Bridge Over Soothing Waters.....

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
A photo I took the other day morning near my home right after a fresh snow fall....

psgHiQB.jpg
[/IMG]

Why would I post this photo in a guitar forum, you ask?

Well, I relate the making of this black & white image to much like my playing of the acoustic guitar. It's about the range of tones, from lows (black) to highs (white) and all the tones in between. Softness, sharpness, textures and areas of interest.

My favorite part when I first got into film still photography way back when, was working in the darkroom trying to make a b&w image the best that you could via dodging, burning and various other techniques. Much like working on playing a tune on the guitar. Not perfect and never will be, but I have fun trying. :peaceful:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, Terry, that's eff'n BEAUTIFUL!!! Thanks for sharing and keep snapping those photos!! What an idyllic scene..... it looks QUIET to me.....

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Being in Michigan, that reminds me of a lot of places around here! I love the stark blacks & whites of winter.

Looks to be some good fishing there too!

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
I really like that and would hang it up in my home if it were mine. Thanks for sharing your art. Jon

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you, fellow LTGers, for the much appreciated positive feedback!

....and dreadnut, yes the fishing can be quite good (reminds me to get the ice auger ready to go) and I hope you are recovering nicely from your back surgery! :encouragement:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, I relate the making of this black & white image to much like my playing of the acoustic guitar. It's about the range of tones, from lows (black) to highs (white) and all the tones in between. Softness, sharpness, textures and areas of interest.

My favorite part when I first got into film still photography way back when, was working in the darkroom trying to make a b&w image the best that you could via dodging, burning and various other techniques. :peaceful:

Why Kubrick was virtually married to B&W for so many years; think about Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangleove, I think both of those work so much better in B&W.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dr. Strangelove, my favorite movie of all time! It was also among the 1st ten American classic films to be protected by Congress against colorization.

"Gentlemen, gentlemen! You can't fight in here, this is the War Room!"

gsM9hwp.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Primarily for Ramp's benefit, in case he never had the pleasure:

bd39ebd43653830cce05f203b5d846d1--michel-douglas-kirk-douglas.jpg

aepathsofglory1jpeg.gif

d9e30907cd5c13bc9481493df2de2f4b.jpg

Shots like these from Paths of Glory make it even more of a pleasure to the eye than color would.

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking the original photo posted here by rampside is actually shot in color.

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking the original photo posted here by rampside is actually shot in color.

You are correct, dreadnut! Although it's a beautiful scene and I did like the interest from the little bits of color, but the light was very flat that day, so in color, I just couldn't get the punch that I was seeing at the time, without losing the realistic feel. The image is about the tones, which worked quite nicely with B&W.