1971 F30 restoration

bobouz

Reaction score
An excellent project, and one that will hopefully be very satisfying.

I have a '73 F-30R (rosewood), which is a very different animal, as the body shape was changed to a more jumbo shape (as opposed to a Martinish OOO shape). But regardless of shape, small-bodied guitars with a big sound can be sooooo sweet.

Note that some bellying of the bridge area is okay, and in fact many guitars are designed to have a bit of a belly from day one. If the neck angle is adequate in allowing you to get the action where you'd like to have it, you're in business.

Best of luck with your restoration, and welcome to the LTG forum!

Reaction score
Thanks Bobouz. I'm not sure how much belly to leave in. The guitar bridge needs to go down nearly 3/16 to correct the neck angle problem. I doubt I'll fix that in the belly.

MLBob

Reaction score
Neat project, and cool that you're documenting as you go. Please keep us up to date on progress or links as things progress.

Bob

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome!
If you end up needing a bridge, there should be more options available than the one you mentioned. Hans Moust, or others, may have a vintage one that will match, if the current offerings from Guild's store don't work.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Hello all. I just joined this forum. I've started restoration on a 1971 F-30. Here are the notes (including discussion of whether to buy the F30) from the AGF: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=486704

I was just reading this earlier today on AGF. I will be very interested to see how this turns out for you. I was curious, tho, I didn't see ... what made you decide to go for the Guild restore rather than buying a new Eastman? Did you ever have experience with Guitar repair? Why the Guild? Just chance or is there some other connection?

Sorry for the 20 questions! I just love to know what makes people take on something like this?

Reaction score
PittPastor-

Regarding the old Guild vs a new Eastman, I listened to everything I could find on the web for modern Eastmans and Guild F-30s. My conclusion was that I'd love one of the higher end Eastman guitars, but those in my price range sounded a bit thin to my ear. Regarding Guild, this Guild was the most viable fixer within driving range of Taos. I have an 80's Guild D212 that needed a lot of work. I hired out a neck reset, then a luthier friend in Maine built a new bridge saddle. With that change, it was like the D212 "woke up". The action is still too high on that D212, so I'm planning to flatten the significant belly on the 12 string before i resell the Belly Reducer caul set.

I grew up near Duluth. Once in the early 80's, I was able to visit the Podium guitar store in Dinkytown, near the UofM main campus. I tried an old Guild flat top 6 string, and it blew me away. I couldn't afford the $600 or $800 that the guitar cost then, but I didn't forget the full mellow voice of that guitar. That memory pushed me over the line on my decision.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the forum and the vintage F-30 club, takodabut. Sounds like a great project you got going and best of luck. Keep us posted on the progress.

It is my understanding, that a little belly in the bridge area is actually a good thing as it adds to the tone in a positive way.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome Tako enjoy your bonding with the F30 .
I love to take things apart and fix’em up but most times theres left over parts , I don’t get it it’s like digging a hole even though you put back all the dirt that came out it’s never enough fill it back up . Yeah Weird I know .

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum, takodabut.
I was the person that suggested that you come here.
Please keep up posted on the project.
We love to see old Guilds getting new lives.

swiveltung

Reaction score
So, how does the "belly reducer" work? I understand the clamping, but what continues to hold the top flat once you are done?

CosmicArkie

Reaction score
After the steaming and clamping, the top/braces will remain in their "proper" location/shaping. Sort of like the sides. They don't straighten out, either.