What 1 3/4" Nut Guilds would you recommend

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I can share . I was listening to some of my songs , yes I’m guilty of going that how else do we get better ? Lol
Anyway I had a Gad f130rce ? It was about 3 to 4 years back a new model . This a song I did on it was plugged in and the UST is the only way I recognized it lol as I don’t like them and it was only one I had besides my Epi which is way different sounding but this guild Guitar I should have kept or found a better version of the same model as mine had dying notes the higher up you went . If you can get past the UST tone is pretty darn good and has great sustain .
https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/rhythm-in-your-soul
There’s good gads out there!

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
The GAD-30RE I used to own had a 1.75" nut width and it sounded wonderful. I never should have let it go. Also, every F-30 I saw from New Hartford had that nut width.

Did you see both Standard and Traditional from New Hartford? When Mrs. Fro. played one of each at an LMG petting zoo the Traditional definitely had a narrower nut than the Standard. Even the bassist could see that. Since the claimed spec was 1 3/4" for Standard and 1 11/16" for Traditional I'm willing to believe the instruments were made to spec.

As a veer we all know that relating Guild model numbers to specs is not easy and you sometimes need to know model, date/or factory and perhaps even "series" to come close. I'm thinking the the F-30 might be the biggest offender in the sense that there are more distinctly different specs attributed to an "F30" than any other model number in Guild's history to date.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey, while I'm at it asking Guild value questions... can anyone explain to me why a GUILD GAD is priced used for about the price of the new M-120 and OM-120?

Both Guild guitars made in China. Both solid wood construction... I don't understand...? I've read such mixed reviews of GADs. But their resale seems high to me. Anyone care to educate me on that?

Dunno. I'd guess buyers and sellers are a bit confused - I have mistaken GADs for USA made Guilds - or perhaps a vintage MIC guitar has opened up and if it has survived it is noticeably better than a new MIC guitar.

tommym

Reaction score
..... I'm thinking the the F-30 might be the biggest offender in the sense that there are more distinctly different specs attributed to an "F30" than any other model number in Guild's history to date.

Yeah, and if you include the overseas built F-30 style guitars too (the GAD, Westerly Collection, etc.), the string spacing varied throughout the years from 2 1/8", 2 5/32", and 2 1/4".

There is a very noticeable difference between my New Hartford F-30 / F-30R Standards with 1 3/4" nut and the 2 5/32" string spacing, verses my Westerly F-30's with the 1 11/16" nut and the 2 1/8" string spacing.

Tommy

cutrofiano

Reaction score
Hey, while I'm at it asking Guild value questions... can anyone explain to me why a GUILD GAD is priced used for about the price of the new M-120 and OM-120?

I have sold one of my two F-150R CE GAD for more than the price that it had been sold originally:
The GAD has some features that the Westerly doesn't have, like bindings on the neck, mother-of-pearl block inlays and a TKL Deluxe hardshell case instead of a soft case.

By the way:
Merle Trevis' famous Martin D28 Bigsby neck has a 1 11/16" nut width, which is as close to the 43 mm my F-150R CE has (4,29 mm) as can be, though it was advertised as having a 1 3/4" nut width.

Moritz

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Also it is "We Put the YEE-HAW back in your motor and transmission." I hate it when amateurs get it mixed up. Feel free to come on down and we can put the nut back in the shell you flippin' Pistachio! LOL:tongue:
I hijacked the phrase to turn it to my own nefarious purposes.
I want whup-*** in your '50 Ford and yee-haw in the 4WD you go muddin' in.
Don't make me call Bluesy to straighten you out.
TX
I think he'd rather be called "Pascal".
Or maybe "Stretch Hand".
:eek:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
6-string Guilds with 1 3/4 " nut (as of 2014):

1 3/4 nut:
AO-3CE Arcos
AO-5CE Arcos
AF-50E Arcos
AF-50CE Arcos
CS 60th Anniversary F-30 Koa
DD-6MCE Doyle Dykes Signature Maple
DD-6RCE Doyle Dykes Signature Rosewood
F-30 Standard
F-30R Standard
F-130 GAD
F-130R GAD
F-130CE GAD
F-130RCE GAD
GSR F-30 Maple
GSR F-30CE Cocobolo
R-30S Roundneck Resonator

From the 90's there was the
A25
A50

In post #6 Rayk also mentioned some of the Tacoma made models.

Ralf

Neal

Reaction score
Yeah, and if you include the overseas built F-30 style guitars too (the GAD, Westerly Collection, etc.), the string spacing varied throughout the years from 2 1/8", 2 5/32", and 2 1/4".

There is a very noticeable difference between my New Hartford F-30 / F-30R Standards with 1 3/4" nut and the 2 5/32" string spacing, verses my Westerly F-30's with the 1 11/16" nut and the 2 1/8" string spacing.

Tommy

Hey, man, totally veering...

What is your assessment of the F-30R Standard? I have been looking for one all over. I had one in my grasp about six months ago and hesitated just a tad too long!