Nightmare feedback with D30

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Hey LTG friends! I got my '98 D30 AB a few months ago and love it completely. Up until this past Saturday, I had played it at outdoor gigs either plugged into a PA or my Fishman Loudbox Artist and never had a problem with feedback. On Saturday, however, I played at an indoor coffee shop in town and it was like Godzilla was unleashed! I had a terrible time trying to control the howling and squealing but absolutely nothing I did seemed to help. I tried the feedback controls on the amp, tilting the amp away from me. It was really bad. I had to turn the guitar volume way down to where I could hardly hear it. The guitar came with a LR Baggs Element pickup (under the saddle pickup).
I know that feedback is a common problem with acoustics, but without going into a lot of extra EQ equipment and gadgets, what should I do in the future to control this? Is it just a matter of rolling the bass and midrange controls way down? Advice please.....!
best,
Tony

'84 D40 NT
'96 D4 NT
'96 D25 CH
'98 D225 NT
'98 D30 AB
'00 Taylor 414ce

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I highly suggest getting some sort of soundhole cover. They work.
Either a bare bones rubber one like this one from Planet Waves:
81HARtFFFaL._SX355_.jpg

Or a more decorative option by Lute Hole (sorry for the T, grabbed the first pic I saw.):
lutehole7.jpg

Reaction score
I highly suggest getting some sort of soundhole cover. They work.
Either a bare bones rubber one like this one from Planet Waves:
81HARtFFFaL._SX355_.jpg

Or a more decorative option by Lute Hole (sorry for the T, grabbed the first pic I saw.):
lutehole7.jpg

+1

And, what I use:

Fishman Aura Spectrum PreAmp/D.I. I use it between the guitar and amp. Also has a D.I.

PIiLqRw.jpg
[/IMG]

It has a button for automatic feedback suppression...filters out up to 3 distinct feedback frequencies with one punch of the button...and it has phase switching! I never have a problem with feedback...and we play LOUD!

gilded

Reaction score
I was thinking get a sound hole cover, too.

As well, if you haven't moved your controls from the gig, set it up in your room and take a good look at it. Maybe you'll see something glaringly wrong. In the meantime:

1) Check the phantom power button and see if it's accidentally on. That could be boosting your signal plenty.

2) Look at the fx controls. People always make them too strong and the amp can get carried away.

3) Look at reviews on youTube. Here are two, one from premier guitar and one from acoustic guitar.

Here they are. See how these players set the guitars they are viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXCh1vSupRM

premier guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVo06hV0MOo

acoustic guitar

Good luck, we've all been there!

gil'

Last edited:

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I tried a Planet Waves sound hole cover on my D25 (had the same problem) and it didn't fit! The sound holes in Guilds seem to be smaller than most guitars so I got an O Ring; sort of like a sound hole baffle which flares out on the inside of the sound hole and that did the trick.
I was wondering if maple (what the D30 is constructed of) is more prone to feedback since the wood is harder than mahogany? Or does the wood material not have anything to do with feedback?
Thanks for the advice!
Tony

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
+1 on the soundhole cover. In my performing days I always kept a few on hand just in case we had to run through the house PA at some gigs instead of our own PA. I think the soundhole cover will probably cure 99.999% of your feedback. I had a drummer who was really loud right behind me and a pair of Lead Guitarists that had to have their amps up all the time plus the mix of a on stage monitor facing me and the acoustic guitar when using the house PA. No matter how loud the stage volume got my Acoustics never had feedback with the sound hole cover. If you have soundhole controls on your acoustic for volume and tone you can always just cut an edge of the soundhole cover out to reach them. Best of luck!

TX

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bought that Planet Waves Screaching Halt feedback buster (4 inch diameter) and it will not fit the sound hole of my Guild F-47R (approximately 3 7/8 inches) without some modifications.

Check your sound hole diameter before you order.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
The Lute Hole covers look intriguing. I have a volume control knob in the sound hole. Will the Lute Hole still fit? Thanks for all the great advice!

tarheelguild

Reaction score
Actually just measured the sound hole of my D30 and it's 4 inches, slightly wider than my D25.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Lute Hole covers look intriguing. I have a volume control knob in the sound hole. Will the Lute Hole still fit? Thanks for all the great advice!
Their website says they can custom fit then for all types of holes: oval holes, working around soundhole pups, controls, etc.

tarheelguild

Reaction score
I just ordered a Lute Hole for the D30. Hopefully this will take care of the problem. I don't ever want to go through a gig like last Saturday again! Thanks everyone for your "feedback"!
Tony
'84 D40 NT
'96 D25 CH
'96 D4 NT
'98 D30 AB
'98 D225
'00 Taylor 414ce

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Tarheel, The most annoying thing is to try to do a show and have to worry about fighting feedback all night long instead of enjoying the moment of playing for other folks. I'm sure the lutehole will work out great for you.

TX

swiveltung

Reaction score
I found that situation a couple times. Just had to ride the edge of volume to control it. Turned the bass down, but that was an issue when I wanted to play slide because I like the bass boosted for that. I got a soundhole cover but it doesnt entirely solve the problem for sure. My current attempt on my oval soundhole F5CE is foam inside and a neoprene pad on top. The foam is inside and the black neoprene on top so the hole looks black. Even that isnt a 100% fix though. A volume pedal is very useful as you can micro adjust on the fly.
Anyone make an oval spoundhole cover?

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
1) Check the phantom power button and see if it's accidentally on. That could be boosting your signal plenty.

We use phantom power for our condenser mics.
I have never heard of a pickup being affected by phantom power before.
At least it hasn't happened to me before.