D4 code question

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One guesses that Photobucket has caught on to whatever loophole allowed it to work in the first place.

One is probably wrong, but one is still silently cursing them for destroying the internet.

PittPastor

Reaction score
One guesses that Photobucket has caught on to whatever loophole allowed it to work in the first place.
One is probably wrong, but one is still silently cursing them for destroying the internet.

Unfortunately, you're probably right. I tried the add-on posted in the link. No Joy.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think imgur was the LTGers' main recommendation alternative free hosting, but after PB I wouldn't count on it lasting forever either. It's just sad, though, how many internet boards' histories have been buried in the PB ashes, LTG included.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here are my D4 pics, moved over to Imgur. There is a special place reserved in Hades for those Photobucket folks exhibiting a massive case of cranial-rectal inversion.

The several weeks the D4 spent in my office, hiding out, has me convinced I really, really, REALLY need an office guitar.

Xmas morning:

gJD9Te2.jpg

Hiding out in the office:

1TKNaWP.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Mine was clearly polyurethane not nitro.

No such animal.
Suspect you're thinking the "HR" finish was poly.
With only one exception I can remember Hans pointing out, all Westerly acoustic guitars were NCL finished.
In fact even the exception was actually an A/E, one of the "DS" or "FS" solid-bodies IIRC.
Westerly did use poly on some of the very late electrics.

Hmm... AZ, was your guitar from Corona (2002 - 2005)? I didn't know they made the D-4 during that era. If it's from Westerly, then I would be surprised if it was a polyurethane finish.
Corona didn't make D4's and they didn't use poly on acoustics either.
Although I wondered about my D40 for a couple of years there because the finish is so thick and glossy compared to my Westerlys.

AZLiberty

Reaction score
Hmm... AZ, was your guitar from Corona (2002 - 2005)? I didn't know they made the D-4 during that era. If it's from Westerly, then I would be surprised if it was a polyurethane finish.

1997 Westerly. It was one of the cost savings measures on that model.
Hand rubbed, satin polyurethane.

I would have liked a D-25-12, but the D-4-12 was what I could afford at the time.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score

I would have liked a D-25-12, but the D-4-12 was what I could afford at the time.
I found my D4-12 in a pawn shop and it's been through hell and back (FedEx broke off the headstock, which I repaired) and it sounds great.
D4/D25....what's in a number? :rugby:

Joe

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Note the D4HG (High Gloss) was only officially introduced in the '97 catalog as it was.
I still don't believe it's polyurethane, I believe it's NCL hand-rubbed or simply not buffed to a gloss even if they called it "satin".
The cost savings was in not having to buff between finish coats or even use the spray booth if it was just a new name for the "HR".
They used the same finish on Corona D25's and those weren't poly either.
Who told you it's polyurethane? ( see my comments in post #25)
I wouldn't believe anybody but Hans or maybe one of the members who worked in Westerly.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Note the D4HG (High Gloss) was only officially introduced in the '97 catalog as it was.
I still don't believe it's polyurethane, I believe it's NCL hand-rubbed or simply not buffed to a gloss even if they called it "satin".
The cost savings was in not having to buff between finish coats or even use the spray booth if it was just a new name for the "HR".
They used the same finish on Corona D25's and those weren't poly either.
Who told you it's polyurethane? ( see my comments in post #25)
I wouldn't believe anybody but Hans or maybe one of the members who worked in Westerly.

Do they get check lines ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Do they get check lines ?

Actually that's a great question.
I don't recall ever hearing of checking on an HR and it might be due to the application process?
Maybe rubbing it on creates a different finish density than spraying several coats of lacquer, one that's more resistant to the normal cause of checking, thermal or stress shock?

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually that's a great question.
I don't recall ever hearing of checking on an HR and it might be due to the application process?
Maybe rubbing it on creates a different finish density than spraying several coats of lacquer, one that's more resistant to the normal cause of checking, thermal or stress shock?

Maybe a better physical bond with the wood so that they move as a unit in response to stress? Maybe thinner, too? I know the finish on my Tacoma-build DV-6 (hand-rubbed satin gel) "feels" thin.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe a better physical bond with the wood so that they move as a unit in response to stress? Maybe thinner, too? I know the finish on my Tacoma-build DV-6 (hand-rubbed satin gel) "feels" thin.

Interesting , from that chip on my cv-1 headstock the finish is pretty thick though the boby has some checks there’s no chips , yet lol hmmm .

I get my HR today maybe noonish I’ll report on that from the pics best I can tell it’s not a thick coat from its looks .

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah if it's thinner it's able to "stretch" a little more easily if it's exposed to "twisting torque" like pressure on the top or heat expansion of the wood.
And maybe working it into the grain by the rubbing instead of it just "sitting" on top from being sprayed.
Anyway, I'm still positive D4's were all NCL whether gloss or HR.
Let's not forget they put "HR" on DV-52's and DV-6's in Westerly, too, and I'm absolutely positive those were NC gel.
Doesn't seem to make sense to start using poly on one model only.
Another "tell" is that the HR finishes start to buff up to near-gloss or even actual gloss in areas of lots of contact like a shirtsleeve against a lower bout, poly simply won't do that, it would retain its original catalyzed surface texture. Once it 's done it's done forever.
AZ, are there any "shiny spots" on the D4-12?
That'll tell you what it really is.

Interesting , from that chip on my cv-1 headstock the finish is pretty thick though the boby has some checks there’s no chips , yet lol hmmm .

I get my HR today maybe noonish I’ll report on that from the pics best I can tell it’s not a thick coat from its looks .

Yeah my Corona D40's pretty darn thick too, but interestingly it's the smoothest and glossiest of all 3.
It's the one thing I always said about it early on, best finish of the bunch, although I used to wonder if it was part of the reason it was a sonic runt as a baby.
It's only just starting to show some of the grain texture underneath the original smoothness, since it spends all of it's non-playing time in the case.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Anyway, I'm still positive D4's were all NCL whether gloss or HR.
Let's not forget they put "HR" on DV-52's and DV-6's in Westerly, too, and I'm absolutely positive those were NC gel.
Doesn't seem to make sense to start using poly on one model only.
Another "tell" is that the HR finishes start to buff up to near-gloss or even actual gloss in areas of lots of contact like a shirtsleeve against a lower bout, poly simply won't do that, it would retain its original catalyzed surface texture. Once it 's done it's done forever.
AZ, are there any "shiny spots" on the D4-12?
That'll tell you what it really is.
Ok after all that, for the sake of balance, I just remembered something else about D4's:
They did a LOT of oddball finishes on those over the years, like it was their test bed model for that stuff, or something they did to increase their appeal as entry-level models..
Anybody remember those odd red and green bursts with the matching pickguards, and the blue and gray bursts, and even a sparkle finish, as well as some genuine 'hog-topped samples?
So I'm now willing to concede that if they did ever try poly on a true flat-top in Westerly, the D4 seems like it would've been the likely candidate.
And I've learned never to say never when it comes to Guild, right?
:biggrin-new: