My First Good Acoustic---DV52 NT

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
NGD owner and new member as of yesterday 10--23--17. My search for a good acoustic began about 5 months after I bought a 1962 Epiphone E422T - an electric thin hollowbody Cherry archtop from my 90 year old cousin. He bought the Epi new and formed his on band around the Detroit suburbs in the 60s and 70s The Midwestern Pioneers. Great guitar and I wanted a good acoustic to match. Being from Tennessee, I was lead to Gibsons and Martins and Taylors but I wasn't in to buying "tags." An old "tire changer" at a local service station hang out had 4 Martins and I confessed I did not plan on paying more for an acoustic than I did a '66 GTO in '69 to which he replied, "get a Guild." And I googled Guild guitar. Found LTG and was overwhelmed by information from folks who had experience with all kinds of acoustic guitars not just Guilds. So you all convinced me and my budget said a DV52.
I live about 40 miles west of Nashville so the search began. Every city within 200 miles of Nashville had craigslist searched daily. No DV52 (one now in Bessimer, Al). Have a son who lives in Falls Church, Va just outside DC and had a two week stay with his family Oct 9--Oct 24. My search area just got expanded so while there, I checked DC and Baltimore craigslist, daily. On Monday the 16th there it was -- a DV52 in McLean, Va 10 miles from where I was and easy backroad drive--no Beltway. Made the call and when I arrived and went in he had a G41 and DCE-5 hanging on the wall. They were very nice, also, but over priced IMO. I picked up the 1993 DV52 and slowly let the pick fall down the strings on the only 3 chords I knew and looked it over as well as a LTG trained eye had been taught. Made a couple meaningless comments and got out the "rathole" money, paid the man and been smiling ever since.
Sorry about no pictures -- I am doing well to get this on the forum. LTG forum is my new addiction.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
First post and put it in wrong place. Would the moderator move it to "acoustics/acoustics-electricm
Thank you and I will do better.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In wrong spot. Hopefully, the moderator can correct my error and place it in right place. Thanks

sixx

Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Stuball...great story. Guilds are like potato chips...hard to just have the one. :)

If you can get the pics figured out, I'd love to see your acquisition. And welcome to the forum.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats on the DV52 Stu. Great story and detail of your the time leading up to purchase. Welcome to LTG!

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
sixx: I will gladly send you pictures if you have a cell phone and text? Just PM the number.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
Great guitar to begin your Guild addiction, and join the rest of the afflicted.
We're mostly good folks, especially if we get to see pics of newly-acquired Guilds.
:applause:

Enjoy,
Joe

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So you all convinced me and my budget said a DV52.

As I was told when I first joined up, the folks here are always happy to spend other people's money, lol. Well, that's when they're not spending their own, which certainly occurs on occasion. And they're such great occasions! Congratulations on your first Guild! Tremendous guitars!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
An old "tire changer" at a local service station hang out had 4 Martins and I confessed I did not plan on paying more for an acoustic than I did a '66 GTO in '69 to which he replied, "get a Guild."

HI Stuball, welcome aboard!
In my case it was an old high school buddy who uttered the famous words, when I needed to replace a stolen Fender acoustic and was experiencing my own sticker shock at the prices of genuine US-built guitars.....

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Moved it, and welcome.

You might consider hosting pictures somewhere online (I think Imgur is the current recommendation) and then linking to them here. Read this for way more detail on the process.

Next time you visit your son check out Action Music in Falls Church. Good people. Sold us our new Guilds.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks and contacted youngest son about pix. Hopefully later I can get pix up

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Stu. May your Guilds be a lasting, fruitful addiction! :) Martin's are great, though. Maybe someday you'll be in a position to bring 'em both on board. Collecting can be fun, but my advice is to enjoy the journey.

Oh, and definitely let us spend your money. :)

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, Stu! Well if you gotta just have one Guild, that's the one imho.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG Stu.
The DV-52 was my second first good acoustic.... the first first was a D-25 :)

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks for all the nice welcomes and working on pictures--"patience Grasshopper."

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I can see the photos just fine, Stuball!! A DV52 is a SUPER nice guitar! That rosewood is beautiful. Congrats on the new acquisition and on finding LTG. It's a great place!! :encouragement:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
She's a beauty alright! I love the old-school herringbone soundhole rosette!

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I had a DV-52 before I let it go to get a DV-72. Yours, Stu, looks the same as mine did. I too had a satin finished DV-52, which, IMHO, brings out the beautiful grain of the rosewood.