Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Anyone here playing Bach on your Guild bass?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haroldo View Post
    Still do play the JC quite regularly. I've also a Darkstarred '59 Precision (ewwww!) reissue, plus a Darkstar just hangin' 'round lookin' for a bass. I have been looking at the Newark St. Starfires with interest, however. Maybe a largish year's end bonus could push me over the edge.....

How are the Guild Bisonics? Would a SFII with one Guild and one Darkstar be a match made in sonic heaven?

Mr. Face, thank you for the invitation to shuffle on up to Portland and get spoiled. I am starting to re-engage with this world, so you might see me on your quasi-brownstone's door step with bass case in hand.
    I have a custom solid body that has a Curtis Novak BSDS in it, wired with a coil tap so it approaches either the vintage Bisonic or the Darkstar specs. So I'm ok with a Darkstar in a P bass. And Barry Oakley has set a precedent.

I have pontificated much on the various flavors of Bisonic available to me. I do not think the modern Guild version comes up to the standards of a vintage Bisonic or the Novak but given the differences in availability and price it is worth considering. Solid vs. hollow body and position all influence tone. I'm partial to one PU basses and if I only had one bass and picked it for tone, it would be a '66 Starfire I with (obviously) vintage Bisonic and the "sweet spot" bridge location.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Mr. Face, thank you for the invitation to shuffle on up to Portland and get spoiled. I am starting to re-engage with this world, so you might see me on your quasi-brownstone's door step with bass case in hand.
    I'll be psyched to see you!

(But, you, of course, know that your favorite amp, the giant Marshall, is gone...)

Quote Originally Posted by fronobulax View Post
    I have a custom solid body that has a Curtis Novak BSDS in it, wired with a coil tap so it approaches either the vintage Bisonic or the Darkstar specs. So I'm ok with a Darkstar in a P bass. And Barry Oakley has set a precedent.

I have pontificated much on the various flavors of Bisonic available to me. I do not think the modern Guild version comes up to the standards of a vintage Bisonic or the Novak but given the differences in availability and price it is worth considering. Solid vs. hollow body and position all influence tone. I'm partial to one PU basses and if I only had one bass and picked it for tone, it would be a '66 Starfire I with (obviously) vintage Bisonic and the "sweet spot" bridge location.
    I've read a number of your pontifications (encyclicals?) on this subject and have learned from them. I'm curious as to why a one pickup bass floats your musical boat. Is it an aural Occam's Razor? I do like monkeying around with 2, myself, but I'm not pick(up)y. Were I to go completely silly (from an economic standpoint) and purchase a SFII, I'd be interested in mixing the Guild and Bisonic pretty much because I have the Dark Star in house. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Face View Post
    I'll be psyched to see you!

(But, you, of course, know that your favorite amp, the giant Marshall, is gone...)
    Alas, this I know. I've always figured it was a result of rupturing all your neighbors' ear drums with the beast and, thus, its work was done. Y'all need to get a Fender 400PS to make your fellow Portlanders quiver and shake and ultimately bow down to egregious bassiness. Happy Holidays and the best to Mz N.

Blog Entries
    I've read a number of your pontifications (encyclicals?) on this subject and have learned from them. I'm curious as to why a one pickup bass floats your musical boat. Is it an aural Occam's Razor? I do like monkeying around with 2, myself, but I'm not pick(up)y. Were I to go completely silly (from an economic standpoint) and purchase a SFII, I'd be interested in mixing the Guild and Bisonic pretty much because I have the Dark Star in house. Thanks!
    Simplicity. I tended to "set it and forget it" on the JS II. While there is a difference between the PUs it pales in comparison to toggling the Deep/Hard switch and that was the driver when I tweaked for tone. Next up was the '67 which I got used and the number of PUs was not a factor. I spend a couple decades neglecting the JS and playing the Starfire and when it came time to expand the stable there was no incentive to get retrained to manage more knobs and switches. That said, I do sometimes blend on the Pilot but more often than not it's one or the other. But it is really just a case of managing complexity by not getting features past experience says I am unlikely to use. I have also swallowed mgod's Kool-Aid and have come to believe that (in my case) right hand technique and position contribute an awful lot to tonal variation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mgod View Post
    What he said.

'67 Starfire I Bass (Cherry)
    '71 JS II Bass (Walnut)
    '82 B-50 Acoustic Bass (Natural)
    '87 Pilot (Black)
    '13 Newark Street Starfire Bass (Cherry)
    '16 Betts Bass "Walnut Bottom"

LMG I, II, III

This space available.

Frono - that's why it is nice to have a pickup sweep knob. Instant tone changes. That's how my JS-II is set now thanks to the active filter harness.

Haroldo, it sounds sick through the Hiwatt I told you about.