Please help dating a Guild X160 Rockabilly guitar

alsendk

Reaction score
Hi I am Allan, from Copenhagen Denmark

I`m very new here, and haven`t yet found out how to post a picture, but case is;

I have bought a Guild X160 with serial number: AK 150603

With a yellow label inside, telling me, Westerly Rhode island

Any help in i dating the beast will be appreciated a lot.

Allan

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Allan,
I had just dealt with a Rockabilly dating a few weeks ago; Hans Moust is the only reliable source for these late Westerly builds. From the serial number, which is a few hundred later than the one I was asking about, it should be from 1999, maybe 2000.

As as far as posting pics, you will need to host them in an external site like Imgur, then link to them here.

alsendk

Reaction score
th_1-20171029_145618_zpse5vxxulg.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

alsendk

Reaction score
Thank you, Neonmoony. Your date goes exactly with a date I got from Hans. 2000 is the birthday for my X160 then.

matsickma

Reaction score
From the looks of the picture that X160 in Copenhagen had the reissued DeArmond model 2000 pickups replaced with Franz or P90's.

It has been many years since I was in Denmark. Spent a little over three weeks working their in September 1984. When I wasn't spending late nights at the bars in the down town cobble stone "walking streets" drinking Tuborg Gold and Carlsburg Elephant beer I was working on a small island with topless beaches. The hootin-n-hollorin by the guys I was traveling with from Texas made it difficult to be inconspicuous as required by the job!
The folklore of the island was the beach sand was so fine grain that Napoleon required all his ink blotters be made using that sand.
M

alsendk

Reaction score
Matsickma ... I can read, between the lines that you have had quite a trip to my little, small country. Sadly time has changed. Not so many females lay topless in the sand anymore, but Elephant beer never cease to have a humerous effect - if having enough, so we have to settle with that.

Previous owner - a very skilled Rockabilly guitarist, did switch the 2000`s to a pair of P90... thread winded by a danish Luthier, to satisfy his need for twang. So I don`t really know if they sound different from a pair of say - Seymour Duncan. But they actually sound fantastic. The neck pickup is wired to load 8,76 Kohm, so it might not be that far from an ordinary P90 - sound wise. Andre`s aim was to get the sound of Scotty Moore. But in the end he went back to his old friend, the Fender tele. Some people just don`t know how to appreciate a good guitar when they find it :chargrined:

matsickma

Reaction score
A little side story from my trip to Denmark in the 80's...

The bars stayed open pretty late...maybe to 4am. I went out late and so was still out till early morning. The oval shaped bar was full and the place was packed. Everyone socializing.
As I look around the place I notice three people looking my way and chuckling...two guys and a gal.
This went on for a little while and I was probably drunk enought not to mind. Eventually one of the guys must have felt they were making me uncomfortable.
He came over and apologized saying they weren't laughing at me.
However they said the could tell I was an American and thst I looked like Clark Kent!
So my 6'3" young man athletic build, dark frame glasses and sport jacket fit the stereotype of an American.
Needless to say I was proud to an American. At this time Ronald Regan was president and the Evil Empire was our concern. In Copenhagen their was displays on the street corners in support of America and the young Danish girls loved Madonna.

Loved traveling in those days.
M

alsendk

Reaction score
Mat, in the inner circle of the old Copenhagen, you can take the "death route" meaning 23 bars/pubs, within walking distance ... starting from early afternoon - until early morning, where the first beer joints start to open, with coffe, danish, and the final beer, to go home.
A very interesting journey, where you might fall in love, meet a lot of people, drink and dance, talk and discuss subjects you never even thought existed. I have never been able to go through til morning ever, but it always have been great fun, trying.

To travel is to live(HC Andersen), and I enjoyed a trip to Las Vegas, and New orleans once. Unfortunally it was one year after Kathrina, so not much Jazz in town. Poor people, poor city. Hope it`s back to normal.

In November 89 My band were playing jazz in a club in Berlin, when the people them selves finally did tear down this wall. It was fantastic to be there, to see all those happy people. Thank you Reagan, and Gorbatjov, for letting it happen.

Allan

Last edited:

matsickma

Reaction score
👍👍👌🍻

By the way...the three people that were chuckling at me were Copenhagen police officers that just got off duty!
M

matsickma

Reaction score
That "death route" sounds like a similar area of State College, PA, adjacent town (i.e. across the street) from Penn State University in the 1970's. The town is still a big party town but many of the dive watering holes have long been replaced by parking garages and/or upscale bars and restaurants!

matsickma

Reaction score
In seeing your reference to HC Anderson...is the amusement park that was either built by HC Anderson or built in tribute to him still in the heart if the city? It was a vintage park with many "antique" rides when I visited 30+ years ago. Additionally I assume the "little mermaid" is still up along the waterfront area in area of the government buildings.
My trip came a year after someone sawed the mermaids arm off. I was able to see the weld joint of the attached arm to her body. Never did visit the castles...tours started to early in the morning for me!😉🏭

alsendk

Reaction score
The little Mermaid is still there, but also her head was sawn off once.
Tivoli - close to the Townhall square, is a lovely place to be, especially in the evening, with all the lights on and all.
We are fond of our police. They act kind and fair