Replacing tuning machines on a vintage Starfire

planetguy

Reaction score
I need some recommendations for tuning machine replacements for my '67 STARFIRE. Would love to find something nickel but i suspect i'll have to go with chrome. no biggie.

Two sets i've been looking at are the GROVER Titan 145C (have a set of Titans on an old P bass and have been very happy w them). I've also been looking at a Gotoh GB707 set (a more modern lighter weight tuner).

Can someone tell me the shaft size i need?

And any thoughts, opinions, recs are most welcome!!!

Thanks, all.

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
My vague recollection is that you want the smaller shaft size.

But PLEASE wait for more informed members to post.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
never replaced tuners. i do recall some discussion of options that made the instrument neck dive so if more than one size fits, go for the lighter ones.

planetguy

Reaction score
My vague recollection is that you want the smaller shaft size.

But PLEASE wait for more informed members to post.

thanks for the replies, guys.

so, by "smaller size" ...are we talking 9/16"?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When replacing tuners, the more important question is what size ferrule will you need; I.e., what size is the hole do you have. The only way to find that out is to take a tuner off and measure from the underside. While it's off, you can measure the shaft size. If the new tuners have the same shaft, you can reuse the ferrules you already have (unless the new ones need to screw the ferrule into the bottom of the tuner.
All tuners will come with their own ferrules. If they fit the hole, then you can just use the new stuff, regardless of what's there.

Hopefully that doesn't cloud the issue up too much.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This should help. Basically, you should measure your shafts and get one that will have the same shaft to reuse the bushing.

lungimsam

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hipshot Ultralites in nickel

wisconsindead

Reaction score
I put hipshot ultralites in mine. I needed to make the holes slightly larger to fit. I don't think Hipshot makes the size that drops in. I don't recall the sizes I used/size of the hole in the headstock.

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
I've replaced tuners a couple of times. Grover used to supply a sketch of all of the relevant dimensions. There's nothing to it as long as the screw holes match. Seems like the collars were a little snug, as well as the posts going through the headstock, but it was just a good, tight fit and required very little force to remove the old posts.

West

edwin

Reaction score
I put Hipshot Ultralights in nickel in mine. I had Schaller minis in there before that. Both a good upgrade from the originals. Love the Ultralights.