The X-150

Rialto1564

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for more info on a Westerly made X-150. In particular:
-Do they have more acoustic sound and volume than the X-170?
-Does feedback tend to be a problem with them?
-How are they braced?

Interested in using it for small jazz gigs.

Thanks,

matsickma

Reaction score
In comparing the overall sound of a late model X150 to a X170 they are more open sounding. I had a relatively late model sunburst X150...that I think came out of the Corona factory. I had trouble controlling feedback and didn't really bond with the guitar so I sold it. At the time I may not have been aware of the differences in the HB1 made by Guild, SD and Fender. It may have had Fender HB1's pickups which tend to be pretty flat sounding for my tastes. I would recommend you to purchase an X175 from 70's or 80's.
M

Rialto1564

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I was looking at the 170, 175, and then the 150 because of its mahogany neck, which I think might make it a bit darker, warmer sounding. Also, I see them with one pickup which might add to an acoustic quality.

I definitely haven't ruled out the 170/175 though. Just trying to learn more about the different options, etc. at this point.

Thanks

matsickma

Reaction score
The X170 is very different from a X175. The X175 has more in common with a X150 than it has with a X170.
M

Rialto1564

Reaction score
Thanks matsickma.

Yes, I see the X-170 is a bit slimmer, etc. At this point I guess I have to try some out in person.

As a kid I had a chance to try a family member's Guild, which I now think was an X-175, before I knew anything about the different models. It made a great impression on me. Unfortunately, it was later stolen.

Now, just have to find a local guitar store with a rack of Westerly made Guilds waiting to be discovered....

Neal

Reaction score
I think Neal has one, so he should be commenting soon.

Mine is one of the original 1953 X-150 prototypes (in the rare Redburst finish) out of Manhattan, so it bears little in common with the later offerings out of Westerly. Big, big archtop (17" at the lower bout), very deep body (3 3/8"), long scale (25.5") spruce laminate top, maple back, sides and neck, fully hollow, with a single Franz pickup. The nut width is a generous 1 3/4". Feedback potential is high under band conditions, but as a jazz or country instrument, it is hard to beat. Warm, warm tone, and wonderful playability.

By comparison, the late Westerly F-150 I used to own was a half inch narrower, a half inch shallower, 3/4" shorter in scale length and a little slimmer at the nut. It did have a soundpost under the bridge to curb feedback, but this also diminished the acoustic properties of the tone that I love so much with the '53.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I believe that the X-150 is basically the same guitar as the X-160 Rockabilly sans Bigsby and with different pickups and a wooden bridge (and obviously different finishes). If you can get it cheaply enough, get a Bigsby and a pair of TV Jones T'Armonds to fit and you'll have a better Rockabilly.

matsickma

Reaction score
Sounds reasonable. I once saw what must have been a Rockibilly prototype...Sunburst, two DeArmond model 2000 reissues AND vol & tone controls for each of the two pickup which would indicate the lineage to a X150.
M

matsickma

Reaction score
I have a black Rockibilly from Westerly. The sunburst X150 I owned for a while was out if Corona. It had a different feel and was a little smaller than the Westerly Rockibilly. I think it was a little shallower and the body bout diameter a little smaller. Not a lot but I could feel the difference. Nice guitar and I probably didn't bond with it because of the Fender HB1's (which I probably didn't realize was the issue or I would have put in a pair of SD1's to try it out).
M

matsickma

Reaction score
Note that the X170 has a sound post under the bridge which combined with the thinner body yields a pretty feedback resistant guitar.
When played as an electric it is "tighter" sounding but opens up acoustically when played as an electric.

M

Sleeko

Reaction score
I have one of the Corona built Savoy X-150's. It is a little smaller, solidly made and by far the loudest unplugged out of all my archtops. A hot little number fursur!

5tIdUVZ.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I owned both in Mint like new condition a Corona X150D and a Corona X160 Rockabilly at the same time that were separated by 7 digits on the serial numbers. The X160 is based off of the X150 platform. That being said my X160 sounded much better acoustically than the X150 did. Honestly after trying and trying I couldn't develop a bond with the X150D so I traded it in on a nice American Vintage Reissue 56 Strat in the see through Mary Kay Finish on an Ash body.

Something to consider as I see a couple of models being mentioned in comparison with the Late model X150 is that the X150 has a Full Laminated Maple construction including the top. The X175 models that everyone is mentioning have a laminated Spruce top instead of Maple which to me gives the guitar a Sweeter Acoustic tone as well as plugged in. The Laminated Maple on the the top of the late 90's/early 2000's X150 kind of suppressed the acoustic tone to me and sort of Deadened the plugged in tone a bit, which is what a Laminated Maple top is supposed to do to help prevent feedback when plugged in. Still the X150 is a nice sounding guitar and they can be found from time to time for right around $1000 used in excellent condition if you look for them.

Rialto1564

Reaction score
...a different feel...I would have put in a pair of SD1's...

Thanks. Yeah, I think I have the SD1's in my 97 Starfire, and it sounds really nice. Was thinking about adding them to other instruments as well, but that's a different discussion...

Rialto1564

Reaction score
Note that the X170 has a sound post under the bridge which combined with the thinner body yields a pretty feedback resistant guitar. When played as an electric it is "tighter" sounding but opens up acoustically when played as an electric.

That's the impression I'm getting as well. Not necessarily bad things. Will just have to make a decision on how acoustic of an instrument to get.

Rialto1564

Reaction score
I'll keep that distinction in mind txbumper, especially since I don't have anything with a spruce top in the mix.

matsickma

Reaction score
I see my one comment had an error that needs correcting. I mentioned the X170 has a "tighter" sound when playing as an ELECTRIC and opens up when played as an electric. It should have said "the X170 had a tighter sound when played as an ACOUSTIC".
X170's resit feedback better than a thin SF2 or 3 and a DE400.
M