Anyone here playing Bach on your Guild bass?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
'Bach is dead.' Bomp. Bomp. Bomp.

Welcome. Perhaps you would care to elaborate? Jaco is dead as well and yet people still continue to learn from studying and playing his music. Better yet, tell us about your Guild experiences. ;-)

Haroldo

Reaction score
Welcome. Perhaps you would care to elaborate? Jaco is dead as well and yet people still continue to learn from studying and playing his music. Better yet, tell us about your Guild experiences. ;-)
Thank you. Not a comment on the Master's music, but rather an opportunity to quote the Residents' lively tune of that name. Highly recommended.

Haroldo

Reaction score
My Guild experiences are vicarious, as Mr Face can attest. I have lusted after these basses and have mightily enjoyed Mr Lesh's playing since the late '60s.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thank you. Not a comment on the Master's music, but rather an opportunity to quote the Residents' lively tune of that name. Highly recommended.

The Residents are not part of my pop culture so your comment had no context for me and came across as that of a Troll. Since I am not always right, I needed to say something that gave you the benefit of the doubt, just in case you weren't a Troll. I guess I need to add the Residents to the list of things that I don't know about but might enjoy if I did ;-)

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
My Guild experiences are vicarious, as Mr Face can attest. I have lusted after these basses and have mightily enjoyed Mr Lesh's playing since the late '60s.

If your budget can handle it, start with a used Newark Street Starfire I...

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
If your budget can handle it, start with a used Newark Street Starfire I...

I recommended a Newark Street M-85 but the fool bought some sort of Fender-shaped bass instead.

Alas, a fool and his money are soon parted.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I recommended a Newark Street M-85 but the fool bought some sort of Fender-shaped bass instead.

Alas, a fool and his money are soon parted.

Blasphemy.

I do understand that hollow bodied short scale instruments are not some people's cup of tea. But a Guild Pilot, long scale, solid, can give many Fender shaped thingies a run for their money. I called out the Starfire because I think they are easier to find.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Blasphemy.

I do understand that hollow bodied short scale instruments are not some people's cup of tea. But a Guild Pilot, long scale, solid, can give many Fender shaped thingies a run for their money. I called out the Starfire because I think they are easier to find.

He should know better. He owned and played a Jack Casady bass. In fact, he may have laid his meaty paws upon the Darkstared D'A Starfire I bought from Fred Hammond on the Dupepit the night he sold three of them.

Haroldo should come on up and play my M-85 and get spoiled.

Haroldo

Reaction score
He should know better. He owned and played a Jack Casady bass. In fact, he may have laid his meaty paws upon the Darkstared D'A Starfire I bought from Fred Hammond on the Dupepit the night he sold three of them.

Haroldo should come on up and play my M-85 and get spoiled.

Still do play the JC quite regularly. I've also a Darkstarred '59 Precision (ewwww!) reissue, plus a Darkstar just hangin' 'round lookin' for a bass. I have been looking at the Newark St. Starfires with interest, however. Maybe a largish year's end bonus could push me over the edge.....

How are the Guild Bisonics? Would a SFII with one Guild and one Darkstar be a match made in sonic heaven?

Mr. Face, thank you for the invitation to shuffle on up to Portland and get spoiled. I am starting to re-engage with this world, so you might see me on your quasi-brownstone's door step with bass case in hand.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Still do play the JC quite regularly. I've also a Darkstarred '59 Precision (ewwww!) reissue, plus a Darkstar just hangin' 'round lookin' for a bass. I have been looking at the Newark St. Starfires with interest, however. Maybe a largish year's end bonus could push me over the edge.....

How are the Guild Bisonics? Would a SFII with one Guild and one Darkstar be a match made in sonic heaven?

Mr. Face, thank you for the invitation to shuffle on up to Portland and get spoiled. I am starting to re-engage with this world, so you might see me on your quasi-brownstone's door step with bass case in hand.

I have a custom solid body that has a Curtis Novak BSDS in it, wired with a coil tap so it approaches either the vintage Bisonic or the Darkstar specs. So I'm ok with a Darkstar in a P bass. And Barry Oakley has set a precedent.

I have pontificated much on the various flavors of Bisonic available to me. I do not think the modern Guild version comes up to the standards of a vintage Bisonic or the Novak but given the differences in availability and price it is worth considering. Solid vs. hollow body and position all influence tone. I'm partial to one PU basses and if I only had one bass and picked it for tone, it would be a '66 Starfire I with (obviously) vintage Bisonic and the "sweet spot" bridge location.

Happy Face

Reaction score

I'll be psyched to see you!

(But, you, of course, know that your favorite amp, the giant Marshall, is gone...)

Haroldo

Reaction score
I have a custom solid body that has a Curtis Novak BSDS in it, wired with a coil tap so it approaches either the vintage Bisonic or the Darkstar specs. So I'm ok with a Darkstar in a P bass. And Barry Oakley has set a precedent.

I have pontificated much on the various flavors of Bisonic available to me. I do not think the modern Guild version comes up to the standards of a vintage Bisonic or the Novak but given the differences in availability and price it is worth considering. Solid vs. hollow body and position all influence tone. I'm partial to one PU basses and if I only had one bass and picked it for tone, it would be a '66 Starfire I with (obviously) vintage Bisonic and the "sweet spot" bridge location.

I've read a number of your pontifications (encyclicals?) on this subject and have learned from them. I'm curious as to why a one pickup bass floats your musical boat. Is it an aural Occam's Razor? I do like monkeying around with 2, myself, but I'm not pick(up)y. Were I to go completely silly (from an economic standpoint) and purchase a SFII, I'd be interested in mixing the Guild and Bisonic pretty much because I have the Dark Star in house. Thanks!

Haroldo

Reaction score
I'll be psyched to see you!

(But, you, of course, know that your favorite amp, the giant Marshall, is gone...)
Alas, this I know. I've always figured it was a result of rupturing all your neighbors' ear drums with the beast and, thus, its work was done. Y'all need to get a Fender 400PS to make your fellow Portlanders quiver and shake and ultimately bow down to egregious bassiness. Happy Holidays and the best to Mz N.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I've read a number of your pontifications (encyclicals?) on this subject and have learned from them. I'm curious as to why a one pickup bass floats your musical boat. Is it an aural Occam's Razor? I do like monkeying around with 2, myself, but I'm not pick(up)y. Were I to go completely silly (from an economic standpoint) and purchase a SFII, I'd be interested in mixing the Guild and Bisonic pretty much because I have the Dark Star in house. Thanks!

Simplicity. I tended to "set it and forget it" on the JS II. While there is a difference between the PUs it pales in comparison to toggling the Deep/Hard switch and that was the driver when I tweaked for tone. Next up was the '67 which I got used and the number of PUs was not a factor. I spend a couple decades neglecting the JS and playing the Starfire and when it came time to expand the stable there was no incentive to get retrained to manage more knobs and switches. That said, I do sometimes blend on the Pilot but more often than not it's one or the other. But it is really just a case of managing complexity by not getting features past experience says I am unlikely to use. I have also swallowed mgod's Kool-Aid and have come to believe that (in my case) right hand technique and position contribute an awful lot to tonal variation.

Happy Face

Reaction score
Frono - that's why it is nice to have a pickup sweep knob. Instant tone changes. That's how my JS-II is set now thanks to the active filter harness.

Haroldo, it sounds sick through the Hiwatt I told you about.