Honestly how many folks do you see out there playing First Act or Esteban guitars?

Am I saying that someone who is just learning to play needs to go out and drop $2500 on a High end Model? No. But I do think they should research different models and not be afraid to spend more than $200 on a guitar that is built right with correct geometry so they can comfortably enjoy learning how to play guitar if they are serious about learning. Just an opinion as always.

TX
    Guilds
    Hoboken-1960 X175, 1961 SF-II
    Westerly-1971 F612, 1976 G41, 2000 SF-V, 1984 S284, 1993 JF100-NT-CRV
    Nashville C.S. SFIV-3 P90 w/Trem
    Corona-2003 Fleming F47-Brz RW, 2003 D55 50th Ann. Brz RW#10 of 50, 2003 X160 R.B., 2003 SF-III-90
    Conn-2011 GSR D50 Coco, 2013 R30S, 2013 Orph 12 Fret Slope, 2013 Orph Jumbo, 2014 Orph Burst 000-12 Fret 12 String S.H. RW, 2012 F50-DTAR, 2012 F50R Burst, 2012 F50R DTAR, 2013 F512 Burst, 2014 F512-DTAR, 2014 D55-RS

Amps
    70 T-bird 2x12
    93 Sequoia

or a nicer guitar can make someone want to play more, as they like the sound more and more they are producing, and more practice and more playing makes one better.
    now, i bought a really nice guitar only to eventually prefer the way cheaper guitar currently in our acoustic quiver, just cause i like the sound better of my Guild most days. now the Guild is harder to play...but i grin and bare it.
    Wood

1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

"i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "holy grail" guitar"--mav

"always confront the load facing it directly"--nuuska

TX
    Your points are well taken and I agree.
    1962 Epiphone Century Cherry Hollow Body Arch Top E422T
    1993 Guild DV52 NT
    2003 Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500 MANNH

Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate
    No judging issue here 😁. I just plain stink lol but I love what I do and try to do a little better on each new song . 😉

Now where’s that new F50 R at ?

Some folks have trouble judging their own ability to play--most over rate

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    No judging issue here ��. I just plain stink lol but I love what I do and try to do a little better on each new song . ��

I'm also guilty, but I have a few people fooled.
    1978 Guild D-40
    1998 Vagabond Travel Guitar http://www.stringsmith.com
    2015 Guild OM-140CE Sunburst Westerly Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    No judging issue here ��. I just plain stink lol but I love what I do and try to do a little better on each new song . ��

Ray, you play great bud!
    Wood

1971 D25 Br--ol' Flattop
    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

"i think that you are the only one i know of that considers the 1973-1974 mahogany top/arch back D-25 a "holy grail" guitar"--mav

"always confront the load facing it directly"--nuuska

Quote Originally Posted by guild-1979-d40 View Post
    I'm also guilty, but I have a few people fooled.
    A show I had a love-hate relationship was "Nashville." When it focused on the singer songwriting, I really enjoyed it. Then it veered off into the soapbox stuff and I was out. But there was this one bit I really liked where there was this ritual between Luke Wheeler and Deacon Claybourne, (in the fictional land of Nashville) two legends of Country -- right before they hit the stage they look at each other and say: "Well, let's see if we can go fool them again."

That felt like something that someone somewhere says to their bandmate every time they play...
    ----------------------------------
    1980 Guild D40C Sunburst
    1978 Guild Mark II Classical

Soundcloud - Cat's In The Crade (D40C)