Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else think Oxnard Guild's are Over Priced?

Quote Originally Posted by PittPastor View Post
    Cordoba is not known for being a high cost Nylon string guitar. So, I was surprised where they decided to place the Made-In-America Guilds.
    Cordoba has guitars at all price levels. If you think they only make cheap guitars you'd be wrong. Their American made Classical and Spanish guitars are well respected and quite highly priced. They are made in Oxnard, CA as well.

Here's an ad for one.... HERE.
    Tom in Vegas

Use the good china. Life itself is the special occasion.

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011
    Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue 4/12/2016
    Washburn EA-20 "Festival Series", 1995

Hmmm...i fondle & strum the M-20 my Wife so lovingly gave me when we finally got to our new home after the long drive from palm strings (CA) to Vienna (IL) the start of September last year & i hear those angels sing & i run my fingers over the strings & while i know what she paid, & money is short but still...im believing that the money was well spent.
    i love that Guitar & while i cant make the choice between either of my Guilds which is best its wonderful & i’d gladly let her spend it again. So there. ��
    2016 M-20 (Eloise)
    2010 F-40 (Abagail)
    Breedlove Pursuit 12 string (unnamed & for sale)
    Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
    https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814
    https://www.facebook.com/kevindn2.

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Pastor, respectfully, you just made a huge incorrect assumption about me, and you placed me in a "category" I don't fit into!

Just to be clear, as I said in my post above, I have one acoustic, bought 33 years ago, and one electric, bought this year. That's it. My point was that I had been avoiding PRS because they were considered to be "expensive", a "category" of guitars that doesn't work for me either. But this '08 PRS - bought used - was a deal, and it was doable. And I absolutely feel good playing it, why else would I play any guitar at all?

I definitely do not have "limitless disposable income". I definitely cannot "buy whatever I want, own as many of them as I want, and play them sometimes or never." I play only these two guitars, as much as possible.

When you say "I wish I were in your category", you continue with this "categorization" theme that started the thread, but you are using it to describe people - in this particular case, me. And I respectfully disagree - the "category" you placed me in is wildly inappropriate at best.

walrus
    I felt terribly categorized as well, walrus. Thanks for the response. I can relate......
    Tom in Vegas

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    I felt terribly categorized as well, walrus. Thanks for the response. I can relate......
    I just feel broke ! But on the other side I luv Pixar and good animations lol

One of favs not Pixar is Titan A.E it has a killer sound track and great animation mixed with computer animation . :) I just a big kid weeeeeeee . Lol

Can I just summarize a few things for everyone? I am rather disappointed by some of the comments and a little bit of bandwagoning in this thread and I want to vent a little bit myself and set the record straight so we can move on happily:

1. The folks on this forum are from ALL walks of life. Seriously. I realize it's been a long time since large groups of us have been able to meet up face-to-face, but my eyes were opened up years ago when we hosted the Let's Meet Guild events in New Hartford and we got a chance to meet each other. If you think you have a bead on any "group" of folks here, I guarantee you're wrong.

2. This incredible diversity is one of the reasons this is a great place to share our passion for Guilds with each other. We moderators have fostered that (and will continue to do that) as best we can by slamming the door on political talk, locker-room talk, or pretty much anything that breaks the community spirit here. This thread is/was contentious to begin with but hasn't broken any obvious rules.

3. Personally, I want to say that the "enabler" talk on this forum is really only intended to be supportive of our passion, and I/we allow it even though it's clearly a bit dangerous. Like life, we all have to assume that each individual can decide what his or her parameters are for bounding their passion. We have people here who have enormous collections, and others who don't have any guitars at all. Some people can afford their passion and some can't, that's extremely personal is my point. I know I've been guilty of some jealousy on occasion and even a few times I've been angered by what one member or another has done to an instrument or during a sale. It's my (and other moderators') expectation that members try to put a positive spin on their thoughts or just stay out of those discussions.

Anyway, let's try to move forward harmoniously, please.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal
    I am going to hang onto this little F-20 and play it as a reminder that life is sometimes rough, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the damage you accrue along the way defines who you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcellis
    Growing old is a bitch.
    Guild 12-strings:
    1978 G-312NT (Westerly) - "Franzz",
    1994 JF-30-12Bld (Westerly),
    2006 F-512 (Tacoma),
    2010 F-212XL STD (New Hartford) - "Connie"
    2014 Orpheum 12 OOO SHRW (New Hartford)

Non-Guild 12s:
    1970 Martin D-12-20
    1980 Ibanez AW-75 (Series I)
    1984 Taylor 655

Well said, chazmo, thanks.

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by Rayk View Post
    I just feel broke !
    LMAO!

walrus
    1984 Guild D64
    2008 PRS Hollowbody Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by walrus View Post
    Pastor, respectfully, you just made a huge incorrect assumption about me, and you placed me in a "category" I don't fit into!
    My apologies! I did not mean to offend you by insinuating you were rich!

Seriously, tho, it is a fair point that we have never met, and I shouldn't make assumptions. My sincere apology for that.

Going back to the statement itself, and taking the people out of it:

Every guitar is worth what you'll pay for it. If it sounds like the best guitar ever, then.... you didn't pay too much did you?
    Doesn't it seem to you that this is saying: "You're looking at this all wrong, price doesn't matter... all that matters is the sound."

Here's the fortunate thing for me (and I guess you) - we got our Guilds years ago. I couldn't justify buying my D40C today - if I could find it (which I can't). But somewhere, some young guitar player is having to choose a different new guitar because he can't get his dream guitar like we did.

That makes me a little sad.
    Last edited by PittPastor; 11-27-2017 at 02:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dreadnut View Post
    Guilds always were less expensive back in the day.

The last new Guild I bought was 1976, LOL.

The last new one I shoulda bought was a Tacoma-built D-50 at Elderly for about $1,500.00, it was piano-like.

Hard to argue with Martin, they've been around since what, 1841? They build quality instruments.
    1833, but who's counting?

West
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... nt=widgets

'79 D25
    '89 JF30 12
    '94 DV72
    '95 DV73
    '98 DV52
    '00 D30
    '01 D55
    '13 Collings CJ

In summary, "....all that matters is the sound." is definitely one of the points I was trying to make. "You're looking at this all wrong, price doesn't matter..." is not. Price does matter.... a lot to some of us. What many of us fail to say or put into words every time we opine and encourage or enable, is the phrase "in your price range". It gets tedious to shove that in there and since most of us don't know each other's situation, it's up to you to decide how much you can or cannot spend. Your original statement wasn't, "I think this new Oxnard Guild is not worth the price tag they put on it, based on how it sounds, the finish.... etc., etc." It was a broad and sweeping generalization about the brand at this time. That's when things get tricky.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. Martin makes some amazing guitars, not all Martins are amazing. And then you can insert any brand you want in the "Martin" spot and repeat that statement. Over and over.

Now I'll stop because chazmo said for us to move on, and he summed up the tone of the thread nicely. So I'm moving on, because at this particular point in my life, that's all I can afford to do.
    Tom in Vegas

Guild D65s, 1994
    Guild DV72, 1994
    Taylor GC8, 2011