Does anyone else think Oxnard Guild's are Over Priced?

PittPastor

Reaction score
Be a consensus builder. Buy a used Oxnard Guild!

Ha! That's thinking outside the box! Actually, they have some on Reverb that are mint and about $400 off of the Oxnard price. It's not a bad idea... Does the warranty carry over to the new owner? Anyone know?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Ha! That's thinking outside the box! Actually, they have some on Reverb that are mint and about $400 off of the Oxnard price. It's not a bad idea... Does the warranty carry over to the new owner? Anyone know?

Wow new used all ready ? Yikes !

I only said that so I can get Tom on a rant he was rolling on few posts back ! 😁

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Last I checked Guild warranties were not transferable. That's why used prices are lower :)

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You seem really eager to categorize all the builders and put them in a convenient NICHE for you to process and evaluate. Life is usually not that convenient or that easily categorized. Maybe just be a little more FLUID with your categorization of all these amazing instruments. Evaluate them on their merits and their sound and quality and stop worrying about who is on top of WHOM in the big PILE of guitar manufacturers. Every guitar is worth what you'll pay for it. If it sounds like the best guitar ever, then.... you didn't pay too much did you? And quit worrying about where everyone falls in the BIG PICTURE. That's all I have to say on this over belabored subject. Stay calm..... :very_drunk:

My only acoustic for 33 years now, my D64 still sounds tremendous, and is literally like a part of my body when I play it since I've had it for so long. What is it's value/price? There's no "category" for it. The downside is that every other acoustic I've played feels "off" somehow. .

I know this thread is about acoustics, but I have to agree with Tom here, and I'm going to use my PRS as an example. I spent years searching for the "perfect" electric, and the last few years adding "it must be light weight" to the mix. I went through multiple Guilds, an Epiphone, and a few Gibsons. Why did I avoid PRS? Because it was expensive! But as Tom stated, "Every guitar is worth what you'll pay for it. If it sounds like the best guitar ever, then.... you didn't pay too much did you?".

I still can't believe what I paid - until I play it. Simply perfect for me, the playability, the comfort, the sound plugged and unplugged, the light weight, the look. Awesome. I have no plans to replace it, or look for another electric. It feels like I've had it for years. So I'm not sure about this whole idea of "categories" and "comparisons". It may be fun to talk about (and this thread is definitely entertaining!), but if you don't bond with the guitar, any price is too high. And if you do, and you are smiling whenever you play it, than you might pay more than you think for it.

You could replace the guitar manufacturers in this thread with automobile makers, and it would be a very similar conversation - price vs. quality, name brands, who's ranked higher, etc. But we are talking about a musical instrument...

walrus

PittPastor

Reaction score
I know this thread is about acoustics, but I have to agree with Tom here, and I'm going to use my PRS as an example. I spent years searching for the "perfect" electric, and the last few years adding "it must be light weight" to the mix. I went through multiple Guilds, an Epiphone, and a few Gibsons. Why did I avoid PRS? Because it was expensive! But as Tom stated, "Every guitar is worth what you'll pay for it. If it sounds like the best guitar ever, then.... you didn't pay too much did you?".

I guess that's true if you have limitless disposable income. Sadly, I do not. But, then again, if I could pay whatever a guitar costs, I guess I would be on the "LetsTalkOlsons" forum (is there one of those?)

Since I have a limited amount of money that I can spend on a guitar, there is a "Dollar to Sound" formula that I have to come up with somewhere between my wants, my actual bank account, and my wife's patience.

I think its great that you guys can buy whatever you want, own as many of them as you want, and play them sometimes or never. I wish I were in your category. But... I am not. So I am forced to worry about things like: "Gee I wonder if I can afford that guitar...?"

It's OK, though, in my line of work I routinely run into people saying things like "Gee, I wonder if I can afford that medical lab bill?" or even sometimes "I wonder if I can afford that grocery bill?" So I'm not complaining. But, I do have to worry about the cost of a guitar -- not just whether it makes me feel good when I play it. More's the pity...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Pastor, respectfully, you just made a huge incorrect assumption about me, and you placed me in a "category" I don't fit into!

Just to be clear, as I said in my post above, I have one acoustic, bought 33 years ago, and one electric, bought this year. That's it. My point was that I had been avoiding PRS because they were considered to be "expensive", a "category" of guitars that doesn't work for me either. But this '08 PRS - bought used - was a deal, and it was doable. And I absolutely feel good playing it, why else would I play any guitar at all?

I definitely do not have "limitless disposable income". I definitely cannot "buy whatever I want, own as many of them as I want, and play them sometimes or never." I play only these two guitars, as much as possible.

When you say "I wish I were in your category", you continue with this "categorization" theme that started the thread, but you are using it to describe people - in this particular case, me. And I respectfully disagree - the "category" you placed me in is wildly inappropriate at best.

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not to veer, but saw Coco last night... great story!
Pixar does it again... and if you play guitar, you'll really like this movie!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Ah, one of the downsides of having my kids get older - I miss all these Disney movies when they come out! I will get it on DVD later...

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not to veer, but saw Coco last night... great story!
Pixar does it again... and if you play guitar, you'll really like this movie!

I am a big fan of all the Pixar films as I feel they make them as much for adults as they do for the kids. Probably will wait to see Coco when it comes out on Digital but I am looking forward to it.

There was a Animated film released in 2014 as well called "The Book Of Life" that intertwines some of the same themes. Minolo is a boy who grows up in a small town in Mexico. All he wants to be is a Musician but his family has been Bull Fighters for generations. It really is a good flick with some Awesome music and guitar playing in it as well. If you liked or think you will like "Coco" you ought to check it out. There was some good music from the soundtrack as well including "No Matter Where You Are" by Us The Duo. Here is a link to the video. (Veer Over), LOL.

TX

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cordoba is not known for being a high cost Nylon string guitar. So, I was surprised where they decided to place the Made-In-America Guilds.
Cordoba has guitars at all price levels. If you think they only make cheap guitars you'd be wrong. Their American made Classical and Spanish guitars are well respected and quite highly priced. They are made in Oxnard, CA as well.

Here's an ad for one.... HERE.

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hmmm...i fondle & strum the M-20 my Wife so lovingly gave me when we finally got to our new home after the long drive from palm strings (CA) to Vienna (IL) the start of September last year & i hear those angels sing & i run my fingers over the strings & while i know what she paid, & money is short but still...im believing that the money was well spent.
i love that Guitar & while i cant make the choice between either of my Guilds which is best its wonderful & i’d gladly let her spend it again. So there. ��

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pastor, respectfully, you just made a huge incorrect assumption about me, and you placed me in a "category" I don't fit into!

Just to be clear, as I said in my post above, I have one acoustic, bought 33 years ago, and one electric, bought this year. That's it. My point was that I had been avoiding PRS because they were considered to be "expensive", a "category" of guitars that doesn't work for me either. But this '08 PRS - bought used - was a deal, and it was doable. And I absolutely feel good playing it, why else would I play any guitar at all?

I definitely do not have "limitless disposable income". I definitely cannot "buy whatever I want, own as many of them as I want, and play them sometimes or never." I play only these two guitars, as much as possible.

When you say "I wish I were in your category", you continue with this "categorization" theme that started the thread, but you are using it to describe people - in this particular case, me. And I respectfully disagree - the "category" you placed me in is wildly inappropriate at best.

walrus
I felt terribly categorized as well, walrus. Thanks for the response. I can relate......

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I felt terribly categorized as well, walrus. Thanks for the response. I can relate......

I just feel broke ! But on the other side I luv Pixar and good animations lol

One of favs not Pixar is Titan A.E it has a killer sound track and great animation mixed with computer animation . :) I just a big kid weeeeeeee . Lol

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can I just summarize a few things for everyone? I am rather disappointed by some of the comments and a little bit of bandwagoning in this thread and I want to vent a little bit myself and set the record straight so we can move on happily:

1. The folks on this forum are from ALL walks of life. Seriously. I realize it's been a long time since large groups of us have been able to meet up face-to-face, but my eyes were opened up years ago when we hosted the Let's Meet Guild events in New Hartford and we got a chance to meet each other. If you think you have a bead on any "group" of folks here, I guarantee you're wrong.

2. This incredible diversity is one of the reasons this is a great place to share our passion for Guilds with each other. We moderators have fostered that (and will continue to do that) as best we can by slamming the door on political talk, locker-room talk, or pretty much anything that breaks the community spirit here. This thread is/was contentious to begin with but hasn't broken any obvious rules.

3. Personally, I want to say that the "enabler" talk on this forum is really only intended to be supportive of our passion, and I/we allow it even though it's clearly a bit dangerous. Like life, we all have to assume that each individual can decide what his or her parameters are for bounding their passion. We have people here who have enormous collections, and others who don't have any guitars at all. Some people can afford their passion and some can't, that's extremely personal is my point. I know I've been guilty of some jealousy on occasion and even a few times I've been angered by what one member or another has done to an instrument or during a sale. It's my (and other moderators') expectation that members try to put a positive spin on their thoughts or just stay out of those discussions.

Anyway, let's try to move forward harmoniously, please.

PittPastor

Reaction score

My apologies! I did not mean to offend you by insinuating you were rich! :wink:

Seriously, tho, it is a fair point that we have never met, and I shouldn't make assumptions. My sincere apology for that.

Going back to the statement itself, and taking the people out of it:

Every guitar is worth what you'll pay for it. If it sounds like the best guitar ever, then.... you didn't pay too much did you?

Doesn't it seem to you that this is saying: "You're looking at this all wrong, price doesn't matter... all that matters is the sound."

Here's the fortunate thing for me (and I guess you) - we got our Guilds years ago. I couldn't justify buying my D40C today - if I could find it (which I can't). But somewhere, some young guitar player is having to choose a different new guitar because he can't get his dream guitar like we did.

That makes me a little sad.

Last edited:

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guilds always were less expensive back in the day.

The last new Guild I bought was 1976, LOL.

The last new one I shoulda bought was a Tacoma-built D-50 at Elderly for about $1,500.00, it was piano-like.

Hard to argue with Martin, they've been around since what, 1841? They build quality instruments.

1833, but who's counting?

West

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In summary, "....all that matters is the sound." is definitely one of the points I was trying to make. "You're looking at this all wrong, price doesn't matter..." is not. Price does matter.... a lot to some of us. What many of us fail to say or put into words every time we opine and encourage or enable, is the phrase "in your price range". It gets tedious to shove that in there and since most of us don't know each other's situation, it's up to you to decide how much you can or cannot spend. Your original statement wasn't, "I think this new Oxnard Guild is not worth the price tag they put on it, based on how it sounds, the finish.... etc., etc." It was a broad and sweeping generalization about the brand at this time. That's when things get tricky.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Martin makes some amazing guitars, not all Martins are amazing. And then you can insert any brand you want in the "Martin" spot and repeat that statement. Over and over.

Now I'll stop because chazmo said for us to move on, and he summed up the tone of the thread nicely. So I'm moving on, because at this particular point in my life, that's all I can afford to do. :encouragement: